1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Independent SAGE briefing from 23rd July, focusing more on Long COVID. Includes some mentions of ME, nothing that I thought particularly noteworthy, apart from one "ooooh, it's a terribly difficult area to work in" type of comment.
    Code:
    https://youtu.be/omJP53VAQcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJP53VAQcw

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm seeing a growing number of people reporting LC symptoms after vaccination. Are those symptoms caused by vaccines? No one knows. Could they have been caused by mild or asymptomatic infection that went unnoticed and was worsened by the vaccine? No one knows either.

But until people find out for good many are speculating, for the same reason why some people are claiming they recovered from exercise/fasting/niacine/whatever: it's the only correlation they can see. Also the same reason why some people push other weird things, from drinking aged urine to gaslighting CBT for chronic disease, without science to determine what's true, it's all about who has the better marketing program for their particular beliefs.

No doubt this will be used by the antivaccine crowd. And with good reason, in that it's easy picking without a firm answer. Uncertainty brings incoherence like this, is bad overall for the public good. And this is largely happening because of a delusional fantasy that not talking about it means it won't be a problem (no point asking why the problem remains, they don't care and have no pressure to provide any coherent reason), a belief system reinforced by being able to then point out that no such reports exist.

Will Richard Horton and The Lancet manage to fuel the antivaccine crowd not just once, kickstarting it, but twice, amplifying it? Appears so. Not alone on this later chapter but still, imagine being responsible for this and not only keeping your job but being praised as a courageous disinformation fighter. Rewarding failure looks just as bad in real life as it sounds.

Chezboo, rainy, Helene and 7 others like this.
  4. rvallee

On the topic of things that could get litigious. Maybe this is not a problem at all. but it would be hard to argue that due diligence was done in not bothering to find out, at least for anyone with a modicum of integrity. There is a similar issue with blood donations and ME being banned, though the ban not being taken seriously should be particularly litigious. Does it apply to LC? Does anyone care to check? Does it matter that it is technically in effect in many countries for ME, which should apply to pwLC who do have ME? Considering that people aren't told and authorities don't take it seriously? Who's responsible when no one cares? Should the patients care? No one wants to inflict that on others, however unlikely/unknown it may be.

It's an issue I'm dealing with right now preparing a will (no issues, just being prepared). I'm opting out for transplants, too much unknown. Sure would be nice to know. Of course brain transplants are not a thing but the growing evidence for brain damage probably has downstream consequences, especially if one significant issue has to do with poor oxygenation, which would affect any tissue.

However doing this coercively is especially bad.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1418634283519029249

Chezboo, EzzieD, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  5. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. I suspect long-covid may become politicized in very extreme ways. I hope I'm wrong about that.

rainy, alktipping, obeat and 4 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems to be the much larger anti-lockdown "we need to live with the virus" crowd who frequently deny that long-covid is a thing, or think that everyone is going to magically recover 100% within a few months.

Louie41, MEMarge, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Decide to look at the number of cases in Australia, after all the media coverage - no disrespect, but they made me a laugh - 200 cases a day ---50K in the UK.

Louie41 and alktipping like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

We're having a 7 day lockdown over 3 community cases and guess what? It's worked.

Louie41, Chezboo, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  9. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to hear it's working but you wouldn't believe it i.e. based on the media coverage here.

Louie41, MEMarge, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

I keep seeing UK people saying "but low deaths" therefore everything is fine, but the UK has had more deaths in the last 3 weeks than Australia has had in total throughout the entire pandemic. And the Australia has 37% of the population of the UK...

Of course, even if just 1-2% of COVID cases become long-term ME/CFS cases, then that is a major catastrophe in the UK...

MEMarge, EzzieD, FMMM1 and 10 others like this.
  11. rvallee

Anti-lockdown measures and anti-masks, too. The overlap is surprisingly almost perfect. And likely the same overlap of people who think chronic illness is laughable. It's "the fear is worse" crowd that doesn't seem bothered that obvious trolls agree with them at every turn.

There's some sort of pattern here... almost like some sort of psychological projection and generalization from their personal navel-gazing experience. Almost.

FMMM1, Tia, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

13. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More than 25 000 have been diagnosed with postcovid in Sweden. That is 2,4 cases per 1 000 people.

Över 25 000 svenskar har fått diagnosen postcovid
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/over-25000-personer-har-fatt-diagnosen-postcovid

But so far only 7 out of 21 regions have special clinics for postcovid.

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  14. rvallee

Hutan, rainy, Kalliope and 9 others like this.
  15. rvallee

Hutan, Snow Leopard and Sly Saint like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If what he means is that the people with Long Covid will now have the right to legal redress for civil rights violations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, that could be a big deal.

Hutan, Amw66, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lawyers will love that. Why would the law discriminate against those with practically identical symptoms.

Hutan, alktipping and rvallee like this.
  18. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since Sweden had only very mild lockdowns/ social distancing rules I'm curious: Are there attempts in Sweden, too, blaming LC on mental health issues due to restrictions?

Hutan, rainy, Helene and 2 others like this.
  19. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, there are. The most common claim still seem to be that LC is a "cultural illness" caused by stress/anxiety and the so called "fearmongering by mass media and on social media", I think?

Hutan, Amw66, rainy and 5 others like this.
  20. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Helene, MeSci and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.