1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actometers, 2 day CPET, and even work participation statistics come to mind. They had one of those and it failed to show improvement, and one more that they dropped (actometers), and the other predates the start of the PACE trial. Indeed CPET is a 1949 technology, though the repeat protocol was only formalised in 2007.

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

They don't measure the underlying condition but the effects of the condition on activity. (Not sure about the CPET one but more validation is probably needed).

4. alex3619

Correct, kind of, but they are still objective measures that can show improvement. CPET does measure a component of the underlying condition with the repeat protocol. In terms of underlying causation we have no tests that are validated because we do not understand the cause.

5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to clarify, by "underlying condition", I meant the condition/illness of ME/CFS, and not their made-up perpetuating factors, and not the causes. They did have proxys for the condition, albeit not very good ones. They had employment status, employment days lost; they had the step test, the 6mWT, although those measures are susceptible to cognitive bias if pts are pushed to do well despite their condition.

6. alex3619

They used the wrong protocol for that test, which has a known bias. As always the known bias is in favour of their hypothesis. Funny its never the other way around.

Woolie, Jan, JaimeS and 13 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sharpe's latest excuses from the recent BBC News article about the Parliamentary debate.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44568847

Simone, MEMarge, Jan and 16 others like this.
  8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is not clear from the report when Sharpe is alleged to have said that. Do we know?

9. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pity no mention of PACE flaws, but still I think enough to help those new to MEbe cautious about GET

Jan, JaimeS, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  10. Nathalie Wright

Nathalie Wright Established Member (Voting Rights)

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I know no more than what is said in that article. The assumption would be that it's a new quote, obtained for that specific article, but it would be just that, an assumption.

The article author is on Twitter, if anybody wants to ask that way.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1011206053458075649

12. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2kidswithME, Jan, JaimeS and 26 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Simone, MEMarge, Jan and 19 others like this.
  14. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apart from Tom's studies (below) [which document indirect harm], do we still not have any direct accounts of harm from the trial itself that we can point to?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1011227722616659968

Simone, Jan, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

See a lot of people on social media saying theyve been harmed by GET I believe a couple Ive seen also said they were in the trial. Dr Myhill's 210 supporting complaints to GMC presumably includes some trial participants but we dont have the info on those individual complaints, maybe Craig Robinson from Dr Ms team would be able to provide more information on that and whether they have any plans to publicise individual experiences of trial participants.

16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you believe it? Somewhere there is a department, with a budget, tasked with sorting and evaluating all these claims. Does it remind you of those primary school assemblies attended, when all gain certificates?

EDit a lot has intervened between this and the post which I was responding to which was that about the Platinum Award from ACCEA.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  17. Matt (@DondochakkaB)

Matt (@DondochakkaB) Established Member (Voting Rights)

I think it can be argued (by someone smarter than me), that if patient trust is high, they may be unaware of harm. So the ability to say there was no harm is not a statement that can be made with confidence. There may be some first hand documents of harm submitted to Myhill's GMC case against PACE. If so, I wonder if they will be available publicly once details of the GMC case are published.

Simone, 2kidswithME, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

???

alktipping and Inara like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

didn't Carol Monaghan quote from one participant of the PACE trial (re harms)?

eta:
    "
    One participant in the original trial said:

“After repeatedly being asked how severe...my symptoms were. ..I started to feel like I had to put a...positive spin on my...answers. I could not be honest about just how bad it was, as that would...tell the doctors I wasn’t trying and I wasn’t being positive enough.”

"

mind you there would be one way to find out; do the 5 year follow up and ask
    "following participation in the PACE trial did your condition get worse" but ofcourse they would never do it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Simone, MEMarge, Jan and 10 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just looked up the link to the award mentioned here. There are hundreds of awards to doctors, ranging through bronze, silver, gold to platinum at the pinnacle.
    Here's the whole of the Michael Sharpe page:
    (my bold).

So there we have it - in his own words. PACE was a study of CFS/ME, not CFS as he's now claiming, and it influenced NICE and worldwide guidelines. He can't deny it.

Simone, MEMarge, Jan and 30 others like this.