1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Healthwise to "retire the GET/CBT topics" from medical content

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Webdog, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Makes NICE' s failure to remove these treatments more damning.

alktipping, Hutan, Simone and 18 others like this.
  2. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done indeed.

Could you point me to the information Healthwise provide on ME/CFS and CBT/GET please? I found their website rather confusing and couldn't see a search facility. Many thanks!

alktipping, Hutan, Simone and 10 others like this.
  3. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you Webdog!
    Great job.

4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kudos, @Webdog! Excellent piece of advocacy.

5. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes really excellent and all credit to Healthwise.

6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - I've mentioned that in my email, which I hope I have finally succeeded in submitting!

Hutan, Simone, Jan and 8 others like this.
  7. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fabulous news....well done & thank you @Webdog :thumbup:

You are awesome!!

Hutan, Simone, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant @Webdog. :)

alktipping, Hutan, Simone and 6 others like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a fantastic achievement @Webdog! Thank you so much for al! your hard work and persistence. Well done! :trophy@:trophy@:trophy@

alktipping, Hutan, Simone and 8 others like this.
  10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Webdog
    Thank you so much for pursuing this until you reached a satisfactory conclusion.
    Very well done.

alktipping, Hutan, Simone and 8 others like this.
  11. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In prior contact with Healthwise, they had cited NICE (and Cochrane and ancecdotal reports) as evidence to continue recommending GET/CBT.

I'm very glad Healthwise didn't wait around for NICE to change course.

12. Webdog

Here are the current GET/CBT Healthwise modules on the Kaiser Permanente website:

GET - https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.or...ncyclopedia&ctype=kb&locale=en-us&hwid=zx1021
    CBT - https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.or...ncyclopedia&ctype=kb&locale=en-us&hwid=zx1040

Also, I will attach as PDFs the previous iteration of the GET/CBT modules. They were much worse (lots of old CDC toolkit bullshit + PACE) before the update last year.

Edit: There was an intermediate update in March of 2017 between the current Nov 2017 content and the 2016 attached PDFs. I don't have copies of that, I'm afraid. The main March 2017 change was deemphasizing GET/CBT.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  13. Webdog

I sent a quick thank you note to the Bateman Horne Center, as Healthwise mentions their recent "Clinicians' Summit" was a primary reason for dropping GET/CBT.

Nina, Joh, alktipping and 19 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Webdog this is brilliant can I just ask whether I’ve understood correctly that this healthwise
    Content is syndicated to other websites so them removing it will have a knock on effect. If so does this mean you will have achieved your aim to get Kaiser Permanente to remove their recommendation or am I jumping the gun with that?

This change will add weight to pressure on NICE to act before 2020 so thank you you from the U.K. for that

15. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Webdog

Yes and no.

Yes, the Healthwise update should trickle down and update the content for every healthcare organization that subscribes to Healthwise.

No in that doctors are not obligated to follow Healthwise recommendations. So, in theory, Kaiser Permanente could have the updated Healthwise content on their website while at the same time their doctors still recommend GET+CBT for ME/CFS.
    Patients, more than doctors, read Healthwise content.

Still, it could be awkward for a healthcare organization to prescribe treatments at odds with the recommendations on their own website.

I'm not entirely sure how this will play out. Perhaps those healthcare industry experience have a better idea on this.

17. Webdog

One of the nice things is that so many places subscribe to Healthwise. Including WebMD.

So when Healthwise content updates, so should WebMD (eventually). And perhaps this will then propagate WebMD content in the UK? (speculating here).

WebMD.png

Edit: It does appear WebMD is still using an old version of Healthwise content (copyright says 2015). So I have no idea when WebMD will update their severely outdated Healthwise content.

Nina, Joh, Indigophoton and 11 others like this.
  18. Webdog

Thanks for the heads up @arewenearlythereyet

I just sent a message to WebMD asking them to please immediately update their Healthwise content for "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" and "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".

These Healthwise sections were last updated in 2011 and 2015 respectively. :confused:

Negligence or intentionally holding onto PACE? I have no idea.

Edit: I send out ME/CFS email comments to websites all the time, using temporary email addresses that I retire periodically. It must be my ME/CFS perfectionistic obsessive compulsive vexatious personality. ;)

Joh, Binkie4, alktipping and 20 others like this.
  19. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great. This is quite exciting ...if webmd change in the US and not in the UK I’m sure we could start a campaign and approach boots to update their company information too (which may not be visible to the public). Boots is the biggest high street pharmacy chain here. They do have stores under a different brand name in the US too I believe but I’ll need to check that. And if they change then maybe the rest will follow...we can then approach the supermarkets that host the pharmacies on their estate and really get the ball rolling?

20. Webdog

Healthwise said if I had any more questions, just ask. So I asked Healthwise if they would reach out to WebMD about updating their quite old ME/CFS content.

Joh, Binkie4, alktipping and 19 others like this.