1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adolescent’s descriptions of fatigue, fluctuation and payback in CFS/ME: interviews with adolescents and parents, 2018, Crawley et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Amw66, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New paper - has a number of red flags.

Focuses on fatigue description and " payback" as a description for PEM without much definition. Questionnaire based, pre diagnosed
    Mild/ moderate but not housebound
    I don't know if any comorbidities (OI, EDS etc) have even been thought about

I have not had time to dip into to it, but given questionnaire basis and age group involved have some concerns re " telling people what they want to hear to make them go away", which may be unfounded.
    Heterogenity of illness highlighted

https://bmjpaedsopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000281.info
    https://bmjpaedsopen.bmj.com/content/bmjpo/2/1/e000281.full.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Abstract:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Dolphin, inox, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My - isn't that insightful.

4. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone outside the UK still consider the BMJ a high quality journal? It seems to have very low standards these days. I strongly object to the term " payback". It's loaded with blame.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Sarah94, dangermouse, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  5. Amw66

I find it disheartening that after so many years of adolescent research, that researchers and those treating the illness have not got to grips with the basics.
    It is not fatigue, it is fatiguability that distinguishes things; moreover fatigue may not be the most debilitating of symptoms for many, but seems to be the most focused upon. Everything else is treated as " other", when it could be intrinsic, could be another diagnosis, could be treatable.....

Sarah94, Mithriel, EzzieD and 15 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Conclusion. Some kids are sicker than others.
    Wow, what a revelation.

Sarah94, Johanna WJ, Dolphin and 20 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Note semi structured interviews - the framing of the topic would be interesting to see and may account for the fatigue focus and any introduction of bias; is there any way to access this ?

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That suggests to me they are overdiagnosing - including kids who don't have ME. Tiredness on its own is not ME.

Sarah94, Johanna WJ, Chezboo and 20 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Exactly this.....that's also why sleep hygiene, GET and CBT work....

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin, EzzieD, inox and 4 others like this.
  11. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Questions:

1. Was this group recruited from the same group that Crawley treats?
    2. If so, why would we trust subjective answers from anyone in the group?

MEMarge, Inara, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It says in the small print, "Patient consent: Not required.". I'm surprised that no consent was required, can anybody offer an explanation why it wouldn't be needed?

MEMarge, Lidia, Inara and 11 others like this.
  13. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely this is just yet more Blah from the same data as @dave30th is looking at currently? Dates match? Adolescents and parents interviewed. Haven't had time to read the full paper yet.

MEMarge, Trish and Luther Blissett like this.
  14. ladycatlover

It's St Esther - she can do what she wants. :mad: But I haven't read the whole thing yet - maybe there's some sort of excuse? Guessing it might be something along the lines of "this data used for other papers so we can do what the hell we like with it now as we got permission before already." :ill:

(edited for punctuation)

MEMarge, Inara, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  15. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Or service evaluation?:whistle:

MEMarge, rvallee, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  16. ladycatlover

I'm wrong about the dates etc. Here's what it says about Ethics Approval:

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, inox, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Stopped there.

Enough with the career-enhancing qualitative spinfest. Use objective measures (and report them honestly), or GTFO of the game. :grumpy:

MEMarge, Hutan, Inara and 11 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But, that would be devastating to their case. Every objective study they tried failed miserably.

I think a much bigger deal should be made of that fact. They have been allowed to cheat for so long it's tradition at this point but the fact that they very deliberately and knowingly stay far away from objective research, to the point of stopping planned objective outcomes in their flagship study, really ought to be stated much more often. Like, every single time.

In the very best case this kind of subjective research can be useful as indicative that objective, more expensive, studies be made. But after 3 WHOLE DECADES of this nonsense the game is up. They have over a decade of NICE guidelines in place by now. This should have lead to large, objective measured outcomes to make sure the guidelines are actually working as intended. They were continued in 2017 on the basis that they worked, yet no data was brought forward. The subjective tiny trials are irrelevant after a whole decade in practice.

Objective research or GTFO indeed. This is a point of basic scientific integrity that can be made in general, not just about ME research. It is not controversial in itself.

MEMarge, Atle, Inara and 7 others like this.
  20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is no real psychobabble in this. Nor is there promotion of CBT, graded activity or similar approaches.

However it looks like an earlier version in the peer review process did ascribe some improvements to treatment in the centre

Parslow 2018 not in final version.jpg
    Parslow 2018 not in final version.jpg Parslow 2018 not in final version part 2 of table 1.jpg

Reviewer 2 said:
    https://bmjpaedsopen.bmj.com/content/bmjpo/2/1/e000281.reviewer-comments.pdf

andypants, MEMarge, Lidia and 2 others like this.