1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Scotland

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, Fizzlou, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Highlands MSP calls for national guidelines on chronic fatigue syndrome

Highlands MSP calls for national guidelines on chronic fatigue syndrome (inverness-courier.co.uk)

Hutan, Kalliope, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A nice podcast from Nature Scot linked on the birds thread. Anna Wood was a very good spokesperson for ME/CFS. Not that ME/CFS was the focus of the podcast, quite the contrary, it's mostly about birds and nature photography.
    Feathered Friends - birds and bird-watching

It just sort of normalised the illness. I wish BPS proponents would listen to that podcast - Anna Wood is a person making the best of a very difficult illness.

shak8, RedFox, Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2023
    Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  7. Hutan

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and Sean like this.
  8. Hutan

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and Sean like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Question reference: S6W-15392
    • Asked by: Mark Ruskell, MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife, Scottish Green Party
    • Date lodged: 27 February 2023
    • Current status: Answered by Humza Yousaf on 13 March 2023
    Question
    To ask the Scottish Government how much of the announced £170 million for multi-disciplinary teams in NHS Scotland will be dedicated towards supporting people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Answer
    We are providing £170m to support the delivery of extended multidisciplinary teams (MDTs) making it easier for patients to see the right person, at the right time, in GP practices and the community.

Whilst the fund does not have direct provision to support living with myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), the reforms are focused on strengthening the whole general practice team for the benefit of all patients.

We have recruited 3,220 whole time equivalent (WTE) healthcare professionals, such as pharmacists, mental health workers and physiotherapists, into these MDTS. This is helping to refocus the role of the GP on patients with more complex conditions, in turn improving patient outcomes, community health and practice sustainability.

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and Trish like this.
  10. kilfinnan

kilfinnan Established Member (Voting Rights)

An article from the Police magazine regarding LC and the impact.

https://1919magazine.co.uk/march2023/?i=3

Last nights lead story on BBC was about LC.

There does seem to be people in Scotland wanting action. However, the problem might not be the political or cultural will but what actually happens when money or resources reach NHS Scotland.

11. Sly Saint

only today came across this rapid response
    Graded exercise therapy (GET) for people with chronic fatigue syndrome / myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME)

https://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/evidence/rapid_response/rapid_response_02-20.aspx

a section where they discuss the Cochrane review.
    @Caroline Struthers

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

negotiated

In the same kind of way that you can negotiate with gravity or oxygen.

mango, ahimsa, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post copied from LC in the media

Urgent action needed to tackle stigma around long Covid, report warns

An inquiry from the Covid-19 Recovery Committee outlined a raft of measures to raise awareness surrounding the condition

Ministers have been urged to establish a single point of contact for long Covid sufferers in every health board after a report called for an “urgent” end to the stigma surrounding the illness.

It comes after the Covid-19 Recovery Committee published its report on the illness, outlining a raft of measures for the Scottish Government to improve the condition and raise the awareness of it among healthcare professionals.

Hearing from from academics, clinicians and those living with long Covid, committee members noted “concern” as patients reported being unable to receive a correct diagnosis or proper treatment.

An estimated 172,000 people in Scotland have self-reported the condition, with an estimated 1.9m across the UK.

The four-month inquiry, launched in January, focused on awareness, recognition, therapy and rehabilitation.

It has led to a number of recommendations, including a single point of contact for long Covid in every health board and a public health campaign to raise awareness of the impact the condition can have on sufferers.

Jim Fairlie, committee convener, also said he was “deeply saddened” to learn of the stigma facing those with the debilitating condition.

He said: “The report sets out the urgent need for the Scottish Government to take action to address the stigma and lack of awareness surrounding long Covid and to improve the diagnosis and treatment for individuals living with this condition.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/urgent...kle-stigma-around-long-covid-ministers-warned

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  14. Amw66

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The report is long and detailed - 85 pages.
    https://t.co/rhsrU3WcDd
    It includes sections on
    Awareness and recognition - including a section on stigma with quotes from pwLC and a note about similar stigma for pwME. Stigma was described from both clinicians and the general public. Also sections within this on medical education and access to benefits.
    Therapy and rehabilitation
    I haven't read this section
    Study and Research

16. Sly Saint

ME in Scotland: 'I've battled ME my entire adult life - the help is still not there'

full article
    https://news.stv.tv/scotland/me-in-...ic-fatigue-condition-left-with-little-support

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2023
    Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Sean and 2 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

18. Sly Saint

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Services in Scotland: Findings from an analysis of surveys issued to NHS Boards in Autumn 2022
    Published 16 May 2023

This report analyses survey responses from ten NHS Health Boards in Scotland to understand delivery of ME/CFS services, implementation of the updated ME/CFS NICE guidelines, barriers and opportunities to implementing the guidelines, and options for future ME/CFS service development.

disappointing start with the 'extreme tiredness' being the first symptom and linking to the NHS UK site.

PEM seems to be optional ('other symptoms may include').

https://www.gov.scot/publications/m...urveys-issued-nhs-boards-autumn-2022/pages/3/

I hope #MEAction Scotland are on this.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    Starlight, RedFox, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  19. Hutan

20. Hutan