1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree, but it's probably inevitable. If people are trying to discuss a phenomenon that isn't easy to describe succinctly and then stumble across a word or phrase that really seems to nail it, they'll naturally tend to find themselves using it.

What irritates me isn't so much the adoption of useful terms, but the lack of acknowledgement of the source.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I find this use of the term 'appropriation' strange in this context, and don't blame people, struggling and very sick like us, for wanting to tell their stories in the media. It's not their fault pwME have been shamefully neglected, nor that terms and images used in ME/CFS are useful for them too. After all, it seems likely many using the terms like energy envelope and using battery analogies fit the ME/CFS diagnostic criteria too, so using images use in ME/CFS seems sensible. Whatever terms patients with any disease find useful seems legitimate to me.

However I am angry at doctors who persist in dismissing ME/CFS as irrelevant, and who suggest it's just fatigue and therefore different from the long Covid patients with PEM and other ME/CFS symptoms.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. Was trying to think how to say it but you nailed it Trish.

4. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. I’m not against the appropriation at all, I would only like that people with ME be acknowledged when these terms are used. On the other hand, it is likely that some people with Long Covid have heard about them second hand, so, setting aside the stigma of ME/CFS, I understand that the connection isn’t generally being made.

How the consequences of the historical framing of ME as chronic fatigue keep unfolding, this time separating LC from ME because the latter is not perceived as a multi systemic disease, is baffling.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This questionnaire actually looks useful and competent, including for ME.

Thread:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1363585050164551680

And this one also:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1363585112756150273

This kind of questionnaire was discussed a few times prior. Here as an example: https://www.s4me.info/threads/does-...tch-your-mecfs-level.16467/page-2#post-283092, discussion started about the SF-36 and how to make a better questionnaire.

Actually pertinent and competent questionnaires relevant to the reality of this illness and ask about symptoms >>>>...∞...>>>>>> generic BPS psychometric questionnaires of no relevance to the actual lived reality with zero concern for symptoms.

6. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It makes me sick to my stomach (figuratively). Seeing for example that Strain BBC interview where he’s saying the LC to ME distinction can be described by old battery analogy in LC and his blatant ignorance and arrogance (for not bothering to spend the effort to read up on ME/CFS or talk to ME clinicians enough to know anything about it) makes me feel so disappointed in the medical profession. ME has been using the old battery analogy since forever.

I see now that Strain understood the LC ME similarities better after S4ME members and others had a conversation with him on Twitter. But unfortunately so many people who watched that BBC piece will not see that he changed his mind and they will go on believing LC and ME are very distinct and that pwME don’t have the same old/broken battery feeling everyday.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  7. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

leokitten, Michelle, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  8. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I posted this on the thread "A nanoelectronics blood-based diagnostic marker for ME/CFS ....." as it clarifies a point we've been discussing but it belongs on this thread too.

It's a panel discussion with Ron Davis, Ami Mac & Michael Snyder titled "The Crisis: Post Covid Symptoms with Stanford University" that looks at many aspects of Long Covid & ME/CFS. Focus is ME research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_rR-3fyhk

Amw66, alktipping, Perrier and 7 others like this.
  9. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sent Edwards testimony to NICE to the Birmingham LongCovid research group.

Thanks very much Dr Beatty. My colleagues and I will review this document.

Kind regards,

Shamil

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

COVID-19: B.C. doctors seek to understand crushing fatigue months after recovery

https://vancouversun.com/health/loc...rstand-crushing-fatigue-months-after-recovery

MSEsperanza, Kitty, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

As I understood his response to @Robert 1973 rather than having his mind changed by anyone Dr Strain explained he already didn’t think GET appropriate for people with ME but had misheard the question from the interviewer

Kitty, Michelle, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Don't suffer in silence': Wigan long Covid sufferer urges people to get help
    “It’s like hitting a brick wall and I’m always tired and breathless.”

My bolding
    https://www.wigantoday.net/news/peo...vid-sufferer-urges-people-to-get-help-3142115

Dolphin, MSEsperanza, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad to know that :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Dolphin, Chezboo, Mij and 17 others like this.
  14. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, it can't.

Before 6 months it isn't (ME) by definition, so if it's only months then it ain't ME.

I'm fairly sure that more than six months would qualify as 'many months' :laugh:

15. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sweden currently doesn't have any compiled data on how many people are affected by long covid, and won't be able to get it unless data privacy regulations are changed.

A spokesperson for the Swedish association for doctors with long covid says their current estimation is that there are more than 100 000 long covid patients in Sweden.

https://tt.omni.se/oklart-hur-manga-som-har-langtidscovid/a/yROode
    https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/sv...en-att-utreda-hur-manga-som-har-langtidscovid

16. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, I've got the HDQ now. I did start filling in the form, but it asked about what my study would be, how it would be administered, etc, and I didn't want to claim I'm from NICE or conducting a study when I'm not. So thanks to those who found it.

17. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Milo

Hi guys,

i am looking for a quick reference as i am writing a letter to editor.

Would anybody know which paper states Long Covid rate was determined to be 30%?

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

leokitten, Dolphin, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  20. Milo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.