Open Medicine Foundation (OMF)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by DokaGirl, Sep 1, 2019.

1. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have mixed feeling on the OMF. I have so many questions - where is the metabolomics replication, why has the nanoneedle not been tested in other diseases, what progress has been made to uncover (something in the blood). I understand good science takes times, but many of the questions are going on half a decade funded by well over 10 million dollars.

I think we have gaslight ourselves to just be grateful for whatever we get, as long as it's not BPS. That's a terrible attitude for a community to have. I think the most recent Berquist paper funded by the OMF was of a very low quality, and I don't want to not say these things anymore. I think the metabolomics replication being obfuscated or whatever happened is very strange. I think 5 years you should be able to test 10 non-me/cfs sick people or narrow in what's in the blood. If it's nothing that's fine. But we need to know. What's taking the Harvard OMF 4 years to do anything?

But to solely blame the OMF is wrong. What on earth has Griffith University being doing with millions of dollars? Really, wtf. The NIH study was a scandal and they got away with just wishing it away to go study long covid. 5 years! Nothing substantial published. I think other countries have been even worse. Nath's 3-year cutoff was based of a weak from Columbia that was never replicated showing "immune exhaustion". How's Nath got away with that. Numerous other cytokine studies didn't replicate it.

We need to expect better from our me/cfs researchers, not just the OMF. I don't know how to do this in a healthy way, I don't want to feed the narrative of ungrateful me/cfs patients, but I'm actually considering taking a break from s4me because so much research (which is what I mostly read) isn't very interesting or good, or it takes too long. I read it and am desolated.

I'm sorry if me/cfs researchers read this and feel angry. Maybe I'm being unfair. I desperately want to believe. But has any progress been made in the last 5-7 years with tens of millions? idk

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    TrixieStix, Sid, Binkie4 and 23 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

We've just learned that Chief Medical Officer, Ronald G. Tompkins passed away.
    A new thread has been opened in his memory.

Hutan, Binkie4, Simon M and 8 others like this.
  3. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New OMF video published on YouTube: "What is ME/CFS?" (1 min 19 sec)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0B-Dvop5uU

(I can't help wondering how many healthies know what orthostatic intolerance and environmental factors mean in this context.)

cfsandmore and oldtimer like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The majority of health care workers don't know what OI is, let alone 'healthies'.

Milo, Trish, Perrier and 2 others like this.
  5. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No updates from OMF of late. Dr. Davis does have the microscope. No news.

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Announcement from OMF Feb 2022:
    https://www.omf.ngo/new-changes-announced-for-omf/

Continuing the Research:

New Changes for OMF Announced

In an effort to continue the tremendous legacy of OMF’s Late Chief Medical Officer, Ronald G. Tompkins, MD, ScD, we would like to share new developments with the community.

We are honored to announce that Jonas Bergquist, MD, PhD, has accepted the role of OMF Chief Medical Officer along with expanding his efforts in his role as Director of the OMF funded ME/CFS Collaboration at Uppsala University.

Additionally, we are excited to announce that David Systrom, MD will join Wenzhong Xiao, PhD, as a Co-Director of the newly named Ronald G. Tompkins Harvard ME/CFS Collaboration at the Harvard Affiliated Hospitals. Dr. Xiao will gratefully continue as the Director of the OMF Computational Research Center for Complex Diseases as well. We also welcome Dr. Systrom to our Scientific Advisory Board.​

About Jonas Bergquist, MD, PhD:

Dr. Jonas Bergquist is a Full Chair Professor in Analytical Chemistry and Neurochemistry in the Department of Chemistry at Uppsala University, Sweden, Adjunct Professor in Pathology at the University of Utah School of Medicine, and Distinguished Professor in Precision Medicine at Binzhou Medical University in Yantai, China.​

Dr. Bergquist has studied numerous conditions, including neurodegenerative disorders. His research into ME/CS is focused on characterizing the neuroimmunological aspects of the disease using proteomics and metabolomics, with a special interest in cerebrospinal fluid studies and autoantibodies.

In 2017, Jonas Bergquist joined OMF’s Scientific Advisory Board, and subsequently launched the OMF funded ME/CFS Collaboration at Uppsala University in 2019.

It's disappointing therefore to see this recent paper from Dr Bergquist, which references very poor research as it speculates about the causes of ME/CFS. We need our research leaders to think more critically than Bergquist appears to do in this paper.
    Perspective: Drawing on Findings From Critical Illness to Explain ME/CFS, 2022, Stanculescu, Bergquist

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from email

ahimsa, oldtimer, Aroa and 4 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    A history of neglect
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis and its relationship with medicine

By Christian Godbout

full article
    https://www.omf.ngo/christian-godbout-a-person-with-me-speaks-out-on-the-history-of-me-cfs/

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2022
    Ali, SNT Gatchaman, Kalliope and 12 others like this.
  9. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is great, thanks

MeSci and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Trish and cfsandmore like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This is from 2021 but we don't seem to have anything on it yet.

"You might remember last year OMF announced that we are working on an exciting new project to streamline the arduous diagnostic process for people living with chronic complex diseases.

The “Personalized Automated Symptom Summary – Computer Adaptive Test” (PASS/CAT) is a machine learning tool that will help patients more accurately and efficiently convey their symptoms to their treating physician.

What is the vision for how the PASS/CAT will be used by patients and doctors?

Since the assessment is computer-based, the physician can send a link to the patient for completion prior to their visit. The PASS/CAT physician report will quantify the level of the patient’s symptoms and summarize it in a symptom profile. Alternatively, a person with symptoms of chronic, complex diseases like ME/CFS will be able to go to Open Medicine Foundation’s website, complete the assessment and bring the report to their physician to review and discuss the results as a clinical test."

https://www.omf.ngo/transforming-the-diagnosis-of-complex-diseases/

12. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sounds like a v useful idea!

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Basically a way to turn the symptoms list patients bring into a format that will be accepted, rather than glanced then ignored?

Interesting. Could be very useful. Obviously one of the main obstacles to achieving any progress is that over 90% of the illness is simply ignored, information thrown out right at the first input as if of no relevance. I am convinced that not only would a symptoms-based approach to medicine be far more effective at making progress for ME, it could actually make progress in the biology of symptoms, which has almost seen zero actual progress.

I hope this is what I'm thinking it's describing. This could be transformative by sheer usefulness, if used properly anyway. But it's a big project.

bobbler and obeat like this.
  14. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
  15. Jaybee00

alktipping likes this.
  16. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm glad this distinction has been recognised - it certainly took larger, regular doses of Mestinon to improve my condition in a way I could readily observe.

Curious to see what comes next. Is there funding/interest to build upon these results, remove that acute dose limitation, show the efficacy in a larger RCT and hopefully get simple Mestinon into the hands of more patients? Or it more likely only going to potentially lead to a more targeted, novel drug test that promises very significant improvements?

janice, cfsandmore, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  17. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How much better are you with Medtinon?

janice and cfsandmore like this.
  18. Jaybee00

Transcript for Systrom https://www.omf.ngo/may-momentum-tuesdays-2022-interview-transcript-with-david-systrom-md/

The 8 million dollar trial

The other perspective, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial we have ongoing is an $8 million study of mitochondrial dysfunction at the Brigham of single site study funded by a Pharma company named Astellas from Japan. It is ME/CFS, but PASC was not excluded. We have already included some patients in the study who have long COVID. And it involves two very difficult to get needle muscle biopsies of the thigh frozen and sent appropriately to Baylor for evaluation of mitochondrial function. And I would emphasize that we take that approach in ME and PASC is very important again, because most of these patients don’t have genetic forms of mitochondrial myopathy. And the study is ongoing. It was powered by 40 patients. We enrolled 27 of the 40 over about six months, and we’re looking to complete this and run our stats on it. It involves two invasive cPETS at baseline and then at the end of six weeks of treatment with PPARD Delta modifier. It’s proprietary, but it’s thought to act favorably on fat metabolism by the Mitochondria. So we don’t know what patients have gotten yet, but stay tuned.

janice, mango, Ryan31337 and 3 others like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PASC is post-acute sequelae of COVID-19, according to a search. (Maybe it's well-known, but I'm somewhat dopy/thick at the moment!)

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's used in quite a few of the research papers we have threads on here, but I think most people suffering from symptoms prefer the term Long Covid.

janice and MeSci like this.