1. The 'News In Brief' post for w/c 8th October is now available Guest, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Issues reported about the Science Media Centre (SMC), not just ME-related

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Barry, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sly Saint 's post here ...

https://www.s4me.info/threads/scien...ss-and-the-controversy.3104/page-6#post-56250

... makes me realise the SMC's dodgy science collation is by no means confined to just ME issues, and there might well be a lot of other science sectors in the same boat with them.

So please keep this thread on track, and post links, with relevant chat if on track, of any reports you come across about the SMC's unwarranted influence on science reporting and debate. Like I say, not confined to ME ... any science, any unwarranted influence.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    MSEsperanza, Joel, Skycloud and 9 others like this.
  2. Barry

From 2014:

https://www.scidev.net/global/journ...-lambasted-for-pushing-corporate-science.html

Plus lots more. It's a good read.

Skycloud, TrixieStix, Chezboo and 8 others like this.
  3. Barry

Corrected.

When I looked through all the forum headings, this was the only one I could see that it seemed to fit in. Suggested alternative welcomed. Or maybe we need another public forum? Moderators please move if appropriate.

Melanie and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People involved in SMC have a track record of odd political affiliations and strange angles on things like GM, global warming, tobacco, animal rights etc etc. Dr Paul has some inside knowledge of the community involved and seemed to think that in most cases it did not matter too much but that the bias relating to ME was a real problem.

Joel, Milo, ukxmrv and 6 others like this.
  5. hinterland

hinterland Established Member (Voting Rights)

As the authors of the recent PACE reanalysis paper (BMC Psychology) have pointed out, there is no right of reply to SMC ‘expert reaction’ briefings.

I think there is scope for someone to set up a dedicated website providing authors with a right of reply to SMC opinion that is presented as ‘the final word’.

6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator

7. Lidia

Lidia Established Member (Voting Rights)

This one is my favourite:
    Seeding Doubt
    How Self-Appointed Guardians of “Sound Science” Tip the Scales Toward Industry
    https://theintercept.com/2016/11/15...sound-science-tip-the-scales-toward-industry/

adambeyoncelowe and Inara like this.
  8. April

April Established Member

For further information about the Science Media Centre and ME/CFS have a look at the paper by Prof Malcolm Hooper from 1st September 2013 entitled Role of the Science Media Centre and the Insurance Industry. This is to be found at www.margaretwilliams.me

9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They produce a handy flier entitled:

Advice for Researchers Experiencing Harassment
    http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Advice-for-researchers-experiencing-harrassment-2013.pdf

10. Barry

"people who have extreme views about their research" ... like, that it should fulfil the fundamental requirement of being good science ... I mean, how extreme is that!

11. Sean

Sean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Accountability always seems 'extreme' to those wishing to avoid it.

12. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does the Advice for researchers experiencing harassment include advice for SW to avoid Australia?We know of his concerns about ball tampering.

Edit perhaps that should include EC, for reasons that are entirely beyond me.

14. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's shocking. Likening sick people who want to get better to climate change deniers and animal rights activists. It's beyond offensive. If they said the same things about black or LGBT rights campaigners, they'd be rightly lambasted. Why does this go unchallenged just because they're dissing disabled people?

The societal problem with the BPS model (beyond the flaws in science, I mean) is that it's inherently ableist. If you can't heal, it's your own fault. If you're chronically ill, you didn't try hard enough. If you claim benefits, you're playing the sick roll. It's always disabled people who are to blame, and if we speak out about this, we're maligned as militants.

15. Chezboo

Chezboo Established Member

This from 2017. It is a thorough investigation into the SMC, it's background and operation with a focus on examples of its bias. Includes some interesting quotes and links to other pieces.

"Does Science Media Centre Promote Corporate Views of Science?"
    By Stacy Malkan in US RTK

https://usrtk.org/our-investigations/science-media-centre/

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, that seems quite comprehensive.

Of course we are all aware of corporate corruption. The interest in the SMC is the apparent hypocrisy - the claim of being pro bono public when in fact the opposite be true.

With the current UK and US governments there seems to be no reason to think anyone in government would care about such hypocrisy. They make no claim to be guardians of the public good. And the alternative seems to be steeped in hypocrisy - as in Tony Blair taking a ride in Bernie Ecclestone's car.

I have put it in the notebook.

17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have just read this quote from the article :

My perception of current news :

I remember years ago (in the 1990s and before?) that Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth would often be quoted in articles or would appear in interviews on the news. But they appear to have vanished off the face of the earth, based on the news programs I see on British TV and what I read in British newspapers on or offline nowadays. The same is true of Amnesty International - another group that would be mentioned quite often in years gone by, who now are almost never mentioned.

18. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One such quote from Prof Malcolm Hooper:

“Discrediting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

A 2013 paper by Malcolm Hooper, Emeritus Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Sunderland, UK, reported evidence that SMC promoted the views of certain psychiatrists while ignoring other evidence that contradicted the psychiatrists’ theory, in an effort to discredit people with ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

“For those not blinded by the SMC’s dazzling aura, it appears that its covert purpose is to ensure that journalists and the media report scientific and medical matters only in a way that conforms to government and industry’s ‘policy’ on the issues in question.”

“An organisation which behaves in such a blatantly unscientific way can have no legitimate claim to represent science.” “

19. Barry

It would be great for the SMC to get investigated regarding this in due course. But if, as many of us have suspected along the way, the SMC has indeed be covertly nurtured by forces aligned with government/industry ambitions, there will be equally strong forces lining up to prevent that.

20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's funny how BPS in practise means psychological therapy. The external social/societal issues that hold disabled people back are rarely if ever challenged, even though that is a central pillar of BPS...

Inara, It's M.E. Linda, Sean and 6 others like this.