1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Mail: EXCLUSIVE: Barely able to leave the house, told they are exaggerating and even that their ailment does not exist: Three ME patients reveal

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Daily Mail: EXCLUSIVE: Barely able to leave the house, told they are exaggerating and even that their ailment does not exist: Three ME patients reveal their daily struggle with the crippling condition

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...eveal-daily-struggle-crippling-condition.html
    • It's a controversial condition that has been swept under the carpet for decades
    • But myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) is physical - and is not made up by patients
    • Millions of lives across the world are being ruined by the unrelenting condition
    • Sufferers often left house-bound, confined to their beds and unable to move far
    • MailOnline spoke to three sufferers who spoke about their daily struggle
    It's a controversial condition which leaves sufferers house-bound, confined to their beds, reliant on feeding tubes and even needing help to get them in the shower.

But myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has been beset by controversy for decades amid claims it is merely psychological.

Instead, the truth is that the condition, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome, is physical - not just made up by patients…

Ellie_Finesse, Hutan, zzz and 23 others like this.
  2. stuck

stuck Established Member

"Lives are being stolen..." at least they're beginning to characterize the predicament.

Ellie_Finesse, Hutan, Kitty and 14 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not prepared to click on anything on the Daily Mail or Mail on Sunday website, but it is good that even this ghastly populist tabloid is presenting a more objective account.

Ellie_Finesse, Hutan, Kitty and 14 others like this.
  4. Theresa

Theresa Established Member (Voting Rights)

One of the interviewees makes a good point about ME not being an invisible illness but that it is the lack of knowledge and acceptance making people feel invisible, there is not a test to diagnose the illness but it is often clear sufferers are ill, and there are many illnesses where sufferers will not appear ill to a layperson that are not called invisible

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Mail coverage is a lot better than the so called broadsheets worst coverage in my opinion apart from Frances Ryan articles is the grauniad.

As time passes - now 5 years since diagnosis and becoming a member of ME community - I try to take a step back from all such publicity which I’m not the audience for

. Personally I get frustrated by repetitive articles about personal stories. However I realise the personal story is the price to be paid for getting some coverage. So long as the factual stuff about research is in there so be it.

The ones to worry about are where some random person manages to publicise their own non fact based perspective, recovery through channel swimming, or crowdfunding for ‘treatment’

6. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Daily Mail is all over the place with its coverage of ME - some of it's been pretty good, some bad.

In July 2006, journalist, Gill Swain, had written a long article about Lynn Gilderdale, who died in December 2008:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-393915/Trapped-bed-14-years-chronic-fatigue.html

Trapped in bed for 14 years with chronic fatigue
    By GILL SWAIN, Daily Mail

Last updated at 08:36 05 July 2006

She can't swallow. She can't speak. She's in constant pain. Yet some doctors say Lynn's illness is all in the mind. Read her story and you'll never be flippant about 'yuppie flu' again...

Kitty, shak8, Frankie and 13 others like this.
  7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

strange that there was no controversy until the insurance companies bottom feeding lapdogs created it .

Kitty, ProudActivist, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  8. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There used to be a website, called maybe DoNotLink?, which would allow you to access sites such as the Daily Mail where you might not want to give them the satisfaction of recording your visit. I don't know if it still exists.

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We are now well over 2500 known biological markers occurring, though we have yet to prove any biomarker/s is/are diagnostic, or even universal. Some biomarkers are at sixteen standard deviations from normal, just not things doctors test for. Those tests doctors use are for OTHER conditions. What we have instead are markers we share with many other conditions, including sepsis and African Sleeping Sickness, but secondary not diagnostic markers, so they are not tested for.

(edit - meant to write sepsis, not MS. Doh.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    alktipping, Kitty, Snowdrop and 6 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Our mate Simon seems to have got his knickers in a twist for some reason, bless him.
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/WesselyS/status/1234129308978962432
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1234129308978962432

11. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, rainy, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I presume it's the 'the mind and the body are one'. So that whether it's physical or psychological does not matter. It is a feed back loop that one affects the other and they cannot be separated. If I'm thinking this through clearly.

This distinction (or lack of) has been discussed on several threads over time if memory serves. I wish there was a really tightly argued summary to refer to when this issue comes up. It seems to be somewhat central to understanding both the BPS and the bio views.

In this case the devil is in the details I think. On the face of it SW is right. But one must dig deeper and define terms as to meaning and understand what is being said as to the concepts involved.

Again, I'm hoping someone with much more brain power than me can throw some light on the topic.

ladycatlover, Kitty, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many times can Simon Wessely keep writing this stuff?

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

As many times as Michael Sharpe can be chased away from CFS research by nasty patients?

15. large donner

large donner Guest

Wesselys objection will be to the notion that "merely psychological" will be stigmatising mental illness instead of pushing the idea that its just as debilitating and serious as physical illness.

Yet at the same time he claims there should be no distinction made whilst also trying to popularise the current obsession with convincing everyone that we are all mentally ill and need to "get talking".

Presumably once everyone has been to the GP and said they feel a bit sad sometimes they too can go on the list as mentally ill and face a future of denial should they ever experience a physical health issue or have the need to claim a benefit or an insurance payment or even dare to try to access health care.

16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we could invite him to participate in a moderated thread to explain his views. There are quite a few quotes, fair quotes, that could do with explanation. One can understand a reluctance to join in the sort of shouting match which often develops, but he can never obtain the sort of rehabilitation he seeks without engagement.

17. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reason ME patients don't want their illness viewed as psychological is that their symptoms will be viewed as inconsequential (I.E exercise can't harm you). Like it or not there are distinct concepts of physical and mental in the hearts and minds of the general public (and the medical profession) and these affect how patients are treated. The BPS crowd know this but pretend it doesn't matter.
    I once e-mailed Simon Wessely asking him for evidence for his claims that ME is perpetuated by psychological and social factors. He e-mailed me back saying that's like asking "when did you stop beating your wife?".

ladycatlover, rainy, Hutan and 22 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think you misunderstand Simon. His goal is to distract from the horrible situation patients are in (which he is partially responsible for) and to cultivate his public image.

He would gain nothing from dialogue.

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I personally wouldn't want to play any part in his rehabilitation, not unless there was an overwhelming benefit to PwME in doing so.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Nellie and 7 others like this.
  20. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's rather overfamiliar of him.

What do you think he meant by that? That he finds it an offensive question?...

ladycatlover, Hutan, MEMarge and 3 others like this.