1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Chronic Elephant blog by hellytheelephant

Discussion in 'Relationships and coping' started by hellytheelephant, Feb 4, 2018.

1. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler, AliceLily, Mithriel and 12 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You put it so well, Helly. If only we actually had the energy to throw a full blown massively noisy and energetic toddler tantrum! I'm sorry you had such a rotten day.

3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

you certainly put it so well Helly. Am currently in massive tantrum mode since neighbours decided, without notice (despite the fact they know that noise hurts me), to build a 25mtr long brick path requiring repeated use of a soil compacter (large plate that hammers into the ground & makes the bed vibrate).

They started it on thurs night, said it'd be going all day friday so i went & laid on friends bed instead all day, but only you guys understand that unexpectedly having to get everything ready to go out for the day, is a big deal, & then they didnt even finish - dont know when they will do the rest - "one day next wk or the wk after", so i now have my life on hold for a fortnight waiting at any moment to have to leave to escape the noise. I just sat & sobbed.

The lack of agency this disease causes is just horrendous. It robs all, or almost all control. And frankly the only response to that is a massive tantrum, i wish i had the energy to throw one!

MEMarge, AliceLily, bobbler and 12 others like this.
  4. hellytheelephant

Oh @JemPD - I totally get it. People have no idea what noise and vibration do to us!! I can totally relate to the stress of getting ready the ' bag for leaving the house' - my 9 month old nephew needs less stuff than I often need!!
    Poor you- with the 'this week or next week' timescale BS. We are on week 14 of buiding work on our estate ( was supposed to be finished in 10!) The worst thing is not being given proper notice.

Will be thinking of you:hug:

5. hellytheelephant

Exactly! The thought of falling to the floor then drumming heels and fists...just not worth the flare- up!
    :hug:

MEMarge, AliceLily, ahimsa and 8 others like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ugh how awful. i hope its over very soon
    I had the windows open the other day and i heard a female voice (not my neighbour i dont think, but coming from her garden... say the word "extension".

my blood ran cold, am praying like mad that they arent planning one, but i wouldnt be at all surprised :eek:

MEMarge, AliceLily, bobbler and 9 others like this.
  7. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read something yesterday which suggests that, if people are planning on having work done to their home simply to add value to it, they should abandon the idea at present, because labour and materials costs have shot up so much that it's unlikely to be a viable option. Perhaps you could drop that into the conversation somehow ...

bobbler, MEMarge, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  8. hellytheelephant

It's week 17(!) of the endless sprinkler- installation project on our estate and I'm in flare-up!
    i decided to write more of a tongue-in-cheek blog this time around.

for those of you in pain, I hope this raises a smile or two...:hug:

YE OLDE CRAP CURES FOR PAIN
    https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2022/08/ye-olde-crap-cures-for-pain.html

I am posting the full size pic, as it is a good reminder thzt it's never been easy to navigate being ill! the-sick-goose-and-the-council-of-health-19th-century-artist-george-B0KHN7.jpg

MEMarge, MeSci, Sean and 8 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just want to point out that leeches do have a medicinal/surgical use:

"So why are surgeons using the leech therapeutically again? The medicinal use of leeches — scientifically known as hirudotherapy — re-emerged in the 1970s. Leeches have a useful function in reconstructive and microsurgery where they can relieve venous congestion. For example, when a surgeon reattaches a severed finger, it is much more difficult to repair the smaller veins than the large ones, so the finger can become swollen with blood. The hungry leech sucks out the excess blood slowly and steadily, which keeps the finger healthy while the veins knit together and heal. The anticoagulants keep the blood thin, so that clots don’t form and create problems. It’s an effective treatment with few side effects."

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/library-and-publications/library/blog/why-you-should-love-a-leech/

Probably no use to us though!

10. hellytheelephant

Thank you @MeSci - that's really interesting! As you say, probably not usable by us on a daily basis;) :hug:

11. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Though the modern use of leeches is based on good science, whereas the doctors clinging on to the historic use of leeches up to the nineteenth century, where relying on a belief in the idea of bodily ‘humours’ which had no scientific basis.

MeSci, alktipping, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  12. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. But as a point really I think the main ME websites should have a section on this - I hate it being subsumed under the term 'intolerance' or 'sensitivity', because sadly in today's day and age that gives too many an excuse to suggest the problem is 'all ours' or one of perception and only kind people then read on.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that for when one does have to request 'reasonable adjustments' or just ask for consideration (and hope people are nice) for there to be some official pages that back up what we say of just how awful it is at the time and just after but also how it leaves us ill for ages. They could also give an idea of how it takes us x time to recover from a 'quick trip out of the house' or whatever other common things many think we might exaggerate or not understand - I've had a few say 'you've got more time than me' to me, re: tasks and that might be a good title for the section (!)

I do think that the lack of info backing us up everywhere (of the type you expect to see for all other illnesses with distinctive symptoms as a 'you need to know') in a factual sense but from officials rather than blogs alone undermines us - and furthers the stigma of us being fusspots