1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

EU Petition 2019 - opportunity to lobby for funding for ME research

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by FMMM1, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, Strategist. I'll add it to the pdf-version if that's ok with you.

[EDIT: It's not exactly clear but I think those words were from Dolors Montserrat, chair of the Committee on Petitions, who was being translated instantaneously from Spanish.]

JaneL, Ravn, petrichor and 6 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes.

Annamaria, Dolphin and Cinders66 like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed.

JaneL, Amw66, Annamaria and 3 others like this.
  4. Colleen Steckel

Colleen Steckel Established Member (Voting Rights)

THANK you so much for the transcript! And I agree this was a quality presentation. Science not silence... great message.

That first quote indicates to me the world is still expecting the NIH to lead the way. Which is a reminder to the US advocates how important it is we push for proper diagnosis of ME so research dollars are used most effectively.

I see the information they drew from continues the six month requirement. We really need to get that dropped so patients are guided from day one to protect their health to improve long term outcomes. I think most here know I advocate for adoption of the ICC and one of the many reasons is it does away with the six month wait for diagnosis. It guides doctors to immediately start ruling out other possible diseases and to guide patients to avoid push/crash cycle.

JaneL, ahimsa, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

all of us from the U.K. need to get this signed if we’re going to support it.......

JaneL, Amw66, petrichor and 7 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm going to let my fantasy run wild for a moment.

We could get the EU to nominate a person in charge of "developing ME research", in recognition that the research situation is comparable to a cycle of poverty that is difficult to escape without financial stimulus.

That person would be responsible for allocating some amount of annual funding in the way they think is best, but with an explicit mission to make research in this area grow in size and quality, and according to patient needs.

This project would run for 5 years at least. The EU would decide how much funding this person is allowed to allocate and they would be able to replace this person if there's a problem.

JaneL, Aroa, Annamaria and 2 others like this.
  7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes you can still sign - I'm not sure when it will be closed, but if you wish to support it, I suggest that you sign it now.

JaneL, Joh and Andy like this.
  8. NelliePledge

Signed up for an account and I can see the petition but there’s no obvious way to sign it

Annamaria likes this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the MEAction guide to the petition, http://www.meaction.net/2019/07/17/...k-the-eu-for-funding-for-biomedical-research/

Supporting the Petition

Here you can find the petition. The summary has been provided by the PETI Committee;

https://petiport.secure.europarl.eu...esearch+on+Myalgic+Encephalomyelitis+%28ME%29

(Petition No 0204/2019 by Evelien Van Den Brink (Dutch) on a request for funding for biomedical research on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis)

Evelien’s personal experiences as a patient have been used as a way to petition the EU to make funds available for the development of a biomedical diagnostic test and biomedical treatments available to all ME patients.

You can support the petition if you are an EU citizen. You will have to register first. Your name and other personal data will not be publicly available when you support the petition. Please follow these steps:

1- Go to https://petiport.secure.europarl.europa.eu/petitions/en/home

2- Choose your language in the top left corner.

3- Click “Menu” in the blue bar on top of the page. Click “Register” in the menu.

4- Fill out the registration form and click the green “Register” button (bottom right).

5- Confirm your e-mail address through the link you will receive in an e-mail.

6- You can now log in. Go to the petition again;

https://petiport.secure.europarl.eu...esearch+on+Myalgic+Encephalomyelitis+%28ME%29

7- Click “Menu” in the blue bar on top of the page. Click “Log in” in the menu. Fill in your username and password and click on the “Log in” button.

8- Support the petition by clicking the blue button (“Support this petition”) at the bottom of the page.

9- You will receive a confirmation by email.

If you have any questions about the registration process and/or supporting the petition, please take a look at the FAQ;

https://petiport.secure.europarl.europa.eu/petitions/en/faq

JaneL, ahimsa, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.
  10. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, really impressive. I hadn’t realised the petition would result in a patient allowed to attend to plead the case. Tanjana did a fabulous Job and I have to say her appearance was as powerful as a thousand words, you could see they were moved by her enfeebled condition and I don’t think that Anyone seeing her would have thought oh she is just deconditioned or psychologically ill so that convinced them without saying a word.

I was initially concerned with the first ministers response , along lines of we don’t finance just one illness we have heard many times before, although he did atleast suggest doing something to stimulate the field. I was grateful to the MEPs who spoke further and reiterated need for action and funding to combat stigma. I thought that the Final sum up by the EP official was encouraging
    So well done and thanks to all :trophy@:thumbup::emoji_bouquet: &those who made it available in different formats on this forum.
    Made My day .

JaneL, Amw66, Aroa and 9 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

Thanks @Andy

I have also now signed

JaneL, Barry, Annamaria and 4 others like this.
  12. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I circulated thr petition on the local Facebook me groups earlier this year. I think the complexity involved in signing it has put some people off, as has the Brexit situation. I agree that us in the UK should sign it asap, and have suggested that.

JaneL, Annamaria, EspeMor and 7 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for this, Michiel, and many thanks to Evelien. We all know the sacrifices it takes to do what she did.

It's pretty amazing how the precise reason for why no progress has been made is so often cited as a positive fact.
    Without a sincere, well-funded effort built on a strategy that will not simply give up after a short bare minimum effort, it's basically guaranteed that there will be such failures. Some diseases get a jump-start by the efforts of a small group. That's a bargain, it is, however, not a guarantee. When that fails, the only reasonable strategy is to target a disease specifically. This is beyond self-evident. Failure is a choice and at this point medical and public health institutions own this failure. This late in the process, just waiting on chance is not acceptable.

JaneL, ahimsa, Aroa and 7 others like this.
  15. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Michiel Tack Thank you! :thumbup:
    I signed the petition a while back, I realized when trying to sign it now;)
    I had a vague feeling I did, but wasn't sure.
    Immense thanks to Evelien, what she accomplished today was heroic! :trophy@

JaneL, Aroa, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  16. FMMM1

There's a "Guide to support the petition" link on this webpage
    https://www.meaction.net/2019/07/17...k-the-eu-for-funding-for-biomedical-research/

ME Action are supporting the petition.

I've told my local MEP that I doubt that this system meets EU equality legislation! A lot of people with ME have cognitive impairment and haven't been able to sign the petition.

JaneL, It's M.E. Linda, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  17. FMMM1

JaneL, Barry, Annamaria and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rory Palmer got one thing wrong, let me fix it: "ME patients across Europe would be across the world are incredibly proud of your contribution".

JaneL, ahimsa, Lisa108 and 5 others like this.
  19. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you on twitter @Ravn ?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1179687200138649600

If not, I’m sure @Michiel Tack (or I) would be happy to send your message to @Rory_Palmer and also @Jude_KD (another UK MEP) who also tweeted support of Evelien

JaneL, Ravn, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  20. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1179687200138649600

That labour MEP spoke well. I’m pleased there were a few voices saying we need deeds, actions help. I’m not sure if it was left to the original minister we would have had much reason to hope, he at least said looking into stimulating research could be done but that was left so vague I would have been disappointed if that was all. I also don’t consider his billion pound budget too small to help us Either, Especially if you consider the amount the European space projects are costing. Contrast the UK response which isn’t even that, it’s just we don’t invest in specific illness, sort the problem yourself.

JaneL, Ravn, rvallee and 3 others like this.