1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle, Invisible Woman and Dolphin like this.
  2. rvallee

Haven't noticed any. It's mostly about anything physical.

But I see a lot of brain fog and people raging about how incredibly frustrating it is. Probably keeping off doing anything demanding unless absolutely necessary.

Sarah94, obeat, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They probably meant 32 billion euros - but i'd agree, no idea how they arrive at such a figure

Invisible Woman and NelliePledge like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wait until they discover the term PEM.

JaneL, merylg, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. rvallee

Oh it's OK this is medicine it's not as if accuracy mattered. 1mg of morphine. 1g. Same difference when you really think about it. After all it's all about internal expectations, or something like that.

Kitty, Sarah94 and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. rvallee

Many have! I've even seen it used almost exactly. Many have butted in explaining it, usually people who had mono before. Others have found it elsewhere.

Relapses. Crashes. The same vocabulary. It's frankly remarkable, how natural language comes out organically when it makes sense. Literally none of the BPS framing ever comes up. Obviously. I'm sure the explanations for this would be as entertaining as they would be absurd.

Joh, Kitty, Wits_End and 14 others like this.
  8. rvallee

Chezboo, Hutan, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMF has translated the interview into English
    Covid-19 and ME News Flash from Uppsala

Kitty, Dolphin, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  10. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If so many people are experiencing post covid fatigue, wouldn't that be something to bring to the attention of all the involved Corona epidemiologists and virologists right now?

Or are they, by their expertise, only interested in Corona spread/prevention, not its effects on the body?

Because it seems a little like post covid symptoms are now fully up to psychiatrists interpreting/framing them.

We don't hear much publicly from Corona experts or at least "real" doctors on this. Why?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Sidney, Woolie, Kitty and 10 others like this.
  11. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not in the case of the GP who originally (mis)diagnosed my caree. He put her down as TATT, but didn't believe in ME.

Kitty, JaneL, Invisible Woman and 5 others like this.
  12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TATT was distinguished from CFS to begin with it has only gradually merged with it as CFS has become chronic fatigue then simply the symptom of fatigue.

Kitty, hinterland, Simbindi and 2 others like this.
  13. rvallee

Most are waiting it out. Which is smart but also dumb without adequate monitoring. The hope is that it will go away on its own, that if you don't look for it it doesn't exist and the problem will resolve itself naturally. Even though history and published literature shows otherwise. Even though it's infantile thinking that happens to be massively immoral given history. Which means the current hostile guidelines effectively guarantee the problem will have the worst possible outcome.

The simple lesson is that being dumb about things leads to terrible outcomes, atrocity in this case. Hoping a problem magically disappears if you don't look at it is absurdly unprofessional and immoral. But the belief system of conversion disorder appears to be the highest principle in medicine, it supersedes everything, exempts from the scientific process, from ethical or even moral concerns, waives all responsibility.

Moving forward it will be necessary to make conversion disorder an explicit signed affirmation with traceable accountability. The # of cases would drop by over 90% almost immediately, because no serious physician would ever make that determination on paper if it lead to accountability that can be traced back. Right now it is implicit, but essentially has force of law. Which will all but guarantee to make the problem grow to its worst possible outcome.

Sidney, JaneL, Anna H and 7 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, they aren't going to be treated any more seriously than us. Just more poor souls joining the fray.

15. rvallee

Coronavirus: Calls for awareness of long-term effects

Actual scientists? Or BPS "scientists" / quacks. One of the large studies is happening at KCL, a BPS bastion. I wonder how that will play out in discussions between scientists and "scientists".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-53084368

Anna H, Dolphin, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  16. rvallee

A French politician, suffering from long-term COVID symptoms, is pushing for a law monitoring and supporting long-term COVID-19 illness.

https://www.bfmtv.com/replay-emissi...our-proteger-les-malades_VN-202006110252.html

Can't do a full summary and it's just a video but a few notes:
    • Was told she had PTSD, not impressed with the suggestion
    • Fundamental problem with being able to diagnose, faces a wall with physicians
    • People are angry and frustrated at being told it's psychological (how vexatious!)
    • 10% is beginning to emerge as the consensus finding

It's really like decades of history happening in the span of a few months. It's a common trope that some years have decades of history crammed together but this is literal here.

merylg, Anna H, 2kidswithME and 23 others like this.
  17. rvallee

I'm beginning to see more and more accounts of people who thought they had recovered, had a few good days where they thought they were done with, and relapsed. I saw several over the weeks but they are becoming more common. It would be incredibly useful to be able to follow closely, have constant monitoring and testing during the entire phase to see those patterns.

So much fluctuation. Some straight up remain ill. Others have what seems like a recovery only to relapse. I see a lot of talk of waves of symptoms, not necessarily brought about by any exertion but others who find clear exertion triggers.

And so many had a very mild illness, sometimes literally just a mild cough. So much for the whole PTSD "traumatized by a neat-death experience". All the tropes are being dismantled thoroughly. Decades wasted on this nonsense.

Just one example but I'm seeing lots of that:

merylg, Anna H, Dolphin and 15 others like this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whatever happens among the scientists (with or without quotation marks), the gammon is already out and shouting in the comments section – trying to link it to anything from political correctness, so-called benefit scroungers, and even Brexit. The BBC has closed it for further comments.

merylg, Woolie, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  19. rvallee

Found out about this:

https://www.coronerve.com/
    From this:

How coronavirus can attack the brain
    https://en.brinkwire.com/health/how-coronavirus-can-attack-the-brain/

20. rvallee

I don't know where else to post this...

I have Google search alerts for some ME terms. In the last few weeks I've been seeing more and more old articles from PubMed showing up. It rarely happened in the past and likely caused by increased views and attention to those articles.

Not all good since many are BPS stuff but there appears to be growing attention. Not sure if anyone else noticed the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.