1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A general thread on the PACE trial!

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Nov 7, 2017.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

I did a quick look and as far as I can see, Blanchflower's first post on the subject was this one:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1088518052046622725

I presume he doesn't follow ME Action UK, so he must have gone looking for that tweet. Or been sent a link to it. He has not got involved in this debate by chance.

No evidence, but my guess would be that he has been asked to intervene.

I take two things from that: first, it was a response to the parliamentary debate, so clearly the PACE crowd think that debate was important; second, the best they can come up with to defend them is an economist mate. Since these are now senior professors with long careers behind them, it speaks volumes they can only get an economist friend to stand up for them.

It reminds me of Sharpe's tweets last year leading up to the Westminster Hall debate.

Sly Saint, Woolie, Hutan and 17 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe he followed the #medebate

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 10 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ok so being impassioned is fine but where is any credible evidence that the research is wrong? Not made up whining

OK, so why does Simon Wessely's lawyer best mate agree PACE is rubbish?
    Why do people with no vested interest in ME think it is rubbish?
    Have you read the trial Dr Blanchflower? (as they say).
    Because if you have you should know it is rubbish.
    Unless of course you know nothing about science.

Maybe Dr Blanchflower runs courses in the Lightning Process.

Hutan, MEMarge, ScottTriGuy and 10 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 11 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An alternative theory about Danny Blanchflower: I remember a discussion on The Bad Science forum where one of the guys who was defending the recovery criteria for the PACE Trial mentioned he had damaged his ankle and was told not to expect full function after an operation so recovery didn't necessarily mean full function so similarly recovery for people with ME should not necessarily mean full function. There were some pretty outspoken people on that forum last time I was there.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Robert 1973, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 8 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably you meant to say "so similarly recovery for people with ME should not necessarily mean full function".

ukxmrv, Invisible Woman and Dolphin like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cheers. Fixed.

9. Barry

I frequently find myself coming back to why (oh why oh why) some people cannot appreciate the way subjective primary outcomes alone are unacceptable in an unblinded study. I'm sure there are various reasons, but to me one stands out, and it's a sort of self-fulfilling fallacy.
    • The premise that the illness is due to distorted illness perceptions. i.e. The patient's subjectivity is at odds with their illness reality.
    • So the best way of measuring this must be to capture the patients perceptions, to check if their subjectivity aligns closer to reality.
    • No need for objective outcomes therefore, because it's all about subjectivity.
    • But the "reality" being checked against is in the researchers heads, and is not reality at all. But they cannot see that.
    • This has to be the ultimate in confirmation bias! Which I suppose is what religion is all about.

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a thought but I think that not enough is made of the fact that PACE was a complete waste of resources. Even Wessely tries to dither about how important it is (even though he is proud to celebrate it in a proper forum, receive awards over his contributions that preceded PACE and onto it and how courageous he has been all these years for standing up to / stomping on the neck of a disabled population / militant savages).

PACE was sold as the definitive trial, the one to end once and for all the debate over whether CBT and GET are the best treatment for it (despite literally no one asking that question but the ones trying to fabricate an answer to it). And even its chief architect tries to distance himself from it. It is held as A piece of evidence but even Cochrane basically argues that even with PACE's faults, there are other (tiny, subjective, low quality, high bias) trials that confirm the same even though PACE was done precisely to be the ultimate test of those same trials. It's a mutual admiration peer-review society (with literally the same people giving each other A's in exchange for their own A's).

£5M and it's both a footnote and a crowning achievement despite having shown a null result on 1 year follow-up, and the shadiest possible tiny "benefit" on self-reporting to a population that can at best described as "possibly having CFS, maybe some ME, who knows?". It's a thing of beauty when good things are said about it (which is always as little as possible), and a minor piece of evidence among an imaginary body of evidence suffering from all of PACE's flaws, and then some, when it is criticized (and once the customary accusations of militant savagery have been dispensed).

My point is: it wasn't a wild experiment. It wasn't a first tentative try with very subdued expectations. It was THE trial that followed 20 years of research and was one of the largest psychological trials ever done. Research is expected to fail. But PACE wasn't step 1 in a process. It was the last, final step, built on years of work and preparation by dozens of academics.

I say this because it's easy to dismiss this argument saying research should be allowed to fail and anyway lots of research on biomedical aspects of ME have failed. Research should absolutely be allowed to fail, especially prospective research. But this was as far from prospective research as it gets, it was the nth and final step in a very long process that was meant to end the debate once and for all.

Because even the most generous interpretation is that there may, possibly, in some cases, be a statistically significant effect, if you try for weeks to convince a group of people who may or may not have ME that they aren't even sick at all. This is the best, most generous interpretation (aside from bald-faced lies like Sharpe touting a cure, for those who want it). This most generous interpretation is the final frontier in a 2 decade-long dogged pursuit that add up to millions more in funding the same trial over and over again with tiny variations.

I just think that maybe there is a proper framing that can have a few people pissed off that all this funding was wasted on an ideological ego trip. Because after all this, the answer to life, the universe and everything is still: "more research is needed to assess the efficacy of this treatment but of course it is also the literal word of god and anyone who criticizes it is mentally unstable". Why is utter mediocrity so richly rewarded? Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Hutan, Snowdrop, Maggie and 14 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Just another spiv from the old boys' network who didn't do his due diligence. And once they have made their public stand, particularly in the manner he has, they cannot walk it back without serious loss of face and reputation.

This is how the PACErs and BPS cult operate. Co-opt, compromise, and corrupt the rest of the power structure. It is deliberate, systematic, relentless, and utterly ruthless.

See also Lord Winston.

Hutan, MEMarge, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Only because the objective outcomes didn't deliver.

If the objective outcomes had supported the subjective outcomes, and especially if the correlation was strong, the PACE and BPS crowd would have been screaming that from the rooftops, and rightly so.

But the objective didn't support the subjective. Even the subjective outcome results were within the range of known biases and confounders.

They literally have nothing. Yet here we are.

Robert 1973, Hutan, Snowdrop and 11 others like this.
  13. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure that saying "I was not talking about patients honestly" helps his cause. A little more care required, perhaps.

andypants, EzzieD, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So, according to Blanchflower, patients can't be activists/activists can't be patients, and all science is good and shouldn't be attacked. I shouldn't be but I'm still surprised at how dumb some supposedly smart people can actually be.

Woolie, Robert 1973, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These musings of his seem of little import when one considers that he was on the Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee in the lead up to the crash. With such perspicacity and prescience it is perhaps not surprising that we are where we are.

Chezboo, Hutan, andypants and 9 others like this.
  17. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's trying to open the door onto an argument he does feel comfortable about. The death threats....

The "activists" who by some strange warped logic these people have, have simultaneously been right about PACE all along, and defending science against the bad science of the PACE doctors but because of a few angry letters or Youtube videos or emails nullify everything they were actually right about - and can be used to put down any ME patient.

It's irrelevant to the Blanchflowers that one side was right and one side was wrong. The PACE team merely from the experience of being tackled over their lies and abuse are the lillywhite ones as if sanctified by the experience and absolved and innocent of any wrongdoing.

Suddenly he is back on his white horse again and the hero.

Given that he cannot muster a logical or scientific argument FOR the Pace trial he only has one trick up his sleeve now.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Woolie, MEMarge, andypants and 7 others like this.
  18. Barry

Precisely.
    Activist do good work all the time. Smear campaigners have tried to redefine the word for some time now. And yes, intelligence has it's many sub-groups I think, and it seems a single person can have high scores in some and dire scores in others.

Woolie, MEMarge, andypants and 7 others like this.
  19. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think he is basically saying that and also playing to the stereotype that patients when they are patients loose all knowledge and ability to reason. Hence any analysis from patients is immediately discounted. There is also a huge arrogance in that some seem to think that science should be a closed shop and only others with clear formal qualifications and suitable jobs should be able to criticize. Perhaps that is just job protection.

Woolie, Robert 1973, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, Amw66, Robert 1973 and 11 others like this.