1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It shows what we are up against. The opinion of a professor to whom a paper is sent for review is apparently ignored. Why, and by whom? Presumably he must have been considered a "safe pair of hands".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Presumably Trish Greenhalgh. I may be misremembering but doesn’t she have some connection to Wessely?

5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

These are the exactly the sort of people we need onside. Patients can never force the change on our own, we don't have the political clout. It needs people with authority to force the issue at the senior levels of the profession.
    Right questions.

Shinygleamy, Anna H, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The review stage involves the editor, reviewers and the authors. Does the BMJ now have open access review now? If so, the info may be out there. The authors most likely included it in their draft and didn’t want to remove it.

alktipping, sebaaa, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘I’ve progressed very, very slowly’: B.C. COVID-19 ‘long-hauler’ shares recovery story

https://globalnews.ca/news/7319727/b-c-covid-long-hauler/

Has a few video interviews. At this point I'm really looking forward to reports moving away from single interviews with patients and building up on more data. I know everyone but us is slow at this but at this point they don't add much and continue to give the impression that cases are few enough that it's necessary to track down individuals, rather than reporting on the broader data.

Michelle, leokitten, sebaaa and 12 others like this.
  9. rvallee

For Long-Haulers, Covid-19 Takes a Toll on Mind as Well as Body

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/health/coronavirus-mental-health-long-hauler.html

Has some good bits but somehow they felt it necessary to talk with Jo "anyway, how's your shopping bag handling skill?" Daniels about how it's important to stay away from support groups, even though the article is mostly about how it's a lifeline for the community, how so many were on the verge of suicide and found strength in knowing they aren't alone. Go away Daniels, you are extremely bad at your job.

This is bordering on psychologizing but mostly because of Daniels' irrelevant comments. Otherwise it's certainly fair to think of the mental health consequences, although this article more than once somehow places fatigue as a mental health issue, which I can't even.

That those paragraphs actually follow the one talking about how the support groups are a lifeline is seriously irresponsible. The absurdity of "mass hysteria" has to end, it's clearly a fully invalid belief system that has no place in modern science. Enough.
    I'll file this under "most 'mental health' issues are actually socioeconomic". Despair is easily confused with anxiety and depression in the minds of people who disagree that the despair is a rational response to impossible circumstances.
    No. You have clearly failed at this for decades. You are incapable of doing this and are out of your element. As Paul Garner said: ENOUGH FAFFING.

Michelle, leokitten, sebaaa and 14 others like this.
  10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No doubt Jo Daniels thinks what she has to say is intelligent and relevant and important.

It is none of those things. It's horrifying every time this woman is in print. So many people who've recently become ill with long-covid are coming forward and declaring how this is not at all as they imagined. And that's the problem. JD et al all think they know what it's about and what to do based on absolutely nothing but the conjuring of their own twisted minds.

Again, so many people realising that they had no idea what people with ME/cfs were on about and now they understand.

Take a hint JD and all the little minions that cling to this sickeningly abusive notion of being an expert while knowing less than nothing.

11. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle, sebaaa, ScottTriGuy and 3 others like this.
  12. Jaybee00

FWIW I just sent a request to the NYT for a correction of this sentence. "Immunologists speculate that long-haulers’ symptoms might persist because they harbor fragments of viral genes that are not infectious but that trigger violent immune reactions." I believe that Ron Davis' group has/had largely put this idea to rest. But even worse, the reporter should have quoted an actual immunologist!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  13. Jaybee00

If anyone else has energy and wants to point out any corrections to that article the email for the corrections department is nytnews@nytimes.com

alktipping and rvallee like this.
  14. rvallee

That's what happens when you break the feedback mechanism and cheat the process to turn failure into the appearance of success. All useful feedback gets removed and it becomes possible to fail miserably for decades while genuinely believing to be highly successful.

They did the equivalent of surrounding themselves with drooling sycophants even as they were falling deeper into absurd woo, with their claque dutifully applauding every misstep simply because a step, any step, must be applauded at all times.

15. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed in the mid 90s that my fatigue and energy moved separately quite a lot. I could have high energy and high fatigue (on protocols I was on back then), which included an increased capacity to walk long distances, I could also have high fatigue and low energy - the usual stuff. These symptoms moved separately for a long while. More usually they moved in tandem, so its easy to see how people get that idea, though its also possible we are talking different kinds of physical energy and fatigue states in combinations.

I have had "deconditioning" symptoms suddenly go away for hours or days, and return just as suddenly. No way that is regular deconditioning.

alktipping, sebaaa, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  17. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if anyone is doing a study on whether giving steroids to people when they have Covid results in a lower rate of long-Covid/ME? Wouldn’t that be interesting to know?

Michelle, Wits_End and Hutan like this.
  18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(referring to the BMJ letter)

Michael Peel, general practitioner

1. Author affiliations
    1. mpeel@doctors.org.uk
    In inner London, where we saw some of the earliest cases of covid-19 in the United Kingdom, we are now seeing patients with prolonged symptoms like those described by Salisbury, who were only mildly unwell at the time, if at all.1 There are not many, but they are of all ages. They remind me of patients I saw in the mid-1980s with tiredness and muscle pain on the slightest exertion, but more severe. The term the patients used was ME, which became chronic fatigue syndrome, which described their situation more accurately. Most of my patients learned to slow down, something that they found difficult, and to increase their exercise gradually. They almost all returned to living a normal life, though it took up to a year. They did much better than the patients I am seeing with the same label now.

What can we say today to our patients? That we do not know what will happen, but there is always hope. Take a medium term view. Trying to do too much too quickly is counterproductive. Ask, “Can I do more than I did two weeks ago?” because it will be slow. Michael Mayne wrote A Year Lost and Found in 1987, towards the end of his recovery, and it gives a good perspective. We can’t make promises, and none of us has a magic wand, but we can be there, and perhaps that’s the most important tool in primary care.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2020
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A very disappointing letter. Out of date and hasn't a clue about ME.

Sounds like the patients he saw had PVF that resolved.

20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Public Health England
    Guidance: COVID-19: long-term health effects
    Published 7 September 2o20

Persistent health problems reported following acute COVID-19 disease include:

• respiratory symptoms and conditions such as chronic cough, shortness of breath, lung inflammation and fibrosis, and pulmonary vascular disease
    • cardiovascular symptoms and disease such as chest tightness, acute myocarditis and heart failure
    • protracted loss or change of smell and taste
    • mental health problems including depression, anxiety and cognitive difficulties
    • inflammatory disorders such as myalgia, multisystem inflammatory syndrome, Guillain-Barre syndrome, or neuralgic amyotrophy
    • gastrointestinal disturbance with diarrhoea
    • continuing headaches
    • fatigue, weakness and sleeplessness
    • liver and kidney dysfunction
    • clotting disorders and thrombosis
    • lymphadenopathy
    • skin rashes

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...lqf4W3_2mpBe64ta2iweSt32WKHYP8WNV6k-K9-C8gqtI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.