1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

FITNET-NHS Esther Crawley - 5th protocol out now

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by daftasabrush, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peer review . . . probably.
    Robust peer review . . . not at all. Or at least not in the particular genre of research that matters to people who have no diagnostic test for illness. That peer reviewing is more along the lines of a 'gentlemen's club'. ;)

MEMarge, FMMM1 and chrisb like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't "peer review" mean that some short-sighted person has peered briefly at the abstract?

MEMarge, TiredSam, Missense and 2 others like this.
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's an extract from @Trish post re Brian Hughes article*
    "York researchers, commissioned by NICE to review the research evidence on which they had already published a review of the same trials full of caveats/limitations in JAMA several years earlier".
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/nice-...-10th-november-2020.17687/page-51#post-362044

So it's pretty clear that the limitations of these studies [unblinded + subjective outcomes] were known. So yes it looks like a self lubricating wheel - you pay me (via Government grants) to say the right thing --- then I'll say it.

@Jonathan Edwards has some interesting insights e.g. ordinary people often being able to see more clearly than the (financially interested) academics. Also, being asked "whose side was he [Jonathan] on" i.e. the medical profession or the patients side - the answer is clear from his input here.

*'The Science Bit'
    https://thesciencebit.net/2021/08/1...the-new-nice-guideline-ask-about-the-old-one/

MEMarge, Snowdrop and Mithriel like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.