1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Childhood sleep and adolescent CFS/ME: evidence of associations in a UK birth cohort (2018) Crawley et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by MeSci, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My daughter is 16 too, and shares the glandular fever onset. (we don't do serology here to know if EBV/CMV)

Sleep was not an issue pre illness although the teenage shift had an impact. Now the phase has shifted by about 5 hours and " resetting" the bodyclock does not address this - it just means less sleep is had.
    Lack of sleep exacerbates symptoms significantly- it can also affect immune status.

Aetiology does have the perfectionist/ high achiever aspect perhaps best summed up by Dr Bansal. Anxiety was present pre ME ( bullying issues may have reinforced any underlying anxiety)
    Interestingly we feel that there is a high functioning ASD aspect - and this does seem to be part of some adolsecent female presentation which is not picked up. From looking at issues with sulfur methylation ( from problems with metabolism of some compounds particularly noticeable after chickenpox and glandular fever) and aspbergers we seem to fit this picture- this does make things much more difficult as ASD is certainly set up for male predominance. If you have not considered this it may be worthwhile - it explains why CBT for anxiety for my daughter pre ME never had a chance. We are trying to see how we check out this hunch without CAMHS involvement.

chicaguapa and Trish like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

3. chicaguapa

chicaguapa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's interesting @Amw66 as my daughter has always been borderline high functioning ASD too but never diagnosed (just taken into account informally). The psychologist is aware of this from our time at the sleep clinic (which is in the same child psychology unit), so I wonder how that impacts on the CBT she's getting. I'll have to ask.

MEMarge, Amw66 and Trish like this.