1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: JAX ME/CFS Center and Derya Unutmaz news

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

March 18 Scientist spotlight - Peter Robinson
    https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/03/29/scientist-spotlight-peter-robinson-m-d-m-s/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2021
    MEMarge, WillowJ, Webdog and 5 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think he sounds like a great asset to the team, with his combined knowledge of medicine, bioinformatics and genetics.

Aimossy, MEMarge, WillowJ and 9 others like this.
  3. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Yes, a great asset!

I read his bio, and felt he understood the nuts and bolts of what type of data to collect and how to use it. I hope he continues studying ME, because we need people like him to delve deeper.

Edited to add his bio:
    https://www.jax.org/research-and-faculty/faculty/peter-robinson#

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    MEMarge, WillowJ, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep.

Aimossy, MEMarge, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Advances in ME/CFS - Hungry mice feel less pain
    https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/04/17/gen-article-hungry-mice-feel-less-pain/

6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought we already knew that higher levels of blood glucose were inflammatory, so not eating for 24 hours would logically reduce this level and thus, relatively, be anti-inflammatory?

7. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will also raise your cortisol, which lowers inflammation short term.

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

People in ME/CFS - Jen Brea

https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/05/08/patient-advocate-interview-jennifer-brea/

ahimsa, Inara, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Duplicate thread merged

Jackson Labs is Derya Unumatz's place and here's an interesting and recent interview by someone called Courtney with Jen Brea that covered some interesting things I've not heard Jen talk about before.

Read the rest here: https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/05/08/patient-advocate-interview-jennifer-brea/

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2018
  10. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/05/16/approaches-in-biomedical-research-the-microbiome-part-1/amp

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  11. Indigophoton

https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/05/31/patient-advocate-spotlight-alan-gurwitt-m-d/amp

ahimsa, Sean, dangermouse and 17 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

What a lovely man. And psychiatrist.

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine

Farmington CT Patch
    21 hrs ·
    Event is June 14 @5:30 pm; Researcher to Give TED-style Talk on Latest Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Breakthroughs

[​IMG]
    JAX Hosts Free Community Event to Share CFS Research
    Event is June 14 @5:30 pm; Researcher to Give TED-style Talk on Latest Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Breakthroughs
    patch.com

eta:
    When & Where

Thursday, June 14
    5:30 PM – 7:00 PM

The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine
    10 Discovery Drive
    Farmington, CT 06032

The deadline for registration is Thursday, June 7, 2018.

Today: Chronic fatigue syndrome, (also called myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME/CFS) a highly debilitating and poorly understood chronic disease, affects between 836,000 and 2.5 million Americans. Symptoms include profound fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, sleep abnormalities and pain. This mysterious disease can look similar to many other illnesses and the cause is unknown. There’s currently no test to diagnose ME/CFS, so patients have to endure a lengthy process of elimination before knowing whether they have it.

In the future: Imagine a world in which patients can have their blood samples screened for potential immunological biomarkers of ME/CFS. No stigma, no waiting, no process of elimination: just a smart diagnostic tool that can lead to personalized treatments for the disease.

JAXtaposition: Derya Unutmaz, M.D., JAX immunologist and renowned expert in HIV, is finding ways to diagnose and treat ME/CFS by tracking down the immune, metabolic and microbiome changes that lead to the disease. Join him for a TED-style talk to learn more about how he is identifying the biomarkers for this chronic disease, in order to pave the way for precise diagnoses and new therapies for patients.

This is the future of medicine. This is JAXtaposition.

SPEAKER
    [​IMG]

Derya Unutmaz has received his M.D. from Marmara University Medical School, Istanbul, Turkey. He did postdoctoral studies at Novartis, Switzerland and at NYU. He was an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University, where he received tenure and promoted to associate professor. In 2006, he moved to NYU School of Medicine as tenured Professor of Microbiology, Medicine and Pathology. Since 2015 he has been Professor at Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine, in Farmington, CT, and affiliated Professor at UConn School of Medicine. He is currently the director of Collaborative Research Center for ME/CFS at Jackson Laboratory.

His lab developed various genetic methods and assays to interrogate human T cells from healthy and patient subjects. These approaches led to several important discoveries on disruptions human T cell subsets during diseases such as HIV infection and understanding basic biology of human immune cells. Dr. Unutmaz’s research interest recently shifted in understanding the interaction between the human immune system and microbiota. He continues his translational medicine focus to understand and fine-tune immune responses during cancer, aging and variety of chronic diseases, especially Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).

He has published more than 100 original papers, including in Nature and Science, and is a co-inventor in 7 patents. He is the Immunology section editor of PLoS One journal since its inception and frequent reviewer at NIH grant committees. He also served as reviewer in more than 50 NIH study sections and international review committees, and was steady member of NIH, NIAID, AIDSRRC study section between 2009 and 2014. He is currently the director of NIH funded Collaborative Research Center for ME/CFS at the Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT.

https://www.jax.org/give-to-jax/events/jaxtaposition-chronic

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Aroa, alktipping, Helen and 16 others like this.
  14. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What an interesting idea, drown out Ester?

alktipping and Melanie like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

What does it say?

Melanie likes this.
  16. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. brf

brf Established Member (Voting Rights)

Is this being webcast or a live event only?

Edit: Apparently the recordings will be made available on their website after editing.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  18. Indigophoton

https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/06/14/scientist-spotlight-alison-motsinger-reif-ph-d

Andy, Louie41, Skycloud and 12 others like this.
  19. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like this answer a lot.

I'm enjoying finding out about researchers, instead of being distant abstract beings, these interviews humanise them.

Andy, Louie41, Dr Carrot and 12 others like this.
  20. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find the excitement at how interesting we are encouraging. I hope this gets communicated effectively to other researchers.