1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Australia

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    Hutan, merylg, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They're making many changes, most of which are not related to ME. But the changes related to ME and fatiguing conditions (mostly on page 6) are significant:

Hutan, merylg, Solstice and 3 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan and Sean like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When talking about 31% of respondents whose health professionals are a source of information, anyone know what they mean? I've genuinely never read or heard things on this issue from any medical professional that I didn't know and wasn't just common stuff you can get from any patient community, support group or charity.

Is that what they mean? It took me years to find that information and make it make sense with my experience, so for sure if any physician had given me this basic information at the time it would have been better than nothing. But it's still information you find in patient communities, not from official sources. And it was created by patients, mostly to counter the common disinformation people normally get.

alktipping likes this.
  5. Sly Saint

We failed Australians with chronic fatigue. Will we do the same with long COVID?
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-...the-same-with-long-covid-20221101-p5bulg.html

Sean, alktipping, Solstice and 3 others like this.
  6. rvallee

I think it was just a few weeks ago that IIRC the health minister, maybe?, said that they're not really seeing any Long Covid in Australia, not a concern to them, there's nothing to do here. Or maybe the president of the medical association?
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1590443943749070848

And we're really supposed to have our lives in the hands of people who keep either lying or not knowing basic facts about what's happening?

I've been saying for a while how medicine and healthcare are inherently political but this is really getting out of hands, there are many things in politics that work far better than this, where there is significantly less lying and making stuff up. Governments are heavy on bureaucracy but they are normally not that incompetent.

Solstice, oldtimer and alktipping like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Training: Hobart
    Monday, November 14 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
    further details
    https://anmftas.org.au/event/myalgic-encephalomyelitis-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-training-hobart/

Chezboo, Hutan, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could be eligible for compensation after a major class action win against Australia’s biggest banks and their insurers.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/b...s/news-story/0dd5af91d5db27c2b7d0922b22cc9b80

Hutan, Lilas, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  9. rvallee

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592971482463932418

If only past and current RACGP had not opted at every opportunity to deny and dismiss the issue of chronic illness and do absolutely nothing good about it, maybe current and future RACGP would have more than all this talk with definitely no walk.

Because the main obstacle to the RACGP doing whatever it is they could be doing here is... the RACGP. Which is a bit like a kind of self-kicking machine except it's someone else who gets hurt. Zero responsibility, though. Apparently. I have genuinely not once, in all this time, seen any expression whatsoever that acknowledges that decades of awful choices are obviously to blame for the lack of anything. There is simply no connection made between a state of systemic discrimination and pervasive refusal and the lack of anything useful out of it.

Imagine being responsible for something but nothing happens if you fail completely, you can even pretend to lead the charge at solving the problem you created while pretending you had nothing to do with it. And probably not bother much and get credit for simply thinking about it. Imagine that. What a cozy job that is. Politics, basically, where you can be the party in power for decades and run on fixing the failed policies of this government. Amazing.

10. Art Vandelay

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
    Hutan, Solstice, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  11. rvallee

Ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
    Simone, Hutan, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  13. Sean

petrichor, Hutan and RedFox like this.
  14. Art Vandelay

The Australian government has released its:

On Long Covid specifically, it claims:

No evidence is cited to support these claims. (And, indeed, no credible evidence seems to exist that would support them either. In particular, we simply do not know how many people have LC in Australia because no-one has bothered to find out.)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Hutan, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  15. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard nothing good about how Australia manages ME or LC. I hope their plan involves doing something, and that it's not just talk.

Trish, Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  16. Sean

Depending on their 'plan', all talk and no action may the least worst outcome we could get here.

17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

18. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With another great quote from David Putrino —

cfsandmore, mango, Sean and 5 others like this.
  19. Sean

And I think that we need a bit of a wake-up call across the board.

A very polite way of saying the profession needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, on certain issues at least.

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member