1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by DokaGirl, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Possibly James May

Possibly James May Established Member

@Andy,

If I’m not mistaken, if you’re donating online, you can write in the comment option “DONOR RESTRICTION: X CAUSE” and that should be enough to establish a basic legally enforceable contract that your donation goes to the fund of your choice. For extra assurance, if you are donating over $250, I'd recommend sending a check with a letter stating your donation is restricted to a certain purpose (sample template).

Kitty, sebaaa, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I do think that this sort of option should be easily selectable for anybody donating to OMF, given that OMF state that their mission covers not only ME / CFS but also "related chronic, complex diseases such as Post Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome (PTLDS), Fibromyalgia and Post COVID". All worthy of more funding but a donor that might want their donation to go towards one in particular might not appreciate that it might be used on something else.

alktipping, cfsandmore, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty likes this.
  4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Individual talks have been uploaded, list is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kN-Gt9WJp7pWZJn2oDUbA

Have listened to two:

Whenzhong Xiao talks about analysing some of Systrom's data which apparently has some nice separation between patients and controls and may point to skeletal muscle as a source of problems. Interesting enough talk but vague.

Christopher Armstrong talks about setting up longitudinal studies of adult and paediatric patients, with the intention of comparing individuals' better and worse periods. He also explains his nitrogen hypothesis in some detail. He's hoping to get a paper (presumably a hypothesis paper) published "soon". Very interesting and informative talk.

alktipping, Hutan, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  5. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1404584703789658117

From Janet Dafoe:

Unfortunately, the nano needle is stuck because Rahim [Esfandyarpour] is now an assistant professor at UC Irvine and has submitted three grants all of which have been turned down for ridiculous reasons. As soon as funding can be procured Ron [Davis] and Rahim will be on this immediately.
    I believe those were NIH grant applications.

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

OMF has funds to distribute to research, I thought. Does OMF also not think that funding the nano needle work is a priority?

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Perhaps OMF turned them down as well.

8. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I simply cannot square the claims that have been made about this technology with the reality that it is not been worked on.

9. Wilhelmina Jenkins

Wilhelmina Jenkins Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may have missed some things, but I thought that the nanoneedle was basically a device that takes measurements to improve diagnosis of ME/CFS. Maybe it is a gateway to better research, but is there more that I am missing?

sebaaa and alktipping like this.
  10. Hutan

A tool to make a quick and easy diagnosis would be an amazing thing, making it clear that there is a biological basis to the illness and helping to speed people who don't have ME/CFS on their way to their correct diagnosis. It would help research, by ensuring ME/CFS cohorts are 'pure', as well as suggesting something about the pathology. It could therefore contribute to finding treatments.

If there really is as much promise in the tool as the progress reports suggested, then OMF should have been bending over backwards to get it funded. If there isn't promise, then it's unfair to suggest that the lack of progress is because of NIH decisions.

11. Wilhelmina Jenkins

Wilhelmina Jenkins Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just checking - has it actually been shown to differentiate between people with ME/CFS and people with other diseases? If it is going to be used to provide a pure cohort, that is necessary. What I remember hearing is that the nanoneedle showed that pathology exists, but hasn’t been verified as identifying ME/CFS specifically. I could be behind on this. My impression was that this was what they were applying for grants to verify.

12. Hutan

I don't think we can say that anything at all has yet been shown about the nanoneedle, that's the problem, when put against the claims. I think you are right to point out that Davis's team has not, as far as I can remember, claimed it has differentiated people with ME from people with other illnesses. However, being able to differentiate between people with ME/CFS and healthy controls as was claimed would still be a major advance, and would still suggest something about pathology.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last I heard they could not do this because of how difficult it was to procure samples from patients with other diseases, that probably takes way more clout than an NGO can do, need institutional backing and preferably NIH support or at least a federal program.

Technically it's easy to do, this is purely a product of denial.

14. Possibly James May

Possibly James May Established Member

For anyone interested, here is the 2020 990 form.

Page 1 and 7 are a bit interesting. In summary, they pulled in $203k less in 2020 compared to 2019 while a pandemic was ravaging the globe that according to Dr. Davis 10 percent infected will see ME/CFS like symptoms. Linda T's salary went up 8k bringing her annual compensation up to $182,326. Chris Armstrong was added to the payroll as a medical researcher with the salary of $110,000. The Director of Communications position (personally I think was a colossal waste of money) of $156,076 was axed and replaced with the new position VP of Philanthropy with a salary of $150,000 (Return on investment will probably depend on the Davis/Dafoe family). Also, an interesting factoid, they have 136 volunteers. If you have any questions about the 990, feel free to post or dm me and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Sarah94 and Andy like this.
  15. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a lot of thoughts about this, but I don’t want to be too judgmental in public. So I will just say that the information above makes me less enthusiastic about donating.

oldtimer and Sarah94 like this.
  16. Jaybee00

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2021
    Wilhelmina Jenkins likes this.
  17. Jaybee00

Wilhelmina Jenkins, Ariel and Sarah94 like this.
  18. Jaybee00

If you are trying to insinuate that compensation is excessive, I will respectfully disagree.

19. Hutan

sebaaa, Possibly James May and Andy like this.
  20. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In terms of what they're bringing in, that's hardly surprising that it was less during 2020, I believe charities in general have struggled during the pandemic as people are more cautious financially and often have less money at their disposal due to furlough etc.

That... seems rather off re the salaries though. Concerning. Is it different for other ME charities / research groups?

Andy likes this.