1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

DecodeME - UK ME/CFS DNA study underway

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No email.

MeSci, Kitty and Andy like this.
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No email so reregistered with link provided by Andy. Two emails within a minute with links to info about study but no link to a survey.

MeSci, Kitty, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Was this an additional email to the two welcoming you to the study?

Kitty likes this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't receive anything (I have been checking the spam folder), so just subscribed again. Two identical emails welcoming me, but nothing yet about the survey.

Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 14.40.39.png

Binkie4, Trish and Andy like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No - same one.

Kitty and Andy like this.
  6. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too.

Kitty and Andy like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

One of the requests I've made of the comms team is that they push out the email with the link to the survey to all people who have signed up since it was sent originally, which should catch everybody who are signing back up.

I received the original survey email and out of interest I attempted to sign-up again using the same email address to see what would happen. Interestingly, it behaved in the same way that everybody above is describing, thanking me for signing up and sending me two "welcome" emails. I'll feed this back to the comms team as well, as it does cast some doubt on whether the issue is with our email system or with the emails being caught incorrectly by spam filters.

If there is anybody who has recently signed-up for a second time and is willing to share the email address they used with me, it would help our investigations. Either PM me via the forum messaging system or send me an email to andy@s4me.info.

8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for receiving and sharing the feedback @Andy. Nothing is ever perfect, and if it’s the only problem this team is encountering, it will just be peachy!

Sasha, Invisible Woman, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  9. andymick

andymick New Member

It would be very helpful if there was a way (a "My Account" sort of thing) where we could check whether we had signed up. I believe I have signed up twice and still have had no direct communication from these folks - they're beginning to look rather shambolic, and I for one am losing confidence in them.

Kitty likes this.
  10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @andymick and welcome.

These communication problems are disappointing, but I think we should remember that this project has only begun to be funded since September, so I should imagine that there is a great deal to sort out, including employing relevant staff etc.

So much has been done so far by volunteers, including those who are ill with ME or carers. Additionally, charity income has dropped across the board and those involved are likely to have had their resources squeezed at a time when enquiries and demand has risen.

The start of the "collection of samples phase" is next March, which gives plenty of time for teething troubles with registration etc to get sorted.

NelliePledge, ahimsa, Milo and 4 others like this.
  11. Kitty

Have emailed you, @Andy.

MeSci, Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Interim update. All those of you who had issues and gave me your email address are definitely in the DecodeME contact database. The team are currently trying to determine if there is any reason on our side of things why you wouldn't have received the email and I'll come back in due course on that.

Sasha, Michelle, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://twitter.com/DecodeMEstudy/status/1314207697684717569
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1314207697684717569

Obviously the update above doesn't explain why those who contacted me with other than btinternet accounts didn't receive the latest update, I hope to provide a further update there.

For those based in the UK and who haven't completed the survey yet for whatever reason, here is the link, https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/S9ZKWYH

sebaaa, Sasha, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Does this mean people with btinternet addresses should have received the emails about the survey now? I still haven't.

15. Kitty

Just for info, several local groups that I belong to have trouble with BT internet addresses – it seems to be a particular issue with mailing lists.

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Honestly, I'm uncertain of the protocol that the comms team uses, it might be that they can't, or won't, make an attempt to re-send - again that is something that I will try to clarify. In the meantime, use the link above to take part, the email contains nothing else of note.

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, @Andy. I have now done the survey.

MEMarge, Kitty, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  18. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So have I - through the fog.

MEMarge, Kitty, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/decodeMEstudy/photos/a.144895943633950/224737378983139/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1317106828363300865

Amw66, Michelle, cfsandmore and 7 others like this.
  20. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The things that immediately come to mind are:
    - Via contacts with local support groups. I wonder if a network of people involved with local support groups could be formed such that getting information distributed (assuming a one or two people in each group are active)
    - Via Clinics/GP surgeries etc
    - Via Carer support groups which may get people indirectly - Again there may be people online and involved here who know people involved in carer groups who could help distrubute information.

Other than that media is probably the way to go which is a lot harder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.