1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by DokaGirl, Sep 1, 2019.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's far too narrow a test to be useful in assessing research in ME/CFS - we still don't know if we are dealing with a single disease process that is expressed with huge variation across a heterogenous patient population, or a disease process that expresses in multiple subtypes within homogeneous subsets of a heterogenous patient population, or multiple disease processes expressed with huge variation across a heterogenous patient population, or multiple disease processes that expresses in multiple subtypes within homogeneous subsets of a heterogenous patient population, or indeed some horrific multiple of all the preceding. The best we can expect (hope is a different matter) at this point is that each bit of research should take at least a small bite out of a Gas Giant sized problem.

Of course no research approach should be beyond criticism - my own view is that what I would characterise as the 'stick a pin in the map' approach and look at that spot under a microscope, is far too reliant on a lucky strike for success, and while GWAS has the possibility of removing or at least vastly narrowing the reliance on a lucky strike to move things forward, I still believe that much more basic research in understanding the who and what of ME/CFS is needed to break the problem into more manageable pieces.

TrixieStix, Hutan, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  2. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope is what keeps me going too. For the 30+ years that I’ve been unwell, I don’t think I would have been able to continue without hope of improvement. Initially I hoped that my illness would improve naturally even if there were no effective treatments. For many years – nearly all of my 20s and 30s – there was so little biomedical research that it was hard to have any hope of a medial breakthrough. Reading the literature was more a cause for despair than hope.

We are still a long way from where we need to be but there is much more cause for hope through advances in biomedical research than there was – and OMF is a significant part of that IMO. There are many more competent scientists, organisations and institutions involved and interested in biomedical ME research, and there are some interesting results which have given me hope (eg recent studies on endothelial cells, unrine metabolites and microbiome).

I understand some of the criticisms of OMF (particularly the overhyping which may give false hope) but no organisation is perfect and I am grateful to them for their work and what they are trying to achieve.

I also echo Dolphin’s sentiment about the need to donate to research charities – to which I would also add the need to fundraise. I’ve managed to raise a fair sum just by asking for donations via justigiving and Facebook for birthdays and Christmases. I appreciate that not everyone is lucky enough to have friends and family who are supportive but most people should be able to raise some money in this or other wasy, even if it’s just a few pounds.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

That's what PhD students and postdocs are for. No one expects the project lead to sit there drafting papers.

I'm sorry but the reasons that the OMF offers to the general public for doing things the wrong way make no sense. Maybe they are trying to appeal to the unconventional genius stereotype of a scientist who doesn't have the time for doing things correctly because he's far too above crap that mere mortals do like publishing their results in a transparent format.

They are pulling wool over people's eyes. People who don't have a science background and who are handing over their limited funds in the hope of a cure. Relatively large amounts of money (as far as the ME/CFS field goes) have been burned through over the past decade with nothing to show for. Huge hype about every half-baked hypothesis, then quietly not publishing negative results etc. I'm not expecting breakthrough discoveries, just basic principles of the scientific method to be followed. If the results are negative, so be it.

They hyped the nanoneedle for years and then claimed, in response to the most basic/obvious criticism that the tech hadn't been tested on other conditions, that they couldn't recruit a control group of people with other chronic illnesses. I'm sorry, what? You can't get IRB approval from Stanford to go recruit 20 people in a rheumatology clinic or something?

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2023
    horton6, TrixieStix, EndME and 11 others like this.
  5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I can’t be doing with this some exciting news is coming soon businesses.

I’m fully prepared to admit if my expectation that it will be underwhelming is wrong. I’m quite grumpy today so this kind of thing bothers more than it usually would

sebaaa, Starlight, Chezboo and 14 others like this.
  10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We’re bubbling with excitement and are almost ready to share some big news. It’s something that will take a big step forward in our mission to end ME/CFS and Long COVID. We can’t say what it is yet, but you’ll want to be the first to know. Stay tuned as we will announce it on November 1!

I thought it was April 1st for fools day?

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I got the impression from reading it that the exciting news will just be about some big donation that they can use for their triple matched funding in their November appeal.

12. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

...wouldn't they just announce that though? Versus building up anticipation from a community that is waiting on hope...

sebaaa, Chezboo, JoanneS and 8 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

One would think so. Let's hope I'm wrong and it really is some significant scientific progress.

Chezboo, bobbler, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  14. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's really a chance that it's just a big donation from someone that will triple every donation made in November or something like that. I'm a donator myself and will continue to be, because I support the work that they do. Their messaging on the other hand....

sebaaa, Helene, bobbler and 11 others like this.
  15. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A pre-announcement announcement. :rolleyes:

mango, Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

probably not because it’s not an OMF project.

Grigor, Kitty, V.R.T. and 6 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It builds on it.

sebaaa, cfsandmore, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  19. LesPig

LesPig Established Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2023
    RedFox, Hutan, Lindberg and 5 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from email:

Kitty, mango, Sean and 2 others like this.