US action: Ask your health care professional (doctor, nurse, therapist, etc) to watch Unrest online for credit

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by ahimsa, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's a relatively easy advocacy action for patients in the USA: Ask your health care professional to watch Unrest online and get continuing education credit.

What I did was print out some flyers (found here https://www.meaction.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Doctor-flyer.pdf ) and then gave them to my doctor at my last appointment (my cardiologist). He responded positively and even mentioned that a friend's son now has this diagnosis.

I plan to print more and bring them with me to other doctor appointments (eg, I need to make one with my primary care physician soon). I'm also thinking of giving a few to the pharmacists next time I go to pick up a prescription.
    More details here: https://www.meaction.net/unrest-ce/

Squeezy, JaimeS, andypants and 4 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very nice. I imagine @JenB and MEAction had to jump through a lot of hoops to get this approved so congratulations to all!

Squeezy, JaimeS, andypants and 3 others like this.
  3. ahimsa

I just wanted to add that I hope this is not seen as a duplicate thread.

There is already a thread discussing the continuing education credit here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/us-he...-and-new-diagnosis-and-management-video.5880/

But I wanted to stress the action part - patient telling their doctor/nurse/therapist/etc about it, either in person with a flyer or maybe by email. Many patients who are unable to do very much advocacy work might be able to do something like this.

4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The last doctor I saw refused to take any information from me despite being abysmally ignorant.

However, I left an Unrest medical education flyer with the pharmacy onsite (I don’t even get my scripts filled there, but I did buy a decorative pill container for bringing an emergency dose in one’s bag), and they seemed very pleased to get it. It was a Kroger pharmacy.

ahimsa, Squeezy, JaimeS and 2 others like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds like a great result for the US.

ahimsa, WillowJ, Squeezy and 3 others like this.
  6. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice work, @ahimsa :)

I’m not sure how it works in the US, but here most clinics, health centers, etc., usually have a board with a variety of health related info. I would pin a flyer to every single one I came across. Even if they take it down, at least they will see it, and maybe some other people too.

7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And hopefully for other countries soon!

ahimsa, WillowJ, Squeezy and 3 others like this.
  8. ahimsa

Argh! :mad: Sorry to hear that :(

Obviously, some doctors just don't want to listen to patients. I've had quite a few of those. That's why I stick with my current primary care physician and cardiologist. I've been seeing those same two doctors since 1994 and 1995 respectively.
    Great! Since this continuing education credit covers so many types of health care professionals I am trying to think about other places where I can leave these flyers (with permission, of course).

WillowJ, andypants and JaimeS like this.
  9. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s cool you have two good doctors.

I like my (new) PCP and cardio (of a few years), too. There are some good doctors out there.

Edit: fix the quote box(es: there were two!)

ahimsa, andypants and JaimeS like this.