1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Science Media Centre (including Fiona Fox)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Esther12, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Science Media Centre director Fiona Fox has now published the book: Beyond the Hype - The Inside Story of Media's Biggest Controversies (published 7 April 2022).

She is going to be talking about it at this year's Hay Festival in a couple of weeks (5 June).

The chapter on ME/CFS is entitled: "First they came for the communists..." :eyeroll:

I have downloaded it, and I will go through it more throughly over the next few days. From a quick skim read, much of what she says is very familiar - but entirely unreferenced. It gives the veneer of balance but is very one-sided. People on here are referred to but not named. For example, @dave30th is quoted ("PACE trial is a piece of cr*p").

Mostly it's the same old, 'small, vocal group of activists who are unrepresentative of the majority of those with ME/CFS are causing all the trouble, and it's a shame because they are ruining it for all those poor genuine sufferers out there.' [paraphrase]

:(

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  2. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the CEO of a Registered Charity has written a book in which she compares, by implication, patient advocacy with the Holocaust ? Still we are only a small group of mass murderers so I guess that makes sense.

DokaGirl, MeSci, FMMM1 and 15 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd love a copy of that if it could be pm'd somehow.

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Lucibee

It's available on Amazon...

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the actual title? Because if so this is grounds for lawsuits, she is literally calling us Nazis. And not just regular Nazis who were just following orders, it comes from a poem published in 1946, after the war, after all the horrors of the Nazi regime were exposed to the world, after the Final solution. Those who "came for the communists" were the Nazi regime's death machine.

And in all irony, completely misrepresenting it, although probably on purpose. They are the authorities, and "coming for the communists" was about disappearances, about people being kidnapped by secret police and the military, sent to camps. We are the ones being disappeared, by the authorities.

The people involved in those lies, herself, Wessely, Sharpe, White, etc. they are still authorities. None of them lost their jobs, let alone disappeared from public view.

So this is DARVO: deny, attack, reverse victim and offender, the tool of bullies. Nazis calling their own victims the real enemy. Which they did, it's how they justified what they did.

The absolute moral bankruptcy of these people, living in an alternate reality where they are victims of disappearance, even as they ruined millions of lives, lives who actually disappeared. I thought I could not be more disgusted by them, but I doubt Fox wrote and published that without getting input from the rest.

Sue their ass. I'm sorry, this is the UK, so: sue their arse. Into bankruptcy.

JoanneS, TigerLilea, Lisa108 and 11 others like this.
  7. Lucibee

One section that stood out to me in that chapter was this - and I think it indicates just how much the wool has been pulled over their eyes:
    I'd put money on that being Sharpe and the 2-year follow up paper.
    I wonder why they didn't want it publicised...
    Not fear, certainly. Embarrassment maybe?

8. chrisb

Do we really believe in their naivety?

9. Lucibee

Well, yes. Her job is to believe the scientists and help them convey their message.

When I lost the ability to do that, I lost my career.

Here's another quote:
    However, science *is* a political endeavour. To believe that science (as done by most scientists) is a truly objective and impartial activity is horribly naive.

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't give her money!

It's difficult to believe that Fox is not aware of being a propagandist.

11. chrisb

I thought they had been playing this game for nigh on forty years. If they haven't yet learned the rules it would be a surprise.

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am wondering if she has picked up on any of my militant remarks?

I have been thinking about doing a Division of Medicine Grand Round at UCL on the state of play with charlatanism in clinical trials and what not. This would be a good thing to build it around I think. 'First they came for the communists...' would be a nice title to get a big audience. If I am misrepresented all the better.

But for me to get a copy would surely purely be in the cause of good science?

I will throw in a screenshot of that rant email from someone to Gill Leng. All good clean entertainment for an august medical body.

Joh, MeSci, FMMM1 and 29 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got the e-book in two ticks for £8.49.

That certainly is the title for the ME chapter.
    I will write a review right now.

Joh, Ali, MeSci and 31 others like this.
  14. Lucibee

Another quote:
    I thought they resigned *after* they had signed it off?

Presumably there are other issues with this account that need addressing by someone who was actually there...

15. chrisb

It makes you wonder who was briefing the media, for them to get it so wrong.

FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  16. chrisb

The " First they came for the communists..." quote.

Could it by any chance be a reference to the Revolutionary Communist Party?

17. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

Fiona Fox is definitely not naive, she is a spin master. Her framing ME sufferers as "militant extremists" was a master spin stroke and reversal of reality/Darvo - because the only actual real life, real world, militant extremist in the whole sorry PACE affair is Fox herself, in her past active political life.

https://powerbase.info/index.php/Fiona_Fox

18. Lucibee

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That story sounds like complete BS. They continued publishing papers after that and always relish any publicity that puts them in the limelight, still do. They keep demanding to do more research and obviously publicize it every time.

This is beyond naïve, no one in such a high level position is that dumb. Fox is playing propagandist here, at the very least it is easy to know this is completely false. If she chooses not to, well, that's basically the whole point of the book, isn't it?

obeat, Peter Trewhitt, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  20. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fiona Fox said:
    People who dislike what the SMC does love to point out that I joined a far-left revolutionary group in my college days, and imply that I have brought some kind of political agenda into the world of science. ... Far from bringing any political views into science, I have become ever more convinced that science should try hard to maintain a clear separation from politics. Many will say that this is also naive...

Oh the old 'we were all idiots at university and held all sorts of vews/got involved in all sorts of silly things/ we no longer believe in or associate with' guff ....

Fiona Fox would have left university circa 1986 - are we to believe her Revolutionary Communist Party/Living Marxism/Spiked ideology, tactics, methods, was left behind in the Junior Common Room in the mid 80's? Fiona Foster was Fox's pen name for her RCP/LM/IFM activities and articles, a sample from 1990 - 1999 ....

The Science Media Centre opened in 2001, Fiona Fox was Director from the beginning:

1995-1999