1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good link, this is the segment he had a couple nights ago, where his friend discussed her long COVID PEM and OI issues. He also had another segment last night

MEMarge, Kitty, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The doctor says at one point it’s not like other post viral syndromes, which may or may not be true. The blood vessel angle is interesting but again some ME/CFS research has found abnormalities in this area.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Chezboo, MEMarge, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  3. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on my reading of retrospective studies, I would say no two post infectious syndrome types are the same except for the ME/CFS symptoms, meaning you will have a cluster of symptoms that are specific to the initial infection that eventually is self limiting, though not necessarily the ME symptoms that came with them.

Chezboo, MEMarge, Amw66 and 12 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know there's been quite a bit of speculation that Boris Johnson may have it, or at least not have recovered particularly well from the original illness.
    If someone in his position were to discuss it publicly, people would certainly listen.

ladycatlover, Nellie, JemPD and 8 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think it would be extremely unlikely he would. Just look at his fairly recent little push-ups stunt where he attempted to prove how fit he was post Covid-19. But, in general, yes, it would be great if someone did.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Tom Bosworth: British race walker rules out competing this season after long-lasting effects of coronavirus
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/54010324

8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NIH - Director's Blog - by Francis Collins
    Citizen Scientists Take on the Challenge of Long-Haul COVID-19

More information is now emerging from the first detailed patient survey of post-COVID syndrome, also known as Long COVID [1]. What’s unique about the survey is that it has been issued by a group of individuals who are struggling with the syndrome themselves. These citizen scientists, who belong to the online Body Politic COVID-19 Support Group , decided to take matters into their own hands. They already had a pretty good grip on what sort of questions to ask, as well as online access to hundreds of long-haulers to whom they could pose the questions.

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NIH director who refused to act despite saying there is no hope without action has words to say, not much action to show for it.

Citizen Scientists Take on the Challenge of Long-Haul COVID-19

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/...-take-on-the-challenge-of-long-haul-covid-19/

Only some "citizen science", I guess. But also the usual kind of science, which has clearly shown that significant actions should have been taken years ago. The NIH has been sitting for 5 years on the IOM report. Way past the point of willful negligence.

No matter what happens moving forward, it is critical that ample blame be laid on those who manufactured this crisis in the pursuit of insane ideological delusions, at best for enabling this clearly delusional nonsense. Even if that blame must be laid on those tasked with fixing it, maybe especially so. Collins could have acted, even told us the emptiest possible words to our (virtual) faces: no hope without action. Well, no significant action was taken, hence the continuing hopelessness.

alktipping, sebaaa and ScottTriGuy like this.
  12. rvallee

Literally followed GET with expert support.

Or as the BPS brigade would say: the bastard just doesn't want to get better. I'm still amazed they actually published that.

13. rvallee

https://twitter.com/user/status/1301549959490285569

This is where the MUS/FND/BPS conflict with reality, NHS explicitly advise to do the opposite of that, trains and encourages GPs to dismiss those patients, shunt them off to the psychobabble bin. Maybe in people with confirmed tests this could work but most don't have that so no dice.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1301549998128144385

The entire BPS ideology is incompatible with this. So now what? BPS is clearly a massive disaster that needs to be dismantled, but too much escalation of commitment makes it impossible without admitting to manufactured failure, careers going down in flame, massive litigation.

Extraordinary claims. Extraordinary evidence. Always heed that. Good grief people heed that when millions of lives are at stake.

14. rvallee

15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor Tom. He's had enough to deal with in recent years without this. God willing, sooner or later he will actually reap the rewards which his undoubted abilities deserve, but now he's back at about square one due to the training equivalent of GET :(

Shinygleamy, sebaaa, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SARS-2 can certainly cause serious heart problems in (somewhat) rare cases, but this does not apply to most COVID19 cases...

sebaaa, ScottTriGuy, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Michelle, alktipping, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

good to see proper recognition for 'a man called David Tuller'

see
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/indep...ed-by-hilda-bastian.13645/page-28#post-267207

20. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last night on CNN Chris Como interviewed Dr. William Li who says it appears that COVID is a 'blood vessel disease' causing severe damage to the vascular system, which would explain why the virus seems to be affecting all organs.

Dr Li is an internal medicine physician and a research scientist—specifically a vascular biologist. He’s been actively involved in angiogenesis research and clinical analysis for more than two decades. Angiogenesis is the development of new blood vessels and Dr. Li is one of the world’s leading experts in this field.

Hutan, Sean, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.