1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by DokaGirl, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure to what degree this is even Whitney communicating. I believe there is a person in the middle that is translating in some way.

sebaaa and arewenearlythereyet like this.
  2. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish everyone was like fluge & mella.. Letting us know their hypotheses, ,but not giving false hope. Thought they were really well behaved during the rtx trials

TrixieStix, Ron, sebaaa and 15 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

What sort of things do the charity standards require, jonathan_h?

sebaaa and Dolphin like this.
  4. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t know, but I assume their existence is why we don’t have research orgs that rely on donations saying they’ve made breakthroughs they can’t announce yet. I think we all get why that’d be unethical.

5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He has said that he is typing his own posts nowadays

TiredSam, sebaaa, mango and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, you've put into words what I've been wanting to say for a while.

I wish they would either make it an official OMF communication or keep quiet about it. I'm fed up of all these "inside info" hints.

Yeah, sure, Whitney is speaking unofficially as an individual, but he's the son of the person running a major ME research charity, there are ethical issues here.

TrixieStix, TiredSam, Alton and 5 others like this.
  7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve mentioned this before but it would be helpful if OMF put out an official quarterly or biannual newsletter. Something short would be fine.

8. Jaybee00

Perrier, geminiqry, Fizzlou and 5 others like this.
  9. Jaybee00

10. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Dr. Davis says that in addition to this Abilify study, what he is excited about is that now he and his associates are going to do another 'molecular analysis.'

Does he mean that now they will examine these 100 patients in the new Abilify study as part of this new molecular analysis? Or will it be other patients.

He says this new molecular study will be LIKE the severely ill patient study, which has not been published yet--but with that experience behind them, they can now eliminate what is unimportant, do new things that have never been looked at before in any ME patient (biochemistry and genetics), and they will look at genes which have not been analysed before.

Dr Davis says this is exciting because it could 'give new insights' and new possible drugs to try. They need donations, however, to get on with this study.

So, it looks as though the Dr Davis team are embarking on a brand new study. It isn't clear to me, however, if it will be using the patients in the Abilify study. Also, I wish that Dr Davis would have mentioned whether or not he and his team have some idea of why Abilify seems to help some patients, and if this insight is part of the new exploration he is embarking on. I am anxious as are others to know what he might be thinking Abilify is doing. And why does it not help more.

Anyhow,....hard to hang on and wait with no time lines....but best wishes to their whole team.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2021
    Simbindi, sebaaa, cfsandmore and 6 others like this.
  11. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The study wasn't double blinded, so the patients 'optimism' may have changed the results. So they have to do a double blinded study on Abilify.

Simbindi, sebaaa, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I hope that they can get the funding for the proposed double blind study - it would be good to have that treatment possibility addressed properly.

Ron Davis also suggests in that video that the earlier work on red blood cell deformability may be correct. He says that the later work done which found no difference in RBC deformability between blood from people with ME/CFS and healthy controls may have been confounded by the time taken to get the samples analysed (longer in the later studies), and differences in the treatment of the blood. Changes in the oxygenation of the cells was one variable mentioned.

Red blood cell deformability was discussed on this thread:
    Erythrocyte Deformability As a Potential Biomarker for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Davis et al (2018)

Simbindi, spinoza577, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting to see a double blind study.

14. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From this update from Dr Ron Tompkins (bolding mine):

--
    In 2020, OMF secured a $1 million grant to launch the first year of an international, multi-year study across the five OMF funded Collaborative Research Centers (CRC). The aim of this study is to examine Post-COVID Syndrome transitioning to ME/CFS. We are actively working to raise an additional $2 million for years two and three of the study.

Project Overview

The ability to monitor the development of ME/CFS from a known viral infection is unprecedented to date and crucial to our understanding of the disease. The CRCs have initiated the collection, extensive testing and analysis of COVID-19 patient samples.

My colleague, Dr. Jonas Bergquist, Director of the Uppsala Collaborative Research Center, has shared that as of February 2021:

We have now done proteomics (the large-scale study of proteins) and metabolomics (an analysis of the metabolism) in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and blood plasma from about 40 Intensive Care Unit COVID-19 patients. Our next step will be the large-scale metabolomic study of plasma from a larger cross-section of less severe COVID-19 patients (where we have no possibility to collect CSF) not admitted into the ICU.

In parallel, we are performing CSF proteomics and blood plasma metabolomics in around 50 Herpes Simplex Encephalitis patients (a rare infection with a related neurological disorder). The data from this cohort will provide a valuable baseline for neuroinflammation (an inflammatory response within the brain). As we are also running both CSF and plasma analysis from ME/CFS patients in the same investigation, we have a unique opportunity to compare and learn from COVID-19, HSE and ME/CFS patients.

Example of tests to be performed:
    • Autoantibodies
    • Proteomics
    • Leukocyte Genomics
    • Immune Cell Profiling
    • Metabolomics
    • Micro RNA
    • Extracellular DNA (Viral reactivation and Mitochondrial DNA)
    • Microvesicles and viral sequencing
    We hope that our studies in blood and CSF samples will help us be able to identify proteins and large molecules (e.g., antibodies) and small molecules that appear or disappear as ME/CFS develops, helping to advance our understanding of the biological triggers for this disease.
    --

MEMarge, Milo, Frankie and 18 others like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be great if someone did tests related to hormones and how they are affected (if possible).

Kitty, Perrier, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  16. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm pleased to see that they're taking the need for CFS samples seriously.

Kitty, MEMarge, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  17. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMF has had a security incident/data breach that affects personal data. They have sent out an email to people who are affected (at least to people in the EU and UK, according to the email), explaining what happened.

"This breach occurred at some point beginning on February 7, 2020, and could have been in there intermittently until May 20, 2020."

I didn't know about it until now, I'm very disappointed that it took them this long to inform us.

sebaaa, Kitty, Milo and 7 others like this.
  18. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They don't actually say when they discovered the breach, only when it occurred, so they may not have found out about it immediately.
    I don't have any memory of actually giving them my phone number, though, unless it's unlisted, your name and address would be enough to find it. They do say:
    ETA: That last line makes me wonder if the breach was discovered incidental to some other investigation - as though the OMF data was Hoovered up with a lot of other data.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    sebaaa, Kitty, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  19. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Forbin Ok sure, maybe you're right. I interpreted this bit

"In 2021, upon deeper examination of the subset of data removed by the cybercriminal"

as saying there was an examination earlier (implying that the security breach was discovered/known earlier than this), but they only did a deeper examination recently.

sebaaa, Kitty, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  20. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@mango You could well be right. The announcement certainly could have been more clearly worded, that's for sure.

Kitty, MEMarge, Missense and 2 others like this.