1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The micro-clot finding in Long Covid — implications for the possible aetiology of ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Blood (e.g. coagulation, cell stiffness)' started by SNT Gatchaman, Nov 2, 2021.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed -
    I'm in favour of researching anything that improves the health of people who are ill - may turn up something but I'd have thought a disrupted pathway (vitamin K2 or whatever) would have been flagged up in other studies.

Peter Trewhitt, Ariel and Wonko like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A couple of recent articles on nattokinase —

Effective management of atherosclerosis progress and hyperlipidemia with nattokinase: A clinical study with 1,062 participants (2022)

Degradative Effect of Nattokinase on Spike Protein of SARS-CoV-2 (2022)

3. SNT Gatchaman

I read that as a request for info from the patient group. He's probably being asked by other patients about what brand is best - doesn't know - so puts it out to the patient group. I am not aware of any related drug trials involving this research team. They have obliquely referenced "nutraceuticals" in some of their publications.

And as Jo says, it is all pretty peculiar. I have observed a parallel, best effort attempt at data gathering by the patients. This is of course financially and technically unsupported and unrigorous (as often highlighted by those posting the data) but this is a new patient group in a dire situation, who are trying to help themselves — when help has not been forthcoming from authorities.

While we've talked about "microclots" in this thread and others, and it is highly unlikely to be the fundamental underpinning of LC (as proposed by this research group), hypercoagulability is very clearly an important feature of this disease (with evidence of involvement in ME too). Even in those without the ME phenotype, a large excess of cardiovascular events is occurring. Pathological amyloid clotting and platelet hyperactivation can explain a hypercoagulable state, despite standard clinical measures of coagulation remaining unhelpfully normal. This should be pursued, and yet funding for formal investigation was rejected.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1547978525331693571

So almost inevitably, you end up with —

https://twitter.com/user/status/1574343049630871552

LarsSG, sebaaa, Chezboo and 5 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't understand why they(including Doug Kell) are including pwME to this mix? It has be researched and proven that this is not what is occurring in M.E.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And in doing so endorses the use of this as a treatment. To me this is seriously problematic on an ethical level and something that we have seen before with various people promoting, or seeming to promote, various 'treatments' before there is good evidence that they are safe and actually work.

alktipping, sebaaa, Binkie4 and 11 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

sebaaa, Binkie4, Chezboo and 2 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

We've seen the 'everybody else is talking about it so where's the harm' type of argument before and for people who are in a position of potential influence it should be no defence at all, they should be exhibiting a reasonable amount of self restraint for the good of the patient population that they claim to be concerned for.

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

'Many people are saying...'

TheBassist, JemPD and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

Swansea Bay Health News: Hospital team discovers why a routine treatment for severe Covid-19 can fail Also posted here.

See also this thread

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2023
    Lilas, sebaaa, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  10. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  11. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see absolutely no way this could spectacularly backfire.

Peter Trewhitt, Ariel and Wonko like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting result. Done and delivered quicker than it would take to sign the paperwork to get preliminary approval for a formal study. Even with dosage. Can't even think of a study that had such stark results.

In the early days, say the first year, of Long Covid, there was a flurry of experimentation with different drugs and Nattokinase is one of the few that stood the test of time, antihistamines being the other. Almost nothing else survived the experiment phase.

Variously I did see the odd mention of psychoactive drugs like SSRIs, but I basically saw all of them mentioned, none stood out, and it seems probably related to immunological processes, which IMO is likely the only relevant mechanism of action for all those drugs. The very name antidepressant is very misleading, a historical blunder.

13. Mij

How bizarre LongCovidPharmD going on about herxing in her replies.

Peter Trewhitt and Ariel like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

I did a quick search for "herxing" on this site and our colleague site. Just a few hits here, mostly in relation to (feisty) historic discussion about some near-fatalities with the Marshall protocol. Lots of hits on PR. I wonder whether the term "herxing" has been more broadly adopted by patients. Language evolves to suit needs I guess.

A relatively recent review article: The Jarisch–Herxheimer Reaction After Antibiotic Treatment of Spirochetal Infections: A Review of Recent Cases and Our Understanding of Pathogenesis (2017) indicates that the mechanism is not understood, so maybe this effect might have a broader aetiology? It seems like an interesting aspect that would be good to understand more fully in the above context.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Social media moves more quickly than established systems for formal trials? Of course it does, that should be no surprise to anybody. And what should not surprise anybody is that a quick Twitter poll, which will be open to all kinds of bias, on the efficacy of an alleged treatment should not be put forward as being as reliable or as worthwhile as a formal study.

alktipping, Lilas, sebaaa and 4 others like this.
  16. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The term herxing comes from Lyme-patients I think. It's used to describe symptoms flaring from excessive die-off of Lyme-spyrochetes during treatment. As for the scientific basis of all of it I don't know, but I know it's used in that context.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They look to me like well within the range of normal fluctuations, especially as it's a self selected sample with no information on length of treatment, what other treatments they are doing, length and severity of disease, and with much too small sample sizes to be statistically significant, no control group, no blinding, subjective outcomes etc. I suspect even CBT could show pretty graphs like this and would be equally misleading.

alktipping, Lilas, cassava7 and 3 others like this.
  18. Mij

The term herxing has been used for decades by ME/CFS patients. It has been used for every type of response, from taking supplements to medications, social media encourages people to continue the treatments b/c 'something' apparently is 'dying off'.

An immune response if not the same as die-off, in fact it can make you worse.

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regular academia is capable of moving this quickly, it's pretty much the norm in early stage research. Getting research grants to do RCTs is not supposed to be the first step in research, a problem with chronic illness research is that no one has discretionary budgets they can use for it to do this kind of quick iterative work.

This is hypothesis-generation. It's supposed to be quick. RCTs are supposed to follow much later, when there is a firm hypothesis that deserves to be tested rigorously. This here is supposed to be how it works, we just don't have it, there is not a single tenured professor of chronic illness that can use their own departmental resources to do this kind of work. The pragmatic trial paradigm is basically 99% waste when used to generate hypotheses.

That's the whole issue with NIH and not funding exploratory research. They usually come in long after this preliminary work has been done. We just never had anyone allowed to do it, so here someone is just going ahead and doing it.

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, it's not. It is encouraging desperate sick people to take something that they think is a treatment, and to report back in order to influence other people as to what the 'right' dose is. It's unethical and dangerous. We've seen it before with various 'cures', and no doubt will see it again, but let's not try to paint it as something it isn't.

John Mac, TiredSam, RedFox and 6 others like this.