1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

DecodeME - UK ME/CFS DNA study underway

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Simply, yes. I can't really add anything to the answer in our FAQ, that the decision was taken in order to give us the best chance of achieving the goals of the study, and that the decision was supported by the PPI Steering Group.

2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks but don't want to provide the email address I registered with.

But if I haven't got a message yet, I suspect others won't have - might be worth checking if a chunk of people have been missed off.

Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had mine. For some reason I didn't receive the last one, so signed up again as instructed.

Invisible Woman, Sasha and Andy like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just a note that I'm happy to enquire for anybody who hasn't received an email, however, sometimes the answer will be that there is no explanation of why you haven't received it. Efforts are made by email providers to limit the amount of spam that you receive, and sometimes they decide incorrectly that emails from contact lists such as ours are spam and block them even before they get to your computer. If this is the case then, typically, all we will be able to tell you is that the email was sent.

5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Emails can bounce from time to time - they may have a log of any bounces which could be resent. There can also be delays in the system sometimes I wonder if bulk emails get delayed.

One of the things I have noticed here is that one ISP bounces a lot of emails from us. Other bounces seem to be occational. So it could be one particular email provider.

@Sasha would you mind saying who your email provider is (e.g. gmail or BT, outlook, etc) as it may be useful to see if others using the same provider have got an email.

6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great, thanks, thats good enough for me :)

7. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's TalkTalk.

Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  8. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Luis Nacul was co-principle investigator. Does this mean Chris Ponting is now sole principle investigator? That would make sense given Nacul moved to Canada and is no longer based at CureME Biobank.

Also, I believe at the beginning there was talk that the Cure ME team may be involved in validating a percentage of questionnaires to confirm diagnosis. What was the outcome of that?

I personally like one center responsible and doing the management as that means clear ownership of the project. Good luck.

Michelle, Sarah94, Andy and 2 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Luis Nacul is still very much part of the LSHTM Unit as I understand it.
    However, it seems that the original collaborative plan did not prove workable.
    I don't think going over the reasons would help anyone.
    The important things are that the project is going ahead and both units deserve full patient support for future work.

10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy - I don't have an email either. Am using microsoft outlook.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    MEMarge, Andy and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thanks. Please either send me an email at andy@s4me.info or just tell me here the last part of your email address (i.e. @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc).

MEMarge, Kitty and Binkie4 like this.
  12. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@hotmail.com

thanks.

MEMarge, Kitty and Andy like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes, that's correct.

That didn't make it into the accepted application.

MEMarge, Kitty, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  14. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know when they are due to start requesting samples? OK it may be difficult to be definitive i.e. due the pandemic.

Kitty, Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From https://www.decodeme.org.uk/faqs/#latest-updates

16. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I trust Chris Ponting, he seems to have our interests at heart but the move to the University of Edinburgh worries me as it was the home to Michael Sharpe and still harbours Jon Stone. Their views are very pervasive.

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Universities are huge institutions. The bad actions of people in one department should not reflect on the good work of others. I'm not at all worried about Sharpe and Stone's association with Edinburgh University. They are irrelevant.

MEMarge, Dolphin, Mithriel and 11 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just to confirm this, Wikipedia reports that Edinburgh University has 4589 academic staff and 6107 administrative staff.

MEMarge, Dolphin, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  19. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy
    Me too, @mac.com
    Thanks

MEMarge and Andy like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Feedback from our communications team regarding non-delivery of emails.

"According to the report on the [latest] email, we're not facing any delivery issues relating to a particular email provider like we faced last time with btinternet. Hotmail.com addresses (3,014 contact) have an overall bounce rate of 0.13% [so 4 emails] and hotmail.co.uk addresses (2,154 contacts) have an overall bounce rate of 0.05% [so 1 email]. We don't have enough sign-ups with talktalk addresses to provide specific info on them but the 'other' section isn't notably high on bounce rates either.

What I've found so far when people have come directly to us to ask why they've not received emails is that the 2 most common reasons have been either 1) the typed their email in incorrectly, or 2) they didn't opt-in to emails when they registered their interest in the project.

I'd suggest to the people on the forum to contact info@decodeme.org.uk and I'll check their emails."

ETA: Corrected the number of emails, because math is hard (apparently).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    MEMarge, Kitty, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.