1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. large donner

large donner Guest

He must be including all the MPs from the hearing the other day in these accusations. I think we should tweet them all with his message so they know what time wasters they are too.

The man is utterly delusional he thinks hes some kind of God who has the ability to grant us opportunities if he deems us worthy as long as we are his little gaslighted army.

No one engaged with him to learn answers to the questions they posed, the answers are there in black and white, people went there to ask him obvious questions to ascertain the level of deception he was prepared to attempt to continue.

Next time he is asked to engage may be a cross parliamentary hearing that he gets summonsed too and unfortunately for him his engaging in dialogue claims just are not washing with influential people anymore.

On top off that he has published his own record of his utter delusion on twitter that adds to the potential to take his double speak and nonsense to task.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might it be an idea to make this thread members only?

5. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He might be a member.

Inara, Lisa108, Nellie and 7 others like this.
  6. large donner

large donner Guest

Just incase we do I would like to take this opportunity to say goodbye to professor Sharpe and as MPs have woken up ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

MEMarge, JaimeS and alktipping like this.
  7. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t think we have anything to hide.

In fact he is welcome to be a member as long as he respects our values....what’s the one about critical debate ?

I would probably give him about 2 days though before he broke a few though. Disrespecting other members might be a tricky one for him since most twitter threads I’ve noticed end with him making personal remarks about people offering up critiques and then banning them.

8. large donner

large donner Guest

I agree.

On the plus side for him being a member here will give him access to a library of well sourced and evidenced based information on what garbage the PACE trial is.

Can I suggest he reads the information.

9. Pechius

Pechius Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this forum would be a terrible medium for Sharpe, because unlike twitter, there's no character limit and he can't block anyone. He would have no chance with elaborate and well argued responses from members to his nonsense. That's one of the reasons why he's not here and will never be.

10. large donner

large donner Guest

Damn it another "missed opportunity" for us then!

alktipping likes this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A new thread has been set up here where reports from PACE trial participants (on harm experienced as well as other aspects) can be recorded.

We feel that the posts in this thread with such reports should stay as an integral part of this rambling thread. But posters who posted PACE trial participant reports are encouraged to copy them in to the new thread.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  12. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The strange thing is that I think it was me who first wrote “GOTCHA!” in this thread, and yet I appear to be one of the few people who have not been blocked (see: https://www.s4me.info/threads/micha...ohnthejack-on-twitter.3464/page-79#post-83525).

I would not ordinarily use such tabloid language when discussing such serious issues, but it felt appropriate in the context of the thread and Sharpe and Wessely’s own goals. However, for all the laughs they have given me, I would hate any outside observers to think that I, or anyone else in this forum, consider this to be some sort of game. Lest there be any doubt, the reason I am challenging these people is to try to expose their flawed ideas and irresponsible actions which I consider to be responsible for a significant part of the misery that I have endured through 26 years of debilitating illness. I sincerely wish that such actions were not necessary, that I was able to use my limited resources to focus on things that have nothing to do with my illness. But those who are charged with our care and protection have failed us for decades, leaving many of us to feel that we have no choice but to fight for ourselves for the dignity and respect we have been denied – the human rights to which every citizen is entitled.

I know others feel differently but, for what it is worth, I have no problem being called an activist. It is probably an accurate description of what I have become, and I am proud to follow in the footsteps of those who have fought oppression and injustice to make the world a better place. What makes me angry is that such activism has become so necessary.

[Edit: typo]

13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Even funnier, even heavily stacked, PACE still didn't produce a good result for them.

14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I keep wondering why with so many favourable biases they got such terrible results with no statistically significant difference between arms at long term follow-up.

15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is also patient selection bias - those who are unable to exercise would never have participated in the PACE trial in the first place.

16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"I'm going to block you because" I don't want to answer difficult questions and then saying "kind regards". This is passive aggressive to a tee.

17. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Link: https://www.s4me.info/threads/pace-reports-from-trial-participants-get-cbt.4761/

Woolie, alktipping, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I vote we start this expanded research project with the correlation calculations on the full PACE data set.

The data has already been gathered, and those calcs will very likely reveal some good answers, one way or another, and thus help guide future research, which I am sure all parties can agree should be as well-directed as possible.

Invisible Woman, sea, ukxmrv and 6 others like this.
  19. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven’t managed to keep up with screenshots of Tweets and am now without my laptop til next week. I will try and do more then (just on phone now). Maybe someone could grab important ones in the meantime- like that “block you - kind regards” one.

20. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The timing of this is very interesting. It looks to me as though someone must have read Steven Lubet's column on Virology yesterday and brought it to Sharpe's attention that he was doing more harm than good.