1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These people really are at the minimum of the Uncanny Valley function.

DokaGirl, Philipp and ScottTriGuy like this.
  2. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Sarah. I don't have any evidence for that statement it was just a feeling.

I don't know the first thing about Ross River virus so let's exclude that, but with EBV and Q-fever, these are well know to cause prolonged post-infectious fatigue, and in my mind I was hoping the health outcomes of Covid-19 would be more similar to known common respiratory infections like flu or the common coronaviruses. But learning about the relatively high incidence of post viral symptoms following SARS and MERS is more concerning, though, as you've pointed out, it seems to correlate with the severity of the initial infection, and Covid-19 is less severe than it's cousins.

3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They referred to her as a "veteran GP", I think that just means she's been a GP for a long time.

4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure quite how to take it - it struck me as an unusual way to describe a doctor. It certainly makes her out to be more than an average GP, especially as the sentence was using the battle term 'beat' to describe her experience with the coronavirus, as if she is some kind of hero with a special fighting spirit that should inspire us all.

It's probably an intentional choice of word, the Sun knows how to write propaganda well.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    JemPD, JaneL, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. Me too, murder as we didn't get on! Plus the whole family shared one bathroom, that kinda makes it tricky too.

Some people have no idea just how privileged they are.

alktipping, JaneL, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  6. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was interesting to hear Koroshetz and Breen acknowledge yesterday on the NIH teleconference call that a portion of those who get COVID19 will end up with ME.
    This future number of people with post-infectious onset seems like an opportunity (sad to say) to get additional participants for the NIH clinical study.
    I wonder if NIH could publicize the need for studying them..... (I DO dream, don't I?)

alktipping, JaneL, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  7. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was that recorded, per chance? I'd like to hear that bit.

JaneL, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess this is just an N=1 anecdote, but a couple of years ago I decided to try to look into the 1983 US flu season, the time at which I developed "the worst flu of my life," which was closely followed on by my onset of ME.

I believe the Dubbo study relied on subjective patient assessments of the severity of their flu symptoms in order to correlate them with the onset of ME in specific patients.

Another way of measuring the severity of a particular circulating infection on the broader population might be to measure the number of deaths it is causing relative to what is expected.

I found the chart below in the CDC's Weekly Morbidity Mortality Report [WMMR] for 7/29/1983. It covers flu / pneumonia deaths between late 1980 and the spring / summer of 1983 when I became ill.

More deaths might just mean more cases, but I believe the chart takes that into account by showing the expected number of deaths given the number of cases.

Another possible explanation for increased deaths might be that the flu strain had become more severe / lethal. The CDC didn't know what the explanation was, at least not back in 1983.

I have added colored annotations to the chart below.

The blue box outlines a period when the OBSERVED flu / pneumonia deaths (purple arrow) not only exceeded the EXPECTED deaths (blue arrow), but also well exceeded the THRESHOLD below which the increase might just have been a random variation (green arrow).

The red vertical line on the RIGHT indicates the date I came down with "the worst flu of my life." The green vertical line next to it indicates the date I mark as the onset of ME, some three weeks later.

The other red line on the LEFT indicates when I got the second worst flu of my life, in December 1980, about the date John Lennon died. There was an enormous spike in unexpected flu/pneumonia deaths in that epidemic as well.

Needless to say, I think that there probably is something to the idea that the severity of the infection has something to do with the triggering of ME, but, that's no doubt prejudiced by my N=1 experience.

Flu Deaths1980-1983 chart.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    JaneL, MEMarge, WillowJ and 5 others like this.
  9. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, 6 of us and one small bathroom and only the single toilet in an 'open plan' 70's new build house. For a lot of the 70's, 80's and 90's most 3 bedroom houses in the UK were built this way, older council houses used to have an additional downstairs toilet (as mine does). They've started building new builds this way again, sometimes even with 2 bathrooms, but that is still very middle class.

10. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a quote for the record books.
    Yes, the call recording and transcript are usually posted within 2 weeks on this page https://www.nih.gov/mecfs/events

alktipping, JaneL, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  11. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Established Member (Voting Rights)

After a long term followup 4 years later:
    • 40% of SARS-CoV (2002 epidemic) survivors still reported Chronic Fatigue
    • 27% of SARS-CoV (2002 epidemic) survivors met CDC critera for ME/CFS
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20008700/

JaneL, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged
    Blog: Listen Up: Chronically Ill People Know What We’re Talking About When it Comes to COVID-19 Friday, March 20, 2020'

https://rootedinrights.org/listen-u...were-talking-about-when-it-comes-to-covid-19/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2020
    DokaGirl, Yessica, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  13. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Posts moved from Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

I’ve just read Phil Hammond’s M.D. column in Private Eye (free to read):
    https://www.private-eye.co.uk/issue-1518/news

In the column he repeats the assertion he made on BBC BH:
    I would be very interested to see the evidence he is referring to.

There doesn’t seem to a date on his column but the data he refers to is from 15 March.

Although he never pulls his punches when criticising government’s treatment of the NHS, with other subjects he seems to be more of a calculated fence-sitter. I read the article twice and still wasn’t quite sure what point he was trying to make other than that he doesn’t seem to be too bothered about older people dying, and that we should all be less worried.

His prescription for Covid-19 is as follows:
    Dr Hammond is rightly critical of nonsense new age supplements. Do we know if he promotes The Lightning Process at his CFS clinic? I wonder if he’s read Phil Parker’s advice on Covid-19 in The Sun. Maybe if you believe that pretend pills will protect you from covid-19 then that will make you less anxious, which would then reduce your risk of developing ME/CFS (or is it just post-viral fatigue?)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020
  14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was the foundation of the BPS entry into ME quoting the Imboden, Canter Cluff papers on chronic brucellosis from 1959 and Asian flu from 1961 and 1965. The "science" looks wholly dubious. That seems to have been the great rediscovery of 1987, but just who rediscovered the papers is as yet a mystery.

15. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great. Another self-fulfilling prophecy. So if there is an increase in ME-like cases after the epidemic, they can simply blame it all on the *fear* of the epidemic and not the virus itself. :sigh:

Joh, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 31 others like this.
  16. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite, in a way they have to do that don't they otherwise you'd have the legitimately physically ill patients who developed ME/CFS following the conoravirus, so they would be medically/socially/ benefit-wise acceptable while the rest of us would still be viewed as BPS cases, they might then find that a bit difficult to sustain, so if come out now with blaming the patients then that dichotomy is solved plus you already have the BPS model of treatments ready and waiting to go, no need for any expensive research for these new cases, just give them CBT/GET or LP, all solved at minimal cost tot he state/NHS and insurance companies.

17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The fact that he mentions the thing about fear being relevant in the inevitable surge of post-viral cases makes it clear his opinion on the topic is useless and best ignored. Unfortunately on this topic, it comes with dogmatic confidence and, here, a highly visible platform. Not exactly ideal when the self-proclaimed "experts" on a topic are pulling their advice straight out of their portable sewer system.

I assume we'll see plenty of Wessely on the topic for a while. Until the scam is revealed for what it is, but who knows how long that will take?

18. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If Dr Phil is so confident that "fear" is a predictive factor for illness severity or for long term effects perhaps he'd like to put his money where his mouth is and go work in his local A&E for the duration.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1243600474194010116

(hmm says a man who works for EC)

JaneL, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 9 others like this.
  20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Norwegian Institute of Public Health launched an online form March 22nd where people could report whether they suspected they'd been infected by the virus.

Anyone who's had symptoms as cough, breathing difficulties, fever etc from March 15th and onwards are asked to fill out the form.
    So far 23 631 people have reported of symptoms, according to the Institute of Public Health's report of yesterday.

Here are some of the results thus far (my bold):
    • 59% are women and 41% men
    • Mean age is 37 years for both women and men
    • 25% had been in touch with a medical doctor
    • 2% had been tested for Corona virus
    • 45% had fever
    • 49% reports of being more tired than usual
      answer options were:
      as usual
      more tired than usual, but mostly up and about
      need a lot of rest but am sometimes up and about
      is bed bound and in need of some help
      is bed bound and in need of a lot of help
    I realise it's still early days and that this might not tell us a lot as for now.

Selvrapportering av symptomer som kan være covid-19
    google translation: Self-report of symptoms that may be covid-19

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.