1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akrasia

akrasia Established Member (Voting Rights)

Chagrin that it's come to this, or just that he's really completely new to saying Myalgic Encephalomyelitis in public. Perhaps, he should stand in front of a mirror in gradually increasing temporal increments and practice until he can say it with confidence.

Yes

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    MEMarge, Joh, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gecko, ahimsa, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  3. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting to see Fauci mention me/cfs. But, I think what matters, is what he says about it as we approch the magical transmogrification deadline (thanks for the word @chrisb) when early post covid might actual qualify as me/cfs. Perhaps, September. Because he has developed quite a following in the last few months. Does he speak strongly and supportive about it? Or is he furtive and ambivalent. He almost brought us into relevance (where we are relevant) during the largest focus on medicine in recent history, but I fear it might end like that. Just an obscure mention in one interview never to be heard from again.

Michelle, 2kidswithME, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'This is real': COVID-19 long-hauler's months of agony

https://au.news.yahoo.com/real-covid-19-long-haulers-months-agony-182714545--spt.html

Medical gaslighting has to be made illegal. It's what lead us here, leaving us vulnerable to threats we knew about and simply chose to dismiss. It is still blocking the path towards solving this. I really hope psychiatrists experiencing this will force some change within the profession, but it will have to be made illegal, it's immoral and simply wrong.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Michelle, Sean, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2020
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've scanned them. While there's a fair bit I'd argue with, they aren't aimed at ME patients. For those with very mild ME, or other conditions they may well be fine. I liked that they pointed out that it is important to reserve some resources for things you enjoy. That is pretty important.

Then some strange stuff. This made me laugh out loud -

I know no surer way of getting myself (& my knickers) in a knot than trying to pull pants on at the same time - even if they are yoga pants. If you do manage it some seam or other is guaranteed to twist itself somewhere uncomfortable.

As for the skirt over the head business.....eh, no.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2020
    Anna H, AliceLily, Mij and 16 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not own a skirt.

Now I've got to buy a skirt?

(I may still have a kilt in the loft somewhere if that's an acceptable substitute - but I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to put on over my head, so maybe not)

Anna H, AliceLily, Michelle and 17 others like this.
  9. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just saw this event on the other forum. Fauci is doing a "fireside chat" with the dean of Stanford medical school tomorrow morning, and it will be live streamed.

Anyone can submit questions in advance (see link below). Hopefully he'll receive more questions about the possibility of ME and/or PVFS as a result of COVID.

StanfordMed LIVE Featuring Anthony Fauci
    Dean Lloyd Minor will host the government's leading infectious disease expert – Dr. Anthony Fauci – for a virtual fireside chat that contextualizes COVID-19's recent resurgence, highlights our path to overcoming the pandemic, and answers your pre-submitted questions.

Date: Monday, July 13

Time: 10:30–11:00 am

Submit your questions here

Watch LIVE
    Please note: Internet Explorer no longer supports the livestream platform. If you use Internet Explorer, please access this event by copying and pasting this URL https://livestream.com/accounts/1973198/events/9190750 into a Firefox or Chrome browser.

Date and time subject to change due COVID-19's quickly changing conditions.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    AliceLily, Michelle, Sean and 7 others like this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So we believe that Fauci says that post-covid syndrome is highly suggestive of ME. Do we now know what he considers ME to be?

MEMarge, Michelle, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  11. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It might be easier with boxer shorts? :p

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or none :p:p

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure I've never put a skirt on over my head.
    Perhaps we could combine the two bits of advice.
    [​IMG]

rainy, Anna H, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  14. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(my fault, totally just saw this is a duplicate post)

Just sharing from a post I saw on Phoenix Rising:

Stanford (California, USA) is hosting a "fire side chat" with Dr. Fauci on Monday. There is an opportunity to submit questions on the link below. I just submitted a question on Covid-19 long-haulers & ME/CFS patients. Would be great to keep the momentum towards Dr. Fauci and have him continue to address ME/CFS publicly. As we know Stanford is involved with their ME/CFS clinic & research initiatives, my hope is that they would offer these questions submitted to Dr. Fauci pertaining to ME/CFS on this platform.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeYFOJvthaVpuiDRphUZ6cR5h7sz5L3Z5TNn74X2GflvQ5K1Q/viewform

[​IMG]

"Join Dean Lloyd Minor as he hosts a virtual fireside chat with Dr. Anthony Fauci

Date: Monday, July 13*

Time: 10:30 a.m. Pacific Time

Dean Lloyd Minor will host the government's leading infectious disease expert--Dr. Anthony Fauci--for a virtual fireside chat that contextualizes COVID-19's recent resurgence, highlights our path to overcoming the pandemic, and answers your pre-submitted questions.

Submit your questions now!

Click here to access the livestream.

If you use Internet Explorer, please see the note below.

Please note: Internet Explorer no longer supports the livestream platform. If you use Internet Explorer, please access this event by copying and pasting this URL - - into a Firefox or Google Chrome browser.

*Date and time subject to change due to COVID-19's quickly evolving conditions."

Kitty, JemPD, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Skirting the issue will only end in an unholy dress.

Anna H, Michelle, Mij and 11 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

That picture of Dr F must be about 15/20 years old.

Wits_End and ladycatlover like this.
  17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BBC: Coronavirus doctor's diary: Why are people remaining ill for so long?

But more likely, these long-haulers are experiencing a prolonged and exaggerated immune response to the original infection, on top of the damage caused to their lungs and other organs.

Our challenge as doctors and researchers is to find out more about what causes these long-term effects and then develop treatments that help these patients, and others with similar post-viral chronic fatigue. This is a neglected area of research, because it is so difficult to find answers, but Covid-19 has been an incredible catalyst for science and discovery, and the spotlight on these long-haul survivors may help advance our understanding.

"In the clinic we're running we're going to be having a dietician, a physiotherapist, as well as a lot of psychological input, because patients are developing the cardiorespiratory complications, but they're also developing post-traumatic stress, anxiety, depression, and they've got neurological symptoms and chronic-fatigue-like symptoms.

"And so how we can support them, how we can set programmes in place - either psychological programmes or rehabilitation programmes - is going to be really important. And we need good evidence about what works."

Rob Whittaker, a consultant clinical psychologist, says waves of tearfulness among Covid-19 survivors are very common and there is "an emerging picture" regarding cognitive difficulties, such as Molly's problems with her memory.

"But it's really hard at the moment to tease apart what's to do with fatigue and emotional, or what might be more organic. It's too early to say."

18. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pity Whittaker equates the fatigue with emotion ☹️

I remember feeling very weepy in months 3 and 4 after onset and then it stopped, while the other symptoms continued. I've always been the calm one in a crisis so it was a very weird experience.

alktipping, Anna H, Michelle and 14 others like this.
  19. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Several LongCovid on Twitter are saying that symptoms resolved completely between 100 and 120 days post infection. I expect any research studies won't have blood samples to cover these crucial early weeks.?

20. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What would have been the crucial blood work taken in the early weeks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.