1. Less than a week to support David Tuller's work. To donate click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 19th October 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Australia

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kalliope, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ABC - Finding hope for those living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - interview with Sue Collins, dr. Heidi Nicholl and prof. Ken Walder

Imagine going for a short walk one day and then the next morning you can't even get out of bed.

That's what life is like for some people living with what's commonly known as ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis)/CFS.

A new research project seeks to find out more about the disease, and identify some possible treatments, using existing drugs.

Guests:

Sue Collins, lives with ME/CFS and heads up the Geelong ME/CFS Support Group

Dr Heidi Nicholl, CEO of Emerge Australia, a national organisation working for people with ME/CFS

Professor Ken Walder, lead researcher of ME/CFS study at Deakin University

Duration: 16 minutes

https://www.abc.net.au/radionationa...living-with-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/12761110

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2020
    ahimsa, Simone, Aroa and 16 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty good piece. Nothing much new (to us) in what Heidi and Sue say but they both come across well.

Ken Walder's section (starting 11:50) was brief but interesting. They're going to use white blood cells to create stem cells and turn those into a brain-in-a-dish (neurons & astrocytes) and skeletal muscle cells. They'll do this for both ME and HC cells to look for differences and then they're going to test (unspecified) drugs from a drug library on those cells.

@Michiel Tack, a bit early maybe but is this one for your collection of treatment trials?

alktipping, Hutan, Aroa and 13 others like this.
  3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's good. One wonders why this has never happened before, but it's good that it's finally happening.

alktipping, Simbindi, Mij and 8 others like this.
  4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The interviewer commented that her mother had been ill with ME for several years, but was now largely better.

So often, there needs to be a "close encounter" before people take it seriously.

5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"I felt less alone": how Australians with disabilities are fearing life after the pandemic

From simple things such as increased social connections through Zoom, to telehealth, live-streamed arts and culture, and even digital religious services, there have been new opportunities in almost every aspect of daily life. It has been particularly life-changing for those with ME/CFS, a complex condition often known as chronic fatigue syndrome.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...abilities-are-fearing-life-after-the-pandemic

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020 at 11:58 PM
    Hutan, alktipping, andypants and 13 others like this.