1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Scotland

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Scottish Health Department has posted an interim statement advising caution over the suitability of Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) in treating ME/CFS and has reiterated the earlier statement from NICE cautioning against use of GET in Post/Long-Covid.

Following a review of the evidence behind existing recommendations of GET as a suitable therapeutic treatment for ME/CFS, Health Improvement Scotland’s Health Technologies Group produced a rapid response in August reporting the conflicting reports of effectiveness for GET.

This has now been released in tandem with an update to the webpage for the Scottish Good Practice Statement on ME/CFS.

https://meassociation.org.uk/2020/1...d-exercise-therapy-in-me-cfs-post-long-covid/

Cheshire, Wyva, ahimsa and 36 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very muted but still a positive that should influence the NICE committee and Cochrane review.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2020
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

#MEAction Scotland has published an article on February 5th 2021 headed:

Latest report shows people with ME have been failed by Scottish Government

https://www.meaction.net/2021/02/05...vernment/?mc_cid=21f9fe9763&mc_eid=83ddbd3a71

Kirsten, Dolphin, MEMarge and 21 others like this.
  4. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The Scottish Government has said it must not wait to address the needs of the ME community, but its latest report indicates that this is precisely what it has done and continues to do."

Heh, sounds like the Scottish government is exactly like every other government when it comes to ME :geek:

Hutan, Dolphin, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Governments have a sense of urgency about some things; however not ME!

I wonder what governments' definition of "Must not wait", actually is.

6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is complicated by the fact that Action for ME is the go to organisation. Sharpe being based at Edinburgh and leaving at least one acolyte, Jon Stone of FND fame, in place may be a factor too.

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't forget Prof Carson a psych also based in Edinburgh.

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New support for professionals on M.E./CFS and managing Long Covid symptoms

full article here:
    https://nen.press/2021/02/08/new-su...-on-m-e-cfs-and-managing-long-covid-symptoms/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    alktipping, Hutan, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  9. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Scottish Government Issue Caution for Graded Exercise Therapy in ME/CFS & Post/Long-Covid

Thread there.

10. Sly Saint

23rd February 2021.
    Willie Coffey Scottish National Party

Can patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis, which is otherwise known as ME or chronic fatigue syndrome, be included with those at the highest clinical risk on our shielding list?

The First Minister:

I will double-check that, because I do not want to give wrong information in response to Willie Coffey’s question. I assume that patients with ME are in the group 6 category, which is the group that is starting to be vaccinated now, but I will double-check that and get back to Willie Coffey if that is not correct.

11. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i have had multiple invitations to be vaccinated but am to unwell to travel to the nearest centre . so in liverpool at least we seem to be in the at severe risk group .

Kitty, merylg, cfsandmore and 2 others like this.
  12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In England it seems to vary from GP to GP as to whether people with ME/CFS are classified in Group 6 or not. Group 6 includes those with long term health issues many of which are specifically named. Group 6 is prioritised after people aged over 70 and before those age over 65? The guidelines do not specifically name ME/CFS, but do say people with long term Neurological conditions should be considered for inclusion on the basis of a clinical judgement as to their risk. Representation from the ME Association has failed to persuade the English Chief Medical Officer to include ME/CFS as a specifically named condition, with him responding that GPs need to decide on individual cases. (See https://meassociation.org.uk/2021/02/latest-covid-19-me-cfs-and-the-jcvi-priority-vaccination-list/ )

The ME Association has provided a draft letter for people to use asking their GPs to include them in group 6. Judging by comments on the ME social media pages this seems to work for a lot of people that use it, certainly sending a copy to my GP got me bumped up from Group 8 to Group 6, though it probably just means I am getting my first injection two or three weeks sooner than I would have just on the basis of my age. (Because the UK is leaving a gap of 12 weeks or more between the two vaccination injections, I thought it was worth getting bumped up because various other groups are now also being given higher priority and we don’t have any certainty as to what vaccine supplies will be like in three months time.) If you know anyone in the UK with ME/CFS that has not yet been invited for their vaccination, it is worth suggesting they contact their GP and pointing them to the ME Association web page, as Group 6 are being given their first injection now. [Added - this is particularly important for younger people as it could be six months or more before they get vaccinated on the basis of age alone. ]

From the ME Association social media comments and local group pages not all GPs are agreeing to include us in Group 6, though the reasons they give for not doing so are often based on a misunderstanding of the guidelines or the process rather than any clinical grounds. A small minority of those refusing to include ME/CFS in Group 6 do with the assertion that it is a psychological condition so at no higher risk than the general population.

In Wales and also I think Northern Ireland the guidelines have been altered so that people with ME will automatically be included in Group 6, which also in effect was the question above put to the Scottish First Minister. [Added - However, given potential problems with recording of ME/CFS in medical records in the UK, even in Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland it is probably worth checking what priority group you have been assigned to.]

Do we know anything about ME/CFS priority in vaccination roll outs in other countries?

[corrected typos and a couple of indicated additions.]

[added - the statement about Wales automatically including ME in group 6 is inaccurate, it is only one Welsh Health Board, see my more recent comment below.]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  13. Peter Trewhitt

Here in rural Derbyshire and in North Staffordshire provision has been made through local GP practices for people unable to attend the centres to be vaccinated at home. This is being organised at a very local level by GPs not the large NHS directly run regional centres. So @alktipping it might be worth contacting your GP practice to discuss a home visit.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://twitter.com/actionforme/status/1366320024072433667

alktipping, cfsandmore, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  15. Peter Trewhitt

Apologies, I had misread information from the MEA and it was only one Welsh Health Board so far that supports automatic inclusion of ME in the at risk Group 6

see https://meassociation.org.uk/2021/0...-actions-in-england-wales-and-scotland/#Wales

16. kilfinnan

kilfinnan Established Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Nina Muirhead's educational modules went live on the NHS D & G system yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2021
    Shinygleamy, Kirsten, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NHS Dumfries & Galloway? https://www.nhsdg.co.uk/

I couldn't find the educational modules you refer to. Do you have a link? A search of the site came back with zero results for "moorhead"

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  18. kilfinnan

kilfinnan Established Member (Voting Rights)

No I don't. It appeared on their internal notices yesterday. Sent to all D & G healthcare professionals.

As a matter of interest. GP's get these notices.

They will scroll through. Would they open and go through modules like these as a matter of course. Or would they pick and mix by personal interest? NICE notices appear here but they'd be a bit different.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Shinygleamy, Amw66 and NelliePledge like this.
  19. Sly Saint

‘Stigmatised and ignored’: Campaigners call on government for urgent help for patients with chronic illness

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...rgent-help-for-patients-with-chronic-illness/

alktipping, Hutan, Kirsten and 5 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint