1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Chronic Elephant blog by hellytheelephant

Discussion in 'Relationships and coping' started by hellytheelephant, Feb 4, 2018.

1. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2022
    Graham, MEMarge, Indigophoton and 8 others like this.
  2. hellytheelephant

Merged thread

HOW TO COPE WITH FLARE-UPS-THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT'S GUIDE

This Blog is about coping with a flare-up.I wrote this last year, and it has been patiently waiting to get posted! As I am flared-up at the moment, it seems like a good time to post it!

Some of these tips are fairly basic for those of us who have been sick for decades, but I hope it will provide some insight for those who are newer to ME than I am.

https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-elephant-survival-guide-to-flare-up.html

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Full of good sense as ever. Thank you @hellytheelephant. I hope your current flare up passes soon. :hug:

4. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @hellytheelephant. Also hope you improve soon.
    I've subscribed so, as a relative newbie, I look forward to reading more wisdom in the future.

5. hellytheelephant

Merged thread

6 BOOKS THAT HAVE MADE IT EASIER TO LIVE WITH ME

My latest Blog is about books about Chronic Health, that have been well thumbed over the years. Believe me, I have tried a lot of others that have been either unhelpful/too complicated, or just plain wrong!

My first two choices relate to ME/CFS...and the others could be equally useful to anyone living with long term illness. One of the best things both Mr Elephant and myself have got from these books, is the sense that we are not alone. I can particularly recommend' The Technicolour...' and 'How to be sick', for finding ways of coping with changed and depleted relationships.

I am something of a 'timed- pacing' refusnik, so I don't use the first book for that, but I know many people find this approach helpful. p8.png p5.jpg

https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/08/6-books-that-have-made-it-easier-to.html

Dolphin, Keebird, diwa and 20 others like this.
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. hellytheelephant

ladycatlover, Sean, Barry and 10 others like this.
  8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I just put the kettle on...… :)

9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

only just finished cup of tea and mr ks almond slices other brands are available . It is very true tea is the glue of british society . but I stopped having sugar in mine twenty years ago as a way of not getting middle aged spread = the polite british way of talking about putting on the pounds in your fourties

10. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Loved your article @hellytheelephant

Canadian tea drinker here.

Yes, hard to give up tea amidst all the other banned substances that many pwME seem to have to avoid due to symptom flare ups if they transgress.

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like my tea strong ... but not that strong!

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NAAFI tea was (and probably still is) a stalwart. Tea would go into a huge pot at the start of the day. Throughout the day it would be topped up with more water ... and more tea ... and more water ... and more tea ... etc. A glorious mix of fresh with the interminably stewed. Strong enough to stand your spoon in :D. Brutal in its way.

ladycatlover, Ebb Tide, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Also known as British Rail tea or builders tea.

My nana’s classic comment - you like yours about half don’t you. Goodness knows what she would make of my current brew - redbush.

The other beverage based saying is my French friend describing instant coffee as jus de chaussette aka sock water :rofl:

14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like mine quite weak & very milky - which I know is utter heresy lol.
    But I never drank it till I was about 30 because i'd never tried it anything but very strong builders & thought it was disgusting.... until I said yes to a cup just to be polite during a visit & was served a cup of what other people have disparagingly called 'baby' tea... & I loved it!
    I now cant get enough. I even have a travel kettle in my bedroom for when i'm not up to going downstairs to get some.
    I have to have decaff though.

It's just so comforting :)

Has anyone noticed that in the US they leave the tea bag in, with the string hanging down the side, so the bag hits your lip when you drink? UGH! :sick:

Barry, ladycatlover, Ebb Tide and 3 others like this.
  15. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pacing, im with you, I’m not sure what I’d hope to achieve from that. I just do what I can, when I can, till I can’t. What I can do seems to be a little less week by week, and I wonder if the condition might turn severe with me, but meanwhile I just try and achieve a little something every day.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  16. hellytheelephant

I took part in an online course teaching me pacing...and the instructor crashed halfway through. :banghead:Nuff said!

shak8, andypants and Trish like this.
  17. hellytheelephant

Frankie, feeb, Simbindi and 10 others like this.
  18. hellytheelephant

19. hellytheelephant

20. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Needing 144 toilet rolls? That's gross!

ahimsa, hellytheelephant and zzz like this.