1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adolescent’s descriptions of fatigue, fluctuation and payback in CFS/ME: interviews with adolescents and parents, 2018, Crawley et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Amw66, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately there is no biological or objective evidence/research mentioned here either.

I didn't come across anything that suggests the authors weren't anything other than sympathetic in how they presented their findings.
    However I'm not sure sceptic would find the results that interesting.
    And I think if one was so inclined, one might think that a lot of the impairment was down to mood and adolescents not doing things for no particular reason.

andypants, rvallee and Snow Leopard like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There may be some value in the paper in terms of the particular wordings adolescents and/or their parents used to describe symptoms, their impairments, etc.

Two quotes I highlighted to myself were
    But I'm not sure they or other quotes are that interesting so I'm not sure I'm going to spend time highlighting them.

So overall I found it a bit bland.

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Omg they’ve got 13 year olds on amitryptiline

andypants, MEMarge and Webdog like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it' s the go- to for sleep and pain. The only prescription our paediatrician would countenance.
    Lots of kids on this .

andypants and MEMarge like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yuk I found it made me so sluggish and it wasn’t that effective after a while and I’m a middle aged chunky woman. I know drugs affect different people in different ways but I find it concerning they can’t come up with something better. Nortryptiline had less of a hangover for me so may be worth trying but it still made me too lethargic so I stopped in the end. I’m mild moderate though so my experience not that useful for any severe folks.

andypants and MEMarge like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My concerns were what effect it would have on a developing brain . I could not find any info re testing on children.