1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by DokaGirl, Sep 1, 2019.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Open Medicine Foundation Canada:

https://www.omfcanada.ngo/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=news

I donate to the OMF - can now receive a Canadian tax receipt

ETA: It would be great to see some OMF funds going to Canadian ME researchers - there are collaborations, but I don't know if funds are involved

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2019
    Sean, Sly Saint, Lisa108 and 10 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks great.

MEMarge, Louie41, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Awesome!

[​IMG]

DokaGirl, Louie41 and Dolphin like this.
  6. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this legitimate?

7. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes

8. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah did a bit of research, it is.

9. rvallee

As many are aware, along with the recent announcement of a federal research network, the OMF has also expanded into Canada and is looking for French Canadian translators. Quebec has pretty strict rules about content having to be made available in French so it's important for OMF to operate here.

There are a few French language translators but few from Canada and although I do write a lot in here, translation requires concentration I often don't have so more translators will be needed.

Apply at: https://omfcanada.ngo/become-a-volunteer/.

Don't have to be strictly Quebec French, but France French tends to have its own quirks. I don't use Facebook so if you do and have people who may help in your network there is a post to share if you want.

edit: doesn't look like the link is working because it's modified by the forum software.

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/OpenMedicineFoundation/photos/a.332007933570301/2173141736123569/?type=3&av=309364692501292&eav=AfZoE4QlpL5VuTWId9g7vJ3x3jM6LYnPM3R64o5IEAqq5EfROLQeERg_Ric0-JfPPHg&theater

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Sly Saint, petrichor, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  10. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who are OMF? I'm concerned: are they looking for professional translators (in which case they ought to be paid!), just people with English and French Canadian, or what? Medical translation is a very difficult field, and potentially very dangerous if you get it wrong, so not something to be left to the inexperienced. Or is someone overseeing the translations?

Snow Leopard and DokaGirl like this.
  11. eva luna

eva luna Established Member

The texts the OMF has translated by volunteers, are meant for a broad audience and are not technical

12. rvallee

Open Medicine Foundation, Ron Davis' organization.

The texts are all non-technical and for a large audience that includes patients, carers and the general public. Mostly it would be the website itself and stuff like newsletters and social media posts. They could use professional translators but that's expensive and would cut into other budgets. There's already a sizeable network of volunteers, it just needs to be expanded.

The content is already translated into several languages, but the content here is specific to the Canadian subsidiary and especially important given that Alain Moreau is in Quebec, which requires registered institutions to provide French content.

Sly Saint, Cinders66 and petrichor like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from email

Michelle, alktipping, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The Harvard ME/CFS Collaboration’s investigators will evaluate ME/CFS patient’s blood samples that were extracted at three separate time-points: before exercise, at peak exercise, and one-hour after exercise. These studies will evaluate two separate blood compartments at these time points: the blood pumped from the heart and the blood returned to the heart. Therefore, six blood samples will be studied from each participant. Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) has raised funds for a cohort of the high-flow PLF ME/CFS patients to be compared to healthy volunteers".

I wonder if taking blood samples 14-24 hrs after exercise would have been helpful too?

alktipping, Kitty, Sly Saint and 7 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let's see if they find proteome changes consistent with Fisher's hypothesis.

alktipping, Kitty, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  16. Sly Saint

from email

Anna H, MEMarge, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

https://www.omf.ngo/2020/01/21/omf-welcomes-alain-moreau-phd-to-our-scientific-advisory-board/

JaneL, ahimsa, Sean and 11 others like this.
  18. Gigi300

Gigi300 Established Member (Voting Rights)

(Google traduction)Hello, just a little summary of his study. : // www.em-action.fr/resume-deuxieme-symposium-communautaire/. Alain Moreau is studying the role of micro-circulants in patients with ME / CFS. MicroRNA is a small molecule that circulates in the body and can regulate the production of proteins and enzymes from genes. His hypothesis is that "ME / CFS is caused by a problem in the expression of microRNAs, which modulates immune functions, energy metabolism and the response to physiological stress". Dr. Moreau uses a massage cuff to stimulate a reaction in patients with ME / CFS, comparable to post-exercise discomfort. It measures the microRNA levels before and after stimulation and alteration that occur in ME / CFS patients compared to healthy controls. Significant differences were observed between patients and controls. In addition, the data can be separated into 4 subgroups concerned on the microRNA, which differs according to the expression of the symptoms. If you want to know more about his research, here is a video (OMF, 2019) that I put in another thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5yrva1zYY

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Hoopoe, MEMarge, brf and 1 other person like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope he's better than the standard-type "brink of a breakthrough" language suggests!

20. rvallee