1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The micro-clot finding in Long Covid — implications for the possible aetiology of ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Blood (e.g. coagulation, cell stiffness)' started by SNT Gatchaman, Nov 2, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There have been many similar polls, including from this person who has a PhD in pharmacy. They were pretty much all null and most had many negative reports. Mestinon seemed to be particularly disappointing. Almost all were busts, aside from antihistamines, IIRC.

The person behind this account has been doing this for several months now. It's an iterative process that first asked about many supplements and drugs and is now refining to stratifying with doses. This is how investigative work is supposed to happen, it's just not happening in our case because no one is authorized to do it.

The patient population is trying those drugs and supplements. It's happening because of the void of expertise, might as well learn from it. I've already seen people trying regulated drugs buying from gray market pharmacies. Again, this is the void forcing people to work around the system, just like it was done with AIDS.

It should be formal and official. But the void is here.

It's basically certain that nattokinase is not going to be a solution, it's a data point for what it does, showing potential mechanisms of action in some people. In this case it's an enzyme that seems to break down blood clots. It's a clue, likely not a final clue. Maybe an adjacent clue. But damn this is how investigations are supposed to work, following evidence, building on itself. Seems like medical research can't do this anymore.

2. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2 years, no findings published by the NIH, little in the way of real research and 140 million estimated have lost the ability to live. This is a consequence of medicines hubris on post viral conditions and its fraudulent use of Psychology that has utterly failed to treat the disease in any way. In that void, and its a big void after 80 years of doing almost nothing, its not a surprise patients are following the papers on findings in their bodies and trying things to see if it improves things. This wouldn't be happening if medicine was doing its job, the fact that the patients are organising themselves is precisely due to the void.

We can't really talk right now we are running polls on symptoms we suffer. Surely science already knows this and we have nothing to add to the discussion, right? Its irresponsible isn't it to be letting a self selecting poll of ME patients do this without proper medical controls, heck we have changed it in the middle and put up lists #2 and #3. Its filling a void and I can't help but feel this leads to a better listing and understanding symptoms moving forward. The questionnaire on trying things, the obvious follow up is what was tried and what worked. None of this would be happening if medicine was doing the job, very ill people do not start organising around other diseases in this way unless medicine has nothing to offer them. ME patients have at least two medical mixed with patients forums at this point with different approaches, how many diseases that have treatments do that? None.

alktipping, Wonko and rvallee like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Generally speaking there is no point in eating enzymes because they are destroyed in the stomach. I know nothing about this one but I suspect that applies.

If it has an effect on clotting that is potentially beneficial it very certainly will be dangerous if not taken at the optimal dose - which will not be identifiable by people saying they feel better.

I find it pretty strange that any academics should be getting involved in this if they are.

TiredSam, obeat, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The void. I can't see it as a bad thing that some academics are willing to fill a void that is normally only occupied by us, where as @BrightCandle pointed out we are doing much of the same things: asking ourselves questions and refining those questions because no one is asking them formally. Hell figuring out the right questions to ask is the first step and we're literally working on this right now in other threads.

The potential here is dangerous, coagulation is kind of important. But there is a void. If not for the void, this would be happening in a structured process, or at least that's the idea. Not very compelling when we look at most of the research out there where you can have overlapping selection and recovery criteria or overlooking ethical requirements while no one cares, but that's the idea.

Although you did mention that one thing you learned is that there isn't a much better way to tell if something is helping than simply asking the patients if they're better. It's only a data point along the way and it only makes sense in early investigation, which this is.

There is at least one low-dose aspirin trial I can think of happening. It's a similar idea, although a different mechanism. Nattokinase seems to break down fibrin, while aspirin disrupts the clotting formation (AFAIUnderstand). But what this is an arrow pointing somewhere. I think of it like the cone of uncertainty in hurricane forecasting: the hurricane will likely not hit at the middle point, but it will hit at some point in the cone. But just having a cone is progress, we don't even have that yet.

Amw66 likes this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

When dealing with a void astrology does not necessarily help.
    I don't see any science here. What I do see is either a big opportunity for ripping people off for no benefit or something genuinely unsafe.

TheBassist, Simon M, FMMM1 and 11 others like this.
  6. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought of an experiment that might be useful for the microclot theory: take samples from different parts of the body and compare numbers of microclots. For example, are there more microclots coming out of the brain than going in? Maybe they are originating in one organ, or certain muscle groups (maybe test before/after exertion). Maybe they originate where the blood connects to the lymphatic system.

My problem with the blood/vascular theories is that if that was the cause of our symptoms, shouldn't there be more evidence of changes in symptom severity depending on physical activity, drugs that affect blood viscosity or blood vessel diameter, and other such factors? I suppose there could be some functions of pericytes or other vascular cells that are not affected by such factors, but I think the probability is fairly low. My guess is that extra microclots, if they do exist in PWME or PWLC (long covid), they're just a symptom, rather than a cause.

obeat, Sean and RedFox like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Please note that these microclots form in a test tube. They were not there in the sample of blood drawn. The blood is centrifuged so anything in it would have been spun out. There is no reason to think the size of the microclots has anything to do with anything in the body.

RedFox, Lilas, Mij and 6 others like this.
  8. Creekside

Oh, then why has there been any fuss about them? I didn't read any of the reports about them (waiting for some confirmed interesting findings), but just assumed that they actually found microclots in the blood, and/or other blood/vascular abnormalities. If they're doing some processing that causes microclots, and it reliably produces different results between healthy people and PWME or PWLC, then I suppose it still is worth pursuing, because any reliable marker would be valuable.

I could actually read the reports, but your comment doesn't make it sound like it's worth making the effort. I'll just keep waiting for some confirmed interesting findings ... that may never arrive.

TruthSeeker, obeat and RedFox like this.
  9. BrightCandle

The guy who originally found clots in Long Haulers actually found it in the microscope in drawn blood. Nowadays they have a process they can run to isolate the clots and show them on a UV test so that is what they are doing but originally this was found in a microscope looking at a cluster of Long Covid suffering athletes, by a sports scientist. Everyone called him a quack at the time and he got banned from Discord,facebook and twitter for misinformation after he posted his pictures and research paper. Maybe 6 months later the HELP Apheresis clinic started showing the same thing and pushing their therapy and now everyone has converged on this process for the seeing the clots. Originally though they were just found in blood on a student microscope, no fancy processing required.

janice and Amw66 like this.
  10. Creekside

For some reason, the first thing that popped into my mind was "The Emperor's New Clothes". Someone people are impressed by (or want to impress) 'sees' something, and suddenly everyone else sees it too. Flying saucers? Crop circles? Witches?

Are these people only looking for them in PWLC, or are they searched for but not found in people with other diseases too? If they are just as common in people with the common cold, or overexertion, or a headache, then it's not a very important discovery for ME/LC research.

11. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have searched for them and found them in many conditions, including diabetes if my memory serves me right. Dr. Pretorius's research page highlights some of this. Thus, I'm pretty sure the clots are just a downstream effect, not a cause. It heavily discredits the psychosomatic theory but not much else.

Wonko likes this.
  12. BrightCandle

Chris Pontings recent research showed the difference between control, LPS and Covid Spike clots and the various degrees of them. There is a chance they can start to tease out the difference in the clots between different conditions. Its definitely not something that just everyone has anyway, its something certain chronic conditions have including Me and LC.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Is that actually the case? How did he see clots amongst the millions of red cells? I have not heard anything of that sort. Can you give a source or is this just hearsay? The process that uses UV light works with blood from which any original clots would have been centrifuged out as far as I can establish.

The same group had found clots on spun blood in several conditions. But that is still clots that were not actually present in life as far as I know. And if they are present in spun blood from so many conditions it is a bit hard to know what they mean at all. I am afraid it makes no difference to the credibility of psychosomatic theories until it makes some sense.

Has Chris Ponting done work on this? I thought it was the Pretorius/Kell group again.

sebaaa, Lilas, obeat and 3 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, he hasn't. From memory, the most he has done is express that it looks like an area of interest. Knowing Chris I'm sure he would want to see the work replicated by others before expressing any stronger opinion than that.

RedFox, sebaaa, SNT Gatchaman and 5 others like this.
  15. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this individual just another verbose woo menace?

Ariel and obeat like this.
  16. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox and Trish like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Again, the pictures look like artefacts. One green lump is thousands of times bigger than all the tiny dots. I have no idea what these things mean but if the Pretorius system was used I would expect all bits of stuff like this to be spun out beforehand in the centrifuge. So what the size of these coloured bits means is anyone's guess.

FMMM1, sebaaa, obeat and 6 others like this.
  18. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My position is that Dr. Pretious's findings likely represent some actual different in the blood chemistry of pwME vs healthy controls, but is likely a non-specific sign and a downstream effect of other problems rather than a main driver of symptoms. Microclots are interesting, but I don't see them as a smoking gun pathology or biomarker like some on social media do.

obeat, John Mac and Ariel like this.
  19. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox likes this.