1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME Association: Forward ME and Oxford Brookes University Announce Results of Patient Survey on CBT and GET in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Eagles, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Association: Forward ME and Oxford Brookes University Announce Results of Patient Survey on CBT and GET in ME/CFS | 03 April 2019

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...urvey-on-cbt-and-get-in-me-cfs-03-april-2019/

Lady Margaret Mar, Chair, Forward ME.

We are pleased to be able to let you see the results of the recent survey conducted on behalf of Forward-ME.

All the raw data was analysed and inserted into a comprehensive report by Professor Helen Dawes and Her team at Oxford Brookes University...

---------------

The conclusion includes –

“The results show clearly that cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy are unsuitable treatments or management approaches for ME/CFS. The changes in severity and the worsening of symptoms are clear indications that the therapies being offered are having adverse effects on the health of individuals.”

ukxmrv, Binkie4, Dolphin and 32 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

3. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

#MEAction UK post with FMG statement: https://www.meaction.net/2019/04/03/cbt-and-get-survey-results-published-by-forward-me-group/

We also wrote our own summary here in a hopefully slightly easier to read format: https://www.meaction.net/2019/04/03/get-and-cbt-are-not-safe-for-me-summary-of-survey-results/

ukxmrv, Dolphin, MeSci and 22 others like this.
  4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How will this be more influential than previous charity patient surveys on GET?

Dolphin, Wonko, andypants and 2 others like this.
  5. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It won't have any influence. The only thing that can be said about it is it's on record.

Wonko, Inara and MEMarge like this.
  6. Gecko

Our take at #MEAction UK:
    Read the discussion section of our article for more. It's up to date data that the NICE ctte chair person specifically asked for. Maybe not more influential, but it comes at a pivotal time and strongly reinforces previous surveys.

Also whilst not surprising for most of us here, I do still think the results are pretty shocking.
    This I found particularly sad and angering:
    [​IMG]

lunarainbows, Hutan, Dolphin and 23 others like this.
  7. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

The survey was initiated at NICE demand so I guess they can't totally ignore it.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/forward-me-group-minutes-–-21st-november-2018.7575/#post-134680

It's been done by an academic. So maybe, it will have more weight.

Edit: crosspost with Gecko

Dolphin, MeSci, TiredSam and 19 others like this.
  8. Gecko

Since I'm sure there's quite a few others on here who enjoy playing around with numbers, I'm attaching the appendices from the Oxford Brookes report in an excel spreadsheet. Data is just copied and pasted across from the PDF of appendices, but no point others spending time and energy doing that when I've already done it myself.

Attached Files:

Dolphin, Graham, 2kidswithME and 14 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is the distinction between "CBT with GET combined" versus "GET combined with CBT". They clearly are different given the results, yet my alarm bell rings when I see that in both cases the number of people offered a course was 943, which seems to be an amazing coincidence. What am I missing? Or could there be a misprint?

Edit: I realise that the numbers mean that in both cases they must be the same cohort of 943 people. So now I'm still confused but differently! How can the same cohort fulfil analyses of two different treatment variants that deliver very different results?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Sarah94, Dolphin, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good results to take to UCL appointment in May for teen with ME, who is being threatened with discharge if she refuses to undertake their GET/CBT regime.

Binkie4, Dolphin, MeSci and 23 others like this.
  11. Barry

Answering my own question, though it still leaves a question or two unanswered.

Looking at the full report, it clarifies that for the cohort of 943, who had courses of both CBT and GET, they were asked to report separately on the CBT component (reported as "CBT with GET combined") and the GET component (reported as "GET combined with CBT"). My first thought was that that might be incredibly hard to discriminate in some cases, especially where symptoms are delayed; I think that is going to be true. My second thought was that for purposes of this survey it probably makes little odds, given the results are so consistently bad in both cases.

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

think the key point is the previous surveys by AFME and MEA were getting long in the tooth so presumably a fresh take was wanted to show if the concerns highlighted in those surveys continued to apply to the approach currently being delivered by the NHS. Which it does.

Dolphin, MEMarge, andypants and 9 others like this.
  13. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this was a drug it'd be on the front page of newspapers tomorrow. It won't be in the papers at all, of course. We live in a crazy world.

14. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that actually in the document? They seem to have left an "un" off the front.

MeSci, Joel, andypants and 6 others like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, well spotted I just copied and pasted it from the MEA site

MeSci, Esther12, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  16. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can someone let them know?

Esther12 likes this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Binkie4, Dolphin, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  18. Barry

Dolphin, MeSci, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  19. Barry

20. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)