1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Chronic Elephant blog by hellytheelephant

Discussion in 'Relationships and coping' started by hellytheelephant, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe not.

The official line is that cardboard causes the virus to break up quite rapidly.

Toilet paper may be even better at killing the virus when it lands on it.

One or 2 coats of toilet paper on all surfaces, wrap everyone up in it mummy style, and the virus is doomed - at least until it rains, there is a light breeze or an act of cat.

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If toilet paper is so good at killing germs, why are we encouraged to wash our hands after using it?

3. Wonko

Fairly sure it was both lol

Now we are encouraged to wash our hands before touching anything, after touching anything, and whenever we think there is a possibility we might want to touch something.

The problem is I mainly use soap when washing my hands, and soap is a thing, and then I dry them, with a towel (as I don't possess an air hand dryer, they are reputed to be unhealthy, and they don't actually work very well).

Towels are things!!

So I should be washing my hands after using one.

4. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On that theme, what do you do with dirty soap? Can soap actually be dirty? If soap needs washing, what do you wash it with?
    Sometimes it's the really deep questions of the universe that trouble me most.

5. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2022
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Nice post, Helly. :)
    I recently discovered Bardcore. :emoji_violin:

Louie41, ladycatlover, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  7. hellytheelephant

Thanks @Sean- i love the sound! Particularly the CREEP, with slightly amended lyrics.

8. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow bardcore is lovely. I don’t remember where I mentioned it but I really like watching videos of medieval and “historic” fashion, and this music goes so well with that. Very relaxing and melodious.

Also, veggie breakfast is the best. We call it “big breakfast” in our house. Except we don’t often have hash browns or veggie sausages unless my partner is about, but we just have bread, baked beans and fried eggs. Once I even had fried bread after having it once in a cafe outside.

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cheese on toast with baked beans on top is yummy too.

10. hellytheelephant

ahimsa, Chezboo, Sean and 7 others like this.
  11. Wonko

The cat may need more training - although getting stuck in things is a simple task for most cats so you may need to consider having it evaluated for cognitive impairment ;)

Lockdown, for me, has been mainly about freedom, freedom from having to interact, at least on some levels, with other people.

This I do not mind.

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

An excellent and entertaining summing up of a very strange year. Thanks, @hellytheelephant.

13. hellytheelephant

Merged thread

Getting Creative When You have ME

Well, it's been a heck of a long time since I blogged!
    This Blog is about getting creative when you are in pain/are housebound/in bed/ or living with the crumminess of chronic illness.
    As some of you will know, all the art I done is created from bed, so all the tips I include were honed from years of trying things out and seeing what was do-able.
    :emoji_elephant:

https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2022/04/you-are-not-picasso-thats-good.html

Amw66, ahimsa, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  14. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant Helly,

i'm pretty sure that art teacher couldnt do 'that' either? Nor, evidently, could he even do the basics of his job!

And in any case who wants to be someone else anyway, what a jackass!

16. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I enjoyed the blog it is such an important subject. Creative pursuits have helped me cope with ME. It gives me confidence when I go back to an old project and think it is good but most of all, I plan things in the long hours when sleep won't come.:)

Years ago, when I first started using a wheelchair, I managed to go a silk painting class for the disabled. The cloth and paints were so beautiful in themselves it was not possible to make anything unattractive. One woman with MS had very limited movement but just poured on paints and salt and made some lovely scarves.

My drawing skills are non-existent even before ME affected my movements but crafting nowadays has so many products and techniques from skilled artists that it is open to anyone to be creative. I love watching youtube and the shopping channels.

I am not completely confined to bed and have a carer so it is easier for me but I hope I can carry on doing something.

Amw66, Lilas, Kirsten and 8 others like this.
  17. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You guys have inspired me to get out my sketchbook and Mark Kistler's Draw Squad book again. I found it very helpful for learning the basics of drawing. It's for both kids and adults.

Amw66, Lilas, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  18. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I loved your blog @hellytheelephant! I loved your tips on getting started, like “reduce your mental load”. It’s all made me think about starting something creative and small again :) I used to do cross stitch, and hand embroidery, but I’d love to maybe restart machine sewing (maybe with an adapted machine that doesn’t require me to have a foot pedal)! One of the issues I used to have is the thread getting tangled really easily. But I’m thinking about stitching some bows, small purses etc!

AliceLily, Missense, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  19. hellytheelephant

Thank you everyone who said they enjoyed the Blog- I was quite nervous of writing a Blog again, and it really makes me happy to know some of you found it helpful- so thank you!!

To that end, as long as it's ok with moderators), I want to suggest that this thread could be a safe space to share your artwork/doodles/crafting etc.

What do you think?!.

20. hellytheelephant

My brain and body are feeling bruised today. Doing a bit of ' colouring- with-one colour,' to help with anxiety.