1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Immunoglobulin signature predicts risk of post-acute COVID-19 syndrome, 2022, Cervia et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Following acute infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) a significant proportion of individuals develop prolonged symptoms, a serious condition termed post-acute coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) syndrome (PACS) or long COVID. Predictors of PACS are needed. In a prospective multicentric cohort study of 215 individuals, we study COVID-19 patients during primary infection and up to one year later, compared to healthy subjects. We discover an immunoglobulin (Ig) signature, based on total IgM and IgG3 levels, which – combined with age, history of asthma bronchiale, and five symptoms during primary infection – is able to predict the risk of PACS independently of timepoint of blood sampling. We validate the score in an independent cohort of 395 individuals with COVID-19. Our results highlight the benefit of measuring Igs for the early identification of patients at high risk for PACS, which facilitates the study of targeted treatment and pathomechanisms of PACS.

Open access, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-27797-1

Wyva, Snow Leopard, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Ron, DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and 6 others like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There seems to be the suggestion that lower serum levels of IgG3 (and lower IgM levels) may be an important factor in the development of Long Covid. One of the strongest predictors of Long Covid in this study was a history of bronchial asthma (Odds Ratio 9.74 - pValue 0.003).

[My Bold]

[My Bold]

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-27797-1

ETA: Realized I just pretty much repeated part of @Andy 's post of the abstract.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    DokaGirl, Trish and cfsandmore like this.
  4. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

is there any research of any type on worsening of pwme after infection?

also, is there any research on igg subclass profiles for pwme? anecdotally i notice reports of 1 and 3 low.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    DokaGirl, duncan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  5. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe there have been studies suggestive of just that, back several years. Maybe Natelson or Peterson?

It would be an interesting poll. I am IgG deficient in one of the subclasses. Can't recall which. :(

Ron, Samuel and DokaGirl like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So doesn't look good for those with asthma then...:(

Any comments on this study's quality?

Interesting in that perhaps a number of pwME have similar factors that have brought about ME post viral episode.

Ron and duncan like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't find when this study started in relation to vaccines coming out

It seems this study would have carried on into the time when vaccines were available.

Does anyone know?

COVID vaccines were available in Canada by about mid December 2020. I think they were available somewhat earlier in the UK, Europe, and the US.

In Canada, those at highest risk were vaccinated first - seniors in residential care. And, maybe health care workers if my recall is correct. It appears no one over age 65 was included in this study.

Thanks.

8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Worrying. They thought people with asthma would be at high risk of serious disease but found this was not the case. Shame if they are at high risk of longcovid.

Forbin and Trish like this.