1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT BLOG: MINDFULNESS FOR HEALTH COURSE

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by hellytheelephant, Jan 9, 2019.

1. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hello all!

I have just started Breathworks Mindfulness for Health online meditation course. The cost is £55, and the commitment is to doing 2x 10 minute guided meditations daily, most days.
    https://www.breathworks-mindfulness.org.uk/online-courses/mindfulness-for-health-online

As some of you may know, I have severe ME as well as constant chronic pain and also other chronic illnesses to manage.

The aim of doing the course is to help me to manage pain better.

I am taking it slowly, so anticipate it will take around 12 weeks, and I will be blogging about it during that time: https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/01/may-i-be-well-may-i-be-happy-may-i-be.html

08d4c56d1eb73c1600839eb8579405de.jpg 2381e55edbd5499d1736660507d7cbf6.jpg

Wonko, ladycatlover, Amw66 and 13 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So sorry to hear you have other chronic conditions on top of severe ME. That must be hard, as many of the options that could help a bit often are impossible to do. Best of luck with the course <3

4. hellytheelephant

5. hellytheelephant

6. Trish

Very interesting reading about your experiences trying meditation, @hellytheelephant. We ME folk seem to have variable responses to it with some finding it makes things worse and others finding it helps. I don't think I'd have the energy to cope with the ups and downs you are experiencing with it, but I wish you well and hope you find it helpful.

Some experiences are shared on this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/meditation.3220/

7. hellytheelephant

Thanks @Trish- an interesting thread. To be honest my motivation for doing the course is more about chronic pain than ME. When I originally learnt Meditation I did 20 mins twice a day. Now it is 10 min guided sessions. I also don't attempt to 'sit' and you are encouraged to gently shift during the meditation if you need to. One of the benefits of this course, is that it is designed by someone who lives with chronic pain and uses a wheelchair. There are no expectations, and the course can take as long as I need.

Yes, quite a few ups and downs, but I am really keen to do it. I am also motivated to keep going by the fact that if I give up then many people would know!!!!.

8. hellytheelephant

9. hellytheelephant

MEMarge and andypants like this.
  10. Trish

Thank you @hellytheelephant. You write with such honesty and humour. It's inspiring.

11. hellytheelephant

Thanks @Trish - I must admit I have struggled to express how I have found the course...it is a bit like herding cats trying to get my ideas in some kind of order!

MEMarge, andypants and Trish like this.
  12. hellytheelephant

BTW: this is the last 'running commentary' Blog I will be doing on the course. I have less than a week's worth of hours to finish...and the last Blog in this series will give all the practical info for anyone who might be thinking of doing this course.

I will post the final summing up and info on the course in the lifestyle management section, in the hope that more people will find it. I have included used links and my review of the course.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Amw66, rvallee, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  13. hellytheelephant

Lucibee, oldtimer, Trish and 2 others like this.