News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. Just general about fatigue, headache etc.

2. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SFGate: "Coronavirus cases are dropping. It's time to talk about long COVID"

Features Dr. Mady Hornig.

Excerpts:

"Some people develop symptoms that look very similar to chronic fatigue syndrome, also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis. That kind of “post-viral syndrome” can develop after all kinds of infection, including after mild or even asymptomatic cases of COVID. People may feel extremely tired, no matter how much they sleep; have extreme difficulty concentrating, also known as “brain fog”; and get exhausted just from walking across the room."

"There are likely connections between the immune response to the virus and all these diverse symptoms, according to Mady Hornig, an associate professor of epidemiology at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, who specializes in myalgic encephalomyelitis. She developed long COVID herself about four months after being infected. For more than a year, even mild exertion could trigger her heart to race and her blood oxygen to drop.

“Infection-triggered syndromes are certainly not a surprise,” she told SFGATE. “There’s so much that we really need to understand about what is actually wrong.”

To Hornig, the pandemic represents an enormous opportunity — and obligation — to learn as much as we can about this and other post-viral syndromes. “So many people got this at the same time, we’re finally looking at all sorts of nervous system disorders,” she said. “But we have so far to go before we know what to do.”

MEMarge, ahimsa, MSEsperanza and 15 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personally, I think they should eliminate 'fatigue' from their studies. Perhaps ask how long one can stand or walk, leg heaviness, do they have weakness et.

I didn't have fatigue when I first became ill, but may have checked it off if there weren't any other alternative terms or box where I could elaborate.

Mithriel, Ariel, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  4. Dakota15

Science News: "A faulty immune response may be behind lingering brain trouble after COVID-19"

"It’s not a new idea. Immune systems gone awry have been implicated in cognitive problems that come with other viral infections such as HIV and influenza, with disorders such as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, or ME/CSF, and even from the damaging effects of chemotherapy."

"What’s different with COVID-19 is the scope of the problem. Millions of people have been infected, says neurologist Avindra Nath of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. “We are now faced with a public health crisis,” he says."

"Tragic as the pandemic is, it may ultimately lead to something good, adds Nath, who is setting up a small clinical trial to study possible long COVID treatments. All these other syndromes such as ME/CSF that researchers have struggled to understand “might benefit from what we learn here from long COVID. We might be able to develop treatments for them all.”

(they used ME/CSF which is incorrect obviously)

merylg, cfsandmore, Kalliope and 11 others like this.
  5. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, merylg, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2022
    MEMarge, merylg, sebaaa and 2 others like this.
  8. Dakota15

merylg, sebaaa, Lou B Lou and 10 others like this.
  9. rvallee

Wow this is solid, worth reading. Can't believe this is in the Guardian, must be their international office, or they forgot how much they hate us for a minute.

The story of psychosomatic medicine is seriously one of the darkest chapters in human history outside of pure conflict, war and all the stuff that is horrible because it's the whole point.

MEMarge, merylg, sebaaa and 11 others like this.
  10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a look. The writer Mike Mariani is from Hoboken NJ. So not from the UK.

It's probably safe to say that Ian Sample and the previous holder of the post Sarah Boseley are still engaged in upholding BPS propaganda at our expense. Just doin' their job.

Woolie, merylg, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Hutan, SNT Gatchaman and Ariel like this.
  12. Dakota15

Time: Long COVID Patients Are Waiting Months for Care, and the Problem May Only Get Worse

"The problem is, nobody fully understands how to cure Long COVID. In that regard, it’s similar to other mysterious and complex chronic illnesses like myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), chronic Lyme disease, and fibromyalgia. “To be frank,” Geng says, “we don’t have a curative therapy.”

merylg, sebaaa, Kalliope and 6 others like this.
  13. rvallee

Speaking of the author:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1489286258647916551

Woolie, merylg, sebaaa and 11 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

merylg, sebaaa, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  15. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The error has been corrected, did you email the journalist?

16. Dakota15

No I did not.

cfsandmore likes this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, merylg, Snow Leopard and 7 others like this.
  18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interview with among other Ed Yong.

news.com.au 'Mass disability event' warning as huge numbers diagnosed with long Covid

Quote:
    Yong likened long Covid to other “marginalised” diseases.

“The piece I want to highlight, and that I think a lot of people still miss, is that long Covid has important similarities to ME/CFS, dysautonomia and other chronic, complex, marginalised conditions.

“There aren’t many scientists who study these conditions but they do exist, and their work means that we’re not starting from scratch when it comes to understanding long Covid.

“Even many scientists are unaware of this, and are thus reinventing the wheel.”

19. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, Hutan and sebaaa like this.
  20. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paywalled news article in Sweden's third largest morning paper. (Cultural illness is not mentioned, thank you!)

Flera covid-sjuka vittnar om en extrem trötthet
    https://www.svd.se/flera-covid-sjuka-vittnar-om-en-extrem-trotthet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.