1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Healthwise to "retire the GET/CBT topics" from medical content

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Webdog, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you are on Twitter, consider thanking @Healthwise for removing Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy from their ME/CFS content (and the Kaiser Permanente website).

Alternatively, you can contact Healthwise on this webpage:
    https://www.healthwise.org/contact.aspx

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    MEMarge, Simone, Sly Saint and 22 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

BRAVO!!!!!

MEMarge, WillowJ, inox and 14 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Big win for the Internet Hound!

:party::party::party:

MEMarge, WillowJ, inox and 13 others like this.
  4. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fantastic!
    kickflip_1.gif

MEMarge, Sly Saint, inox and 10 others like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Before thanking anyone else I'd like to thank a certain very determined dog here, and very loudly, too: THANK YOU @Webdog !!!

MEMarge, Simone, inox and 14 others like this.
  6. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Webdog well done!! Your name makes me giggle...great work!!

MEMarge, inox, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.
  7. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Great work, @Webdog Thanks very much.

MEMarge, Simone, inox and 7 others like this.
  8. Webdog

This is a big win for Kaiser Permanente members with ME/CFS. But Kaiser Permanente physicians aren't bound by what the website (Healthwise) says, and can still prescribe as they see fit. And, as many have pointed out, although GET/CBT are gone, the website ME/CFS content still needs more changes.

However, much is happening behind the scenes to ensure all Kaiser Permenante physicians will provide better ME/CFS diagnosis and care in the near future. And the Winter 2019 Healthwise update should bring more changes to the Kaiser Permanente website.

Kaiser Permanente has roughly 13 million members.

A sincere thank you to @Keebird, @Medfeb, and "@Learner1 from PR" for their help and contributions.

Keebird, MEMarge, WillowJ and 23 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Great work Webdog!

From Solve's latest webinar they hope to work at educating healthcare providers and getting them involved in their registry and biobank and have apparently already started talking to Kaiser.
    Slide showing their plans
    Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 18.22.00.png
    Skip to about 38 mins in to listen to that bit here.
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/SolveMECFSInitiative/videos/2194607644084672/

Yessica, Keebird, MEMarge and 18 others like this.
  10. Webdog

Good to hear. Getting Kaiser Permanente's Division of Research interested in ME/CFS has been a long term goal for me. Kaiser has the 2nd largest biobank in the US, as well as the ability to do large scale longitudinal studies in diseases.

In past contacts with KP's Division of Research, they weren't interested in studying ME/CFS, but were surprised to hear about its severity and prevalence.

Edit: I've been thinking about the feasibility of an LDN study for KP's Division of Research.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Yessica, Keebird, Stuart and 21 others like this.
  11. Webdog

I am really excited that Solve is talking with Kaiser Permanente. I truly think this is an approach outside of government that could speed up certain areas of research given the NIH is dragging their feet.

Patients just want better clinical care and more effective treatments providing better quality of life and better health outcomes. Kaiser Permanente wants this too (don't laugh!). Treating ME/CFS as an actual serious biomedical illness is a major cultural shift in medicine. I've been reassured by a doctor I trust that such paradigm changes always take time.

Would also like to see Solve working with the new Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine. They probably already are. :)

Yessica, MEMarge, WillowJ and 23 others like this.
  12. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Webdog This is fantastic. Would not have happened without your persistence. And it sounds promising for future improvements in care.

Yessica, andypants, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  13. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great result for all your hard work @Webdog

andypants, MEMarge, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  14. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

15. Webdog

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  16. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, MEMarge, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  17. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

As a member of KP in Washington state, I'm curious to know what is "happening behind the scenes" if you are able to share. If you can't say publicly, can you send me a PM? Thanks.

andypants and MEMarge like this.
  18. Webdog

The orphaned GET/CBT pages have been scheduled to be removed in a special January 2019 Healthwise content update (seems to be an interim update between the usual fall and winter updates). They remain on the website only because of a technical error with the content management system.

Note that these pages only show up in searches and are not linked from the current ME/CFS content. Any Kaiser Permanente member can file a complaint with Member Services requesting that the GET/CBT pages are removed as quickly as possible. I don't think it will speed up the process, but it can't hurt and you will get some kind of response with 30 days.
    Edit: I've been promised an estimated date soon. Jan 8.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Yessica, MEMarge, Sunshine3 and 16 others like this.
  19. Webdog

The orphaned GET/CBT pages mistakenly left on the Kaiser Permanente website are scheduled to be deleted tomorrow (Tuesday, Jan 8). That's according to Healthwise, as Kaiser Permanente won't say anything for 30 days.

As noted in previous post, the URLs are:
    Also, I've had it pointed out to me there is another problematic old page that should have been deleted. I've requested it be included in the site maintenance tomorrow, but never got a reply. Here's the link to that page:
    Hopefully after tomorrow, none of these links will work.

Edit: For posterity, I just archived all 3 of these URLs to the Wayback Machine.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Yessica, inox, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  20. Webdog

I pinged Healthwise, and the "product release" update is scheduled for tonight (Jan 8). The pages have been hard coded into the update to ensure they get removed. So everything looks on track.

Still no word about the 3rd link, however. But it's not as important as it's much less visible in searches. If this page does still exist tomorrow, I'll remind Healthwise so they can delete it in the following update.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Yessica, inox, Comet and 19 others like this.