1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-hospitalised Children & young people (CYP) with Long Covid (The CLoCk Study), 2021, Stephenson and Crawley

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Feb 8, 2021.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I bet the model assumes any swag gets hidden in a shopping bag :whistle:

Hutan, MEMarge, Art Vandelay and 3 others like this.
  2. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler, Wyva, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Adam pwme, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  5. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Sly. It's pretty much the same apart as the one on the other day. Apart from the person in the studio was different.

6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those who haven't managed to see the child in swimming pool yesterday, this is from 10.50 -12.02.

bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bizarre things happening with recruitment for this study, participants don't even appear to be told they are taking part:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1527681439642357760

Then again Crawley apparently doesn't need informed consent, or even consent, for her papers. This has been validated by research authorities. Somehow.

I had to laugh at the fact that they give the £25 voucher at the end of the 2 years. Like giving it right away would be too generous, they have to add this mediocre incentive once everything has been done just so that a few people more will fill the damn questionnaires.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Given current rocketing inflation in the UK, that will be worth about 25 pence.

11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if this has been posted or not; it just came up on a recent search. (ie the page, not the info per se).

Meet the Team
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/child-health/...d-teaching-department/champp/psychological-10

I'm guessing that the LC community are aware this study comes under 'Psychological Medicine research'

Ariel and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re: the team, wasn't Sir Terence Stephenson the person who was allocating the funds for covid research in the first place and decided to fund this study? Is that allowed? (Okay, that's a silly question). Did I misremember that?

13. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because she runs the one place that all/most of/many of (?) the children who get ME/CFS tend to/have to (?)/generally are sent to?

If you want to research young people with ME then who else gatekeeps access to the sample you need to recruit? And 'can overseee' the ethical stuff related to medical care and observation etc? Could a private company actually take someone who wasn't under consultant/clinic-level biomed care onto a trial without feeling they'd be taking on 'work' to do with looking after said patient?

Which sort of underlines how without proper clinics that have biomed staff rather than the same old staff from irrelevant areas being told to 'try and tweak what they do to somehow seem compliant' research is hugely stymied for ME/CFS and is potentially the big sticking point?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  14. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CROC?

Amw66, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.