1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Petter Brodin, a researcher and professor of pediatric immunology at Karolinska in Sweden, who has been involved in biomedical ME studies, is quoted in a (paywalled) Swedish news article about long covid.

I'm surprised and very disappointed, I had no idea he held this kind of view :(
    Forskare: Fler kan få postcovid efter omikron
    https://www.dn.se/vetenskap/forskare-fler-kan-fa-postcovid-efter-omikron/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Anna H, Chezboo, Wyva and 7 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Daily Mail Long Covid expert says the world is in 'deep trouble'

quote:
    Dr Leonard Jason is a psychology professor at Depaul University that works with long Covid patients. He told DailyMail.com that the potential of the Omicron wave causing the condition in so many survivors could have severe negative consequences long term.

‘That is gonna create all kinds of economic consequences, [and to] our health care system,' Jason said.

He told DailyMail.com that anywhere from ten to 30 percent of Covid survivors continue to suffer at least some symptoms long-term.

For even the more mild versions, where a person loses their sense of smell or has an occasional headache, dealing with the day-to-day impact of the condition can deteriorate their quality of life and hurt their ability to take part in regular activities.

Those that suffer more severe symptoms, like extreme fatigue, frequent body aches or sensory issues may be put out of work, causing strain to their loved ones.

Many will also require a caretaker, at least for a temporary period, which pulls another productive, functioning, member of society out of communities.

‘This will be a problem for society going forward... its hard for people to understand,' Jason added.

Hutan, MEMarge, EzzieD and 16 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jason is right, it's possible that we're heading towards very serious problems. It looks like we're heading towards multiple covid waves every year, with every wave causing new long covid cases in a portion of the population, a portion of cases resulting in chronic health problems, and a portion of these health problems being severe and disabling. Depending on how large each of these portions is and how vulnerability to the disabling chronic health problems works it could become a truly frightening problem over time (it's bad enough already as is, but might become much worse).

Especially when kids are vulnerable. Children being born now, by the time they grow up might have something like 10 symptomatic infections (or more, depending on the virus evolution and ability to reinfect people every year). Is every infection a new chance to become disabled? I don't think we can exclude that. Can only people with a predisposition become disabled? We don't know. We're so unprepared for this.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An infectious disease doctor was making these exact comments this morning on the news. He also mentioned the higher increase rate in Type 1 Diabetes in Covid children with possible genetic factors and now reactivations of EBV.

6. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Michael Osterholm: Episode 88: Vaccines, Variants, and Long COVID.

56-minute mark: “This not a new phenomenon. We have previously documented chronic implications for infections like Epstein-Barr virus & others that may cause the same picture and surely has some ties to the work we’ve been doing with chronic fatigue syndrome.”

“What can we learn about Long COVID from other post-viral syndromes that I just mentioned - Epstein-Barr virus, Cytomegalovirus, Human herpesvirus, enteroviruses & more? I think this is a very rich area for research.”

MEMarge, ukxmrv, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  7. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Strategist said: .... ".... Jason is right, it's possible that we're heading towards very serious problems...."

Not according to the Mail readers who are out in force in the Comments, insisting that Long Covid is Only vaccine injury, "a cold", depression, that Covid and Long Covid don't exist - and that Jason is not an expert.

I do get the sense from some Comments sections in the nationals on articles on both LC and ME that many of the commenters are not common or garden readers but agenda-driven lobby members.

The comments to one article are *majority* insisting that ME and LC are "hysteria", the comments to another article are *majority* accusing sufferers of "swinging the lead/malingering" and angling for "benefits". The sheer numbers of similar comments in the same place is staggering - are they all just copying each other? Or do certain groups with an agenda target certain articles? I don't know but it's very noticeable.

Edit: Variations of the 'LC is malingering' and 'LC is just about trying to get benefits' tropes includes (paraphrased)

'It's only people who work in the public sector who claim to have LC',
    'People who work in the private sector can't afford to have LC'
    'Self employed people never get LC',

And, bizarrely, 'People claiming to have LC are all Brexit Remainers'

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Hutan, ukxmrv, Michelle and 15 others like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I wonder if certain responses resonate with the papers line/underlying beliefs and are deliberately selected for publication on that basis. Perhaps, if you don't share those beliefs then you will not persist on the site, so it's only the faithful who populate the space; therefore, those non-representative views are the predominate ones/published. An alternative is that someone (influential) is orchestrating this i.e. submitting the responses ---- not accusing the journalists themselves of course ----

EDIT - see @Lou B Lou comment below "The Mail did not select or moderate the Comments to this article."

Wits_End, alktipping and duncan like this.
  9. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Mail did not select or moderate the Comments to this article.

10. Kalliope

Danish news about health care workers who suffers from Long Covid being of risk of becoming fired. Wonder who they plan to replace them with..

TV2 Direktør om syge ansatte: - Ulykkeligt, men vi kan blive nødt til at afskedige
    google translation Director about sick employees: - Unfortunate, but we may have to lay them off

Quotes:

According to the group director, the region has "with patience and ingenuity" done what they could to help employees get back to work, nor is he without understanding that health workers have been exposed to a particular strain, he points out.

- We have been used to treating infectious diseases, but this has had a volume that we are not used to, so I recognize that there may be a gap for some employees who are long-term sick and have difficulty see that they can return to their work, and there we have no different solution than we have for others who can not return to their work, says Ole Thomsen, who calls it "terrible when someone gets sick from their work ".

There are several cases where employees can only work so few hours that, according to the executive vice president, it's too fragmented, and unlike the military, the hospitals do not have a veterans' scheme for those who have become ill due to their job.

MEMarge, Hutan, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  11. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The tribe must move on. You cannot follow the tribe with your injury, therefore we will leave you behind. Sucks to be you, at least it's not me.

We really aren't much better than this. No compassion even for their own, how can they possibly have any for us? I didn't think they'd abandon their own given the scale but damn, they're doing it straight savage, like dirty used rags. It really is all about people's ability to understand that it could happen to them. Here they clearly don't believe it could affect them, they feel safe from it, see no reason to protect anyone from it, and view those who fell to it as weak, victims of themselves.

Arnie Pye, Wits_End, tmrw and 10 others like this.
  13. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Swedish doctor, who has been suffering from long covid for almost 2 years now, shares her story. She writes about symptoms, treatments and other experiences, the need for more research, the cultural illness hypothesis, and more. (ME is not mentioned.)

Läkare med postcovid: Jag saknar den jag var
    https://kvartal.se/artiklar/lakare-med-postcovid-jag-saknar-den-jag-var/

Google Translate, English ("Doctor with postcovid: I miss who I was")

A person with ME commented on one of her tweets:

MEMarge, Hutan, Midnattsol and 7 others like this.
  14. Kalliope

BBC Inside Science
    Predicting Long Covid, and the Global Toll of Antimicrobial Resistance

From the description:
    Prof Onur Boyman, Director of department of Immunology at University Hospital, Zurich, this week published a paper in the journal Nature Communications that presents a way of quantifying the risk of a Covid patient going on to develop Long Covid (or PACS as some call it) based on certain symptoms, but crucially also two key biomarkers in the blood. As he explains to Gaia, combining the levels in the blood of two key immunoglobulins (IgM and IgG3) with other pointers, first identified last year, allowed him and his team to make successful predictions as to the relative likelihood his sample group of patients might go on to still be exhibiting symptoms beyond four weeks after infection. Asthma is of particular interest to these researchers, partly because it can share this blood signal of Ig markers. Might it even also shed any light on things such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Dr Claire Steves, of Kings College London, whose previous work on symptom gathering Onur's team have built upon, agrees this is a promising bit of work, and also discusses some other potential clues to the Long Covid mystery.

MEMarge, Hutan, cfsandmore and 3 others like this.
  15. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Infection Control Today: Long COVID Shouldn’t Have Taken Us by Surprise

Some quick excerpts:

"Long COVID’s symptoms seem to match those of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a condition that millions have suffered from for decades."

"
    Long COVID isn’t an anomaly. In fact, evidence that individuals would suffer symptoms weeks, months or even years after they’ve gotten COVID-19 and then “recovered” had been known for decades. Long COVID presents with symptoms very similar to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), and an advocacy group for those with ME/CFS wants the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other federal agencies to consider the two conditions linked—and that the battle against one should also be the battle against the other."

"
    “This comes as no surprise to the ME/CFS community,” Adriane Tillman, the editor at #MEAction, an advocacy organization for people with ME/CFS, writes in an email to Infection Control Today. “Long COVID is not a new phenomenon—there are millions of Americans who got sick with a virus and never recovered before the pandemic, and developed ME/CFS. The only difference is that we are seeing this happen now in real time on a massive scale.”

MEMarge, Hutan, Arnie Pye and 20 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

This was a good article. Seems another one is in the making:

Tweet from It'sME(Jaime)@exheedhergrasp1
    The author of this article, Frank Diamond, interviewed me today -- probably coming out next week. He concluded with, "good luck in the fight." Grateful for people who are invested in getting the word out about #MECFS and #LongCOVID.

Edit: The article "Getting a head start on treating long covid" is now out, and we have a thread about it here: Getting a Head Start on Treating Long COVID, Infection Control Today interview with Jaime Seltzer of MEAction

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2022
    MEMarge, Anna H, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She is really pushing this hard. Heartening to see someone with influence advocating with this much energy.

I don't know if she is aware but the entire Massachusetts congressional delegation signed a few years ago onto a resolution for ME. Would be great if SolveME got in contact. This included both senators, Markey and Warren.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487470596653031426

18. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, John Mac, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Jeanette Brown works with long haulers as director of the Comprehensive COVID-19 Clinic at University of Utah Health.

“This was a pretty well-done study,” Brown said. “They looked at 175 patients with Covid and followed them over a year.”

Researchers watched the patients’ symptoms, developed a scoring system, and tried to predict from their immune responses who would develop post-COVID-19 symptoms.

“They felt like it was about 75% effective at predicting who is going to have persistent symptoms,” Brown said.

If they can validate these findings with more patients, that could help researchers develop new treatments targeting symptoms of the long haulers.

“You can target potential therapies earlier, or identify those patients for research long term,” Brown said. “I think that’s how this could potentially help if it was validated.”

https://ksltv.com/482525/blood-test...-having-long-term-health-effects-of-covid-19/

I watched a short interview with Dr. Jeanetter Brown the other day on CBC and she said that they are seeing the majority of LC patients are females between the ages of 18- 55 years old.

MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  20. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, the majority of LC sufferers are coming from a group of women who are of an age to have started their periods in the previous 10 years up to and including women who may have stopped having periods in the previous 10 years. I wonder how many of them were iron deficient before they got Covid?

Amw66 and alktipping like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.