1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-hospitalised Children & young people (CYP) with Long Covid (The CLoCk Study), 2021, Stephenson and Crawley

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    MSEsperanza and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It takes me to Adam Lowe's article and I can't find the link. Do you have the direct link to the video and I will see if I can download it.

MSEsperanza likes this.
  3. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used this a few years ago. I don't have a facebook account any longer so I can't test it.

download a Facebook Video

(No third-party download...)

1. Play the video that you would like to download

2. While it's playing, right click on it and select Show video URL

3. Copy the video URL and stop the video player

4. Go to your browser, open a new tab, then paste the video URL

5. Change www to m {for 'mobile'} and press enter on your keyboard

6. Click on the video

7. While it's playing, right click on it and select save video as

8. Rename it, if you want (if you leave it as it is, you only have a long list of numbers), then choose a destination to save it (I always choose videos) and press the save button.

9. Go to Libraries, videos to make sure you got it.

4. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Found it was half asleep.

Have downloaded and edited so it's just EC.

Here's a link. Note It's temporary. Not sure how long it will be up.

https://gofile.io/d/HYKDxU

5. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Michelle, Hutan, anniekim and 2 others like this.
  6. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if this is the same study but Professor Stephenson was interviewed on the World at One on BBC Radio 4 today.

Short summary on BBC live news feed, may need to to scroll down

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58406184

Link to programme, starts at 33mins 50 to 38 mins 10: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000z6cx

Was concerned by his comments towards the end, not directly about the study, that these symptoms (including fatigue) are all things GPs and paediatricians are familiar with and that there are standard treatments available.

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The king is dead . Long live the King.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler, MSEsperanza, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  9. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These comments by Dr Michael Absoud, author of Zoe app LC study, in SMC’s expert reaction to preprint from the CLoCk study (Chalder and Crawley two of the many authors) looking at long COVID in children are concerning.

“With regards possible markers for multiple symptoms – being female, older, and poorer baseline physical and mental health were important risk factors.

“The importance of the interaction of the mind and body was shown in those with multiple physical symptoms having poorer mental health. The importance of a holistic approach and acknowledging a mind-body interplay, has been an ignored aspect in medical care. This suggests that more resourcing is hence likely needed to integrate mental health professionals working alongside multi-disciplinary physical health teams.”

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/...lock-study-looking-at-long-covid-in-children/

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So having lots of physical symptoms, and being at best ignored by the people who are supposed to help, being refused the help and welfare support needed to survive, isn't bad for someone's mental health?

Okay then, one medical degree for you.

bobbler, Chezboo, Ravn and 11 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And the biopsychosocial school often promote not helping in one way or another so potentially indirectly contributing to poorer mental health.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    bobbler, Chezboo, Ravn and 10 others like this.
  12. anniekim

Agree with you of course. Absoud could be referring here to the alleged finding more people with poorer mental health had multiple symptoms at baseline than those who had one symptom or less at baseline. Note though being female, older, and poorer baseline physical health also risk factors according to study. Absoud interestingly only focused in detail on the mental health baseline score and made non-evidenced claims about the interaction of the mind and body.

Ravn, Sean, Michelle and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So children who are sicker are less happy and carefree. Stunning.

14. anniekim

Agree with you of course. Absoud could be referring here to the finding people with poorer mental health before sick with long CoVid had a higher risk factor to develop multiple symptoms than those who had one symptom or less? Looking at the study, there is a question on previous mental and physical health? See attached.

I note being female, older, and poorer baseline physical health were also risk factors according to study. Absoud interestingly only focused in detail on the mental health baseline score and then waffled on about the interaction of the mind and body.

Attached Files:

15. anniekim

I looked at the CLoCK paper. Paragraphs in Discussion section show in my opinion they are looking to frame LC as having a significant mental health component and treatment should involve psychological therapies. V concerning. Know shouldn’t be surprising seeing who some of the authors are.

“Third, our findings showed that, for both test-positives and test-negatives, those assigned to the latent class with “multiple symptoms” at three months were more likely to be female, older and have poorer physical and mental health before COVID-19, suggesting that pre-existing physical and mental health difficulties may influence symptoms at three months. Unsurprisingly, those with multiple physical symptoms had poorer mental health, reflecting the close relationship between physical and mental health.”

“Taking the studies together, there is consistent evidence that some teenagers will have persisting symptoms after testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 and that mental and physical health symptoms are closely related. Avoiding false dichotomies between mind and body is likely to be helpful as, for example, stressed individuals may present with somatic symptoms or conversely persisting physical symptoms may be associated with depression and anxiety. Some individuals may develop somatic symptoms disorders29 and the existing evidence for effective management of conditions such as pain, headache and fatigue30*might be usefully evaluated in CYP presenting with persistent physical symptoms post-COVID. CYP with clinically impaired mental ill health should receive the appropriate evidence-based treatments whether or not they have physical symptoms. Family approaches and understanding of persistent symptoms is key31. Investigation of persisting symptoms may be needed or requested, with consideration of the potentially negative impact of protracted medical treatments or investigations if no abnormalities are found29.”

References 29, 30 and 31 are:

Willis, C. & Chalder, T. Concern for Covid-19 cough, fever and impact on mental health. What about risk of Somatic Symptom Disorder? J Ment Health, 1–5 (2021)Fisher, E., et al.

Psychological therapies for the management of chronic and recurrent pain in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 9, CD003968 (2018).

O'Connell, K., Berluti, K., Rhoads, S.A. & Marsh, A.A. Reduced social distancing early in the COVID-19 pandemic is associated with antisocial behaviors in an online United States sample. PLoS One 1

CLOck study link - https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-798316/v1

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  16. Amw66

It is definitely going down this route.
    There were a few tweets in the past couple of weeks by parents flagging up this framing in questionnaires their kids did ( I think from UCHL / Kings ) .
    The usual ambiguous questions and some not so ambiguous ones.

17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Daniel Griffin touches upon the study for a couple of minutes in the latest TWIV podcast. It begins at 13 minutes. The results worries him and he was a bit shocked by BBC's coverage of the prevalence of Long Covid in children as positive news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNgzxQmM3AU

18. anniekim

Thanks for sharing. Grim. Were these @Amw66 the questionnaires for the ongoing CLoCK study? Thanks

19. Amw66

I don't know if it was general screening at first appointment or CLoCK .
    4 of the questions ( seems to be the suggestive mental health ones ) were asked when parent was not present which raises other issues.

anniekim, Mithriel, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article in Medscape from sept. 1st. Study Casts New Light on Long COVID in Young People

Quote:
    Fewer children and young people may have long COVID than previously feared, according to preliminary findings.

The world's largest study into the condition found that almost 1 in 7 young people infected with Sars-Cov-2 could have symptoms linked to the virus 15 weeks after infection, scientists said.

MSEsperanza and Peter Trewhitt like this.