1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

His sudden change of heart and ‘lock down’ suggest this doesn’t it.

Shame it’s all been put in the public domain for all to see like all critical debates (or attempts at them) should be.

I think even though he hasn’t answered any of the questions about his research he has revealed exactly his position and that is useful to carry on the debate elsewhere.

I would like to thank Michael Sharpe for his contribution it’s been really useful.

2. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The psych lobby shows up in periods of great threats. Timing is everything. It reminds me of when ME-ICC got published. This is when Wessely decided he needed to intervene and claimed he has received death threats. In this current case, I think all of this PR on Twitter by Sharpe was related to the parliamentary discussion from last week. They are defending their turf.

3. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Agree, we have been forced into ‘activism’. I too was blocked by Sharpe yesterday when he was doing his blanket blocking. Am surprised I lasted this long. The man is entirely lacking in self-awareness and is chillingly unaware of harms visited on us because of his ‘science’. His tweets are truly parodic if not downright sinister. #jesuisvexatious

4. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure whether much productive has come from these exchanges with Prof Sharpe.

I'm concerned that a number of these exchanges have not helped the reputation of pwME (on twitter, at least). Lots of people with ME themed profiles liking each others tweets and passionately responding to particular people, and maybe a couple actually insulting them, isn't a good look. It feeds into the idea that pwME are on a vendetta against/harassing people/researchers, that they're unreasonable, and that they're excessively concerned with their sick role or that having ME relates to a kind of online groupthink.

I think online dialogue and awareness are really important, but I believe pwME may not be coming out looking too good in all these exchanges.

I'm not happy to make these observations, but I think they're necessary to make.

alktipping, Binkie4, Louie41 and 3 others like this.
  5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

I posted a link to him yesterday. He's not showing in the thread now of course because I am blocked.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1011259875035418625

His retweets this morning are interesting.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1011497485095882752

And
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1011499174678945792

Wonder if they'll be discussing PACE.

6. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

7. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

On the contrary, Michael’s tweets have reinforced the notion that PACE scientists simply will not listen to valid criticism. Unless pwME are being hostile or rude or bombarding MS with multiple tweets - which I have seen seldom - we really need to get away from the notion that we can’t speak up without reinforcing idea of vendetta. He is provoking patients and advocates with his insolence. It really is that simple.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2018
    Simone, Invisible Woman, sea and 15 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

9. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we should encourage people to save any tweet we think it worth posting to wayback machine, so it's publicly archived? This is easy to do, and I've got a browser add on that makes it even easier. Thanks for all your work Keela, we should really try to share it out now.

edit: The following are links to the wayback machine, and they show up fine here as tweets. I think it would be good if we could try to save copies of any tweets we think are worth posting to the wayback machine, and then linking to the archived tweet, rather than one which could disappear in the future.

"@_NathalieWright Sorry. I am going to block you as we are going round circles. Kind regards"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1011332991841439745

"To CFS and ME patients and activists. I am grateful to those who engage in genuine dialogue. Unfortunately not all do and some waste time playing games of 'gotcha'. I am sorry but life is just too short and those playing games will be blocked. A lost opportunity."

https://twitter.com/user/status/1011336212269993985

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've saved some responses, but I can't see "Tweets and Replies".

msharpe_26jun2018_1.png

msharpe_26jun2018_2.png

msharpe_26jun2018_3.png

msharpe_26jun2018_4.png

msharpe_26jun2018_5.png

12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By now Sharpe is likely well aware of this thread, just FYI...

Simone, alktipping, Inara and 4 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hi Mick why dont you have a good look round on the forum you might learn something

14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on some of the Tweets I would say he was possibly aware of it nearly a hundred pages back.

15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and they don't want that looked at too carefully.
    Has he diverted us from actions that would have helped us more? In my view, in the light of the debate last week, yes.
    Now it's over, then he can afford to drop it.

Invisible Woman and alktipping like this.
  16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I assume he and his cronies can and do read this forum, including the members only section, any time they like. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. All open and transparent here at S4ME, as science should be.

17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Good.

Fine by me.

Simone, sea, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  18. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

yep thats the unhelpful belief right there