1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this was before NICE took to using GRADE. As to how decisions were made then I have no idea. I guess the 2007 report will contain assessments of trials of some sort.

2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cochrane though use GRADE too, and repeatedly came to different conclusions in their assessment of the quality of evidence of therapist-delivered treatments.

Also, didn't NICE use GRADE for their cr*p Guideline on "primary pain"?

I think that point needs to be addressed -- see post above:

Edited to add: And what differed in NICE's evaluation of the evidence on the treatments of primary pain on the one hand, and on the treatments for ME/CFS on the other hand?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That is what Brian Hughes looked into in his latest 'The Science Bit' article. A couple of quotes, referring to the evidence review in the published appendix to the 2007 guideline:
    Hughes then spells out some of the caveats and concludes:
    https://thesciencebit.net/2021/08/1...the-new-nice-guideline-ask-about-the-old-one/

That's what I was querying. Why did the York researchers, commissioned by NICE to review the research evidence on which they had already published a review of the same trials full of caveats/limitations in JAMA several years earlier, not repeat those limitations in their NICE report? Who instructed them not to? And why?

4. Jonathan Edwards

You are several steps ahead of me @Trish.

I missed that you were responding to #1004.

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is an extraordinary piece of information regarding the York teams evidence. It looks as though we can now see how the evidence became "supportive".
    Because they know where their funding comes from?

Sly Saint, Hutan, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I think this would reasonably be regarded as unethical practice.

I keep being tempted to write a rapid response to the BMJ news piece but I think best not.
    So there are two answers why the evidence became unsupportive. Documents at the time show that it was not supportive even then, and was gerrymandered, and the PACE trial confirmed that there was nothing there.

JohnTheJack, Frankie, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've only skimmed this but it seems like something you could ask via a freedom of information request. I can't see it being permissible to refuse to release documents in this context.

Wits_End, Hutan, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Not me, too busy. But if you want to please do.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could appraoch Tanya at BRAME as she was on this Working Group in 2007?
    http://www.brame.org/about.html

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Tanya_Harrison
    I have contact details if needed.

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

After a lot of hard work by them on a tight timescale, the list of what our team considered to be substantive errors in the guideline was sent to NICE this morning. My assumption is that we will not be able to share this feedback publicly until the guideline itself is public.

For any other stakeholder reading this, the deadline is 5pm today.

11. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me the real revelation from Hughe's article is:

In 2001, the York Reviewers noted high dropout rates and the unreliability of self-reported outcomes, especially in combination with CBT attempeting to modify the patient's perception of their health.

In the 2007 guidelines these weaknesses were apparently omitted from the discussion.

In 2021 the draft guidelines acknowledge these weaknesses once again.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    RTKatt, Hutan, Michelle and 22 others like this.
  12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks to our NICE guidelines (rapid response) team and to those forum members who are members of or who inputted to the NICE Committee itself. The work involved has been considerable, but hopeful a resultant significant improvement will make this cost worth while.

Brian Hughes latest Science Bit piece highlights for me just how flawed the process that resulted in the previous guidelines was, and how much at least last year’s draft and the evidence review represent a significant advance for towards science based management of ME.

Fingers and toes crossed and thumbs squeezed (Daumen drücken) for next Wednesday.

Frankie, StefanE, geminiqry and 27 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frankie, Hutan, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  14. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. MSEsperanza

If anyone wants to check the JAMA paper from 2001:

Whiting P, Bagnall A, Sowden AJ, Cornell JE, Mulrow CD, Ramírez G. Interventions for the Treatment and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Systematic Review. JAMA. 2001;286(11):1360–1368. doi:10.1001/jama.286.11.1360

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/194209 (paywalled)

sci-hub: https://sci-hub.se/10.1001/jama.286.11.1360

(Edited to remove a question that has probably become redundant).

A thread for this paper has been created here:
    Interventions for the Treatment and Management of CFS: A Systematic Review, 2001, Whiting et al

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022
  16. MSEsperanza

Can't be repeated too often. (All 3 paragraphs)

Huge thanks from me, too.

17. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t know if this is of any help or use but I did get copies of all the minutes from the previous guideline group meetings that NICE held. I had a quick search of these documents and there are references to the York review.

I have just spent the weekend in hospital though and my head is scrambled and I can’t go through them to see if there is anything useful.

There are references to the discussions so there might be something good in there that would be a great quote for an article.

if anyone wants to look through these they were uploaded in this thread https://www.s4me.info/threads/2005-...eline-development-group-meeting-minutes.2589/

18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's usually used in politics but, well, this is political and applies 100%: "If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell".

Not sure which is it when all the steps are skipped and they went straight to pounding the table and yelling, but then they did start on the wrong side of the facts and evidence so it was the only option available to them.

Arvo, Sean, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The difference in number of trials considered is massive, but it seems wrong, there were definitely more small trials of either CBT or GET before 2007, certainly more than a handful. So the selective reporting of cherry-picked studies was especially heavy. But to have added no less than a combined 200 trials for both since really sounds like a crisis in itself. When something works, who needs 200+ small trials with loose methodology?

I frankly don't understand how that in itself is not a problem, just doing the exact same thing in circles hundreds of times over the exact same way with the same intent, same conclusions and basically same everything. Like "hitting" an entire game of holes-in-one, just needed a few thousand Mulligans and clever video editing since none ever actually made it. Super legit.

Kirsten, Frankie, obeat and 7 others like this.
  20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's whack a mole, or whatever.

Perform enough 'trials' and hope that eventually one of them will produce fluke results that 'verify' their religion is 'right'.

The billions of ones that didn't, are irrelevant, once one does, an simply, prove' how determined they are to 'help', and what good 'scientists' they are.

Keep doing the same thing, over and over, and, if you keep going long enough, eventually you'll hit a mole.

MEMarge, Sean, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.