1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was it that said being in support groups leads to poor outcome?

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by JaimeS, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't been able to find an archived English language edition of WHO's unmodified ICD-8, yet.

But the German DIMDI site has archived facsimile German language versions of ICD-8 Tabular list and Index that can be downloaded as PDFs from very large Zip files:

https://www.dimdi.de/dynamic/de/klassifikationen/downloads/?dir=icd-vorrevisionen

Here is a screenshot from Chapter VI

[​IMG]

Again, no inclusion under the code

323 Enzephalitis, Myelitis und Enzephalomyelitis

for Myalgische Enzephalomyelitis or [German translation of Benign] Myalgische Enzephalomyelitis.

Nor can I see any "Myalgische Enzephalomyelitis" in the Index that is indexed to code 323.

OK, this a German language version of ICD-8 but I remain to be convinced that the term "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis" or "Myalgic encephalomyelitis" was included in ICD-8 at code 323.

Although 323 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis was.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Inara and Wonko like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.wolfbane.com/icd/icd8.htm - english version - I would agree on what it says, what I have no idea on is how to interpret what "323 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis" actually means - in terms of M.E. - when all of the sources I have access to say this does mean M.E. was included in ICD-8 - maybe that's WHO doctor speak for it, no idea.

It occurs to me that there should be a way of getting a definitive answer, but as that would probably involve speaking to someone, in the WHO, who was involved in 1969, and as far as I am aware the WHO doesn't dain to talk to mortals.......

Inara likes this.
  3. Dx Revision Watch

Understood; I'm just keen to have this clarified, since Wikipedia gives no public domain source and MEpedia has relied on Wikipedia, and also provides no public domain source.

On one of the Wikipedia pages for CFS or history of CFS in ICD, I noted that the Hooper document I have quoted from in Post #158 has been used as a reference for another statement. Possibly Wikipedia has relied on that Hooper document for the content of pp. 158, (vol 2, pp. 173) of the ICD-8, since it is so difficult to find a public domain version.

Although I've seen multiple statements across the Internet that "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has been classified in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as a neurological disorder since 1969..."

I've yet to see concrete evidence that the term, per se, was included in ICD-8, as opposed to

323 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis

or that it was included as an inclusion term under 323, prior to its ICD-9 listing in the Index (where it was coded to 323.9 Encephalitis of unspecified cause).

I'd be happy to be shown otherwise if anyone happens to have a copy of the unmodified ICD-8 Tabular or Index on file.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Hutan, Inara, Sly Saint and 2 others like this.
  4. Dx Revision Watch

Oh, WHO does talk to mortals, and I've been talking to them since 2009, but it's like trying to get blood out of a stone, nail jelly to the ceiling, interpret the obfuscation etc.

See:

http://www.centralx.com/diseases/icd295.htm

This is ICD-9 Tabular List and it lists various inclusions under code 323

323 Encephalitis, myelitis, and encephalomyelitis

Includes: acute disseminated encephalomyelitis
    meningoencephalitis, except bacterial
    meningomyelitis, except bacterial
    myelitis (acute):
    ascending
    transverse
    Excludes: bacterial:
    meningoencephalitis
    meningomyelitis

323.5 Encephalitis following immunization procedures

Encephalitis postimmunization or postvaccinal
    Encephalomyelitis postimmunization or postvaccinal
    Use additional E code, if desired, to identify vaccine

323.8 Other
    323.9 Unspecified cause (this is where BME was indexed to for ICD-9)

---------------

Here is ICD-10 - the current version for 2015 in which "Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis" continues to be listed:

http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2016/en#/G04

G04 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis

Incl.:
    acute ascending myelitis
    meningoencephalitis
    meningomyelitis

Excl.:
    benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (G93.3)
    encephalopathy:

. NOS (G93.4)
    . alcoholic (G31.2)
    . toxic (G92)

multiple sclerosis (G35)
    myelitis:

. acute transverse (G37.3)
    . subacute necrotizing (G37.4)

So BME is specifically excluded from G04 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis in ICD-10 - and has been since at least the 2008 Version, which is here:

http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2008/en#/G04

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Inara, Sly Saint, Nellie and 2 others like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fascinating. Perhaps you should tweet that, to get the word out in the community.

6. Dx Revision Watch

What I still require for confirmation is the English language version of Volume I of the unmodified ICD-8 (a publication that is now 50 years old) and also a copy of the ICD-8 Index. Although terms listed in the Tabular List would be expected to be found in the Index, not all terms in the Index are found in the Tabular List.

The Hooper document (and Wikipedia, who may or may not have relied on the Hooper document) states:

"Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has been classified in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as a neurological disorder since 1969, when it was included in ICD-8 at Volume I: code 323: page 158 and in Volume II (the Code Index) on page 173. (ICD-8 was approved in 1965 and published in 1969)."​

So according to the above (and according to the Wikipedia reference) the term would be expected to be included in Volume 1 either at code 323 (which is evidently isn't) or listed as an inclusion under 323, and also listed in Volume II The Alphabetical Index, indexed to code 323.

The image in Post #161 from the 1998 German language version appears to be what is now called a "Top level" category list (i.e. it lists the three digit Title terms but not their Inclusions, Exclusions or any four digit sub-category codes).

I've now found the PDFs for the chapter by chapter facsimile of the Tabular List and this is the listing for ICD-8 code 323 (pp 252-3 in this German language version).

Caveat: It's not clear to me to what extent the code sets in this German language version may have been modified before publication or whether it largely mirrored the WHO's ICD-8 English language version.

https://www.dimdi.de/dynamic/de/klassifikationen/downloads/?dir=icd-vorrevisionen

[​IMG]
    Continued on Page 253

[​IMG]

Ausschlüsse (abbreviated to ausschl. for the Tabular List) = Excludes or Exclusions

Enzephalitis:

(...)

postinfektiöse, Erreger unbekannt = Encephalitis: (...) Postinfectious, pathogen (or causative agent) unknown

-------------------------------------

According to the CDC document:

https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/icd_code-cdc-march-2001.pdf

for the WHO's ICD-9:

"The term "benign myalgic encephalomyelitis" appears in the alphabetic index and references code 323.9, Encephalitis of unspecified cause. The code 323.9 did not include reference to postviral syndrome."

It would seem a little odd, to me, if the term "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis" per se, had already been included in the ICD-8 Tabular List as an inclusion term under code 323 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis, but then for ICD-9, listed only in the Index (where it was indexed to a sub-category of the 323 code, 323.9 Encephalitis of unspecified cause).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Inara and Wonko like this.
  7. Dx Revision Watch

Apologies for taking the thread somewhat off topic.

I'll update with a clarification when I've obtained copies or scans of the entry for Code 323 in the WHO's English version of ICD-8 Volume I and Volume 2 The Alphabetical Index. I may put a request out on Twitter as I have a number of clinicians and coders who "Follow" me.

Inara, Nellie, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

I note that Leela Play has had a similar problem substantiating the claim made in the Prof Hooper document:

(No longer available at this URL)

Cached page:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...on.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=opera

There is a copy of this Hooper document here (on an Invest in ME page):

http://resime.org/Article 010-Encephalopathy Hooper.htm

So this claim that BME was included in ICD-8 Tabular and Index in 1969 is being frequently reiterated by ME advocates and others, yet there is no documentary evidence that I can find, other than obtaining a copy of the 50 year old print edition of the WHO unmodified ICD-8, that would provide evidence.

Edited to add: See Post #172 for update

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    MEMarge, Inara, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara, Trish, chrisb and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dx Revision Watch

Given the lack of evidence for "50 Years in ICD" I hope that those involved in the Facebook initiative will obtain clarification.

Also, given the current uncertainty over proposals for ICD-11, I wouldn't start celebrating just yet...

I'll clarify if and when I obtain sight of a copy of ICD-8.

Once again, sorry for taking thread OT.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    NelliePledge, Keela Too and Inara like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In this post, specifically referring to the text written by Authors: Michael C. Sharpe & Patrick G. O'Malley :

https://www.s4me.info/threads/chapt...son-psychiatry-third-edition.5347/#post-96079

The paragraph on "Social factors" answers the question originally put in this thread :

upload_2018-8-12_16-0-34.png

If you actually go and look at the book concerned, you might be able to get the exact references, but I'm having problems viewing it.

I did look for the Bentall reference (but not the others) and found this :

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...ue-syndrome/51EA5BB4B2A135D47AB5855C80F209BE#

Predictors of response to treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome

upload_2018-8-12_16-7-36.png

Hutan, Inara, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. Dx Revision Watch

The WHO IRIS platform has archived versions of many WHO publications.

From this page:

http://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/70934

you can download a PDF of the ICD-8 Tabular List (1967) and a PDF of the ICD-8 Alphabetical Index (1969). There are also files for ICD-9 Tabular (1975) and Index (1978).

ICD-8 Tabular List:

Page 158:

[​IMG]

ICD-8 Index (1969)

Page 173:

[​IMG]

So "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis" does appear listed in the ICD-8 Index (1969), indexed to code 323.

But the nearest entries in the ICD-8 Tabular List appear to be

Encephalomyelitis NOS or
    Encephalitis NOS

with no "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis", per se.

(NOS = "Not otherwise specified")

I will let Leela know that the PDFs are obtainable.

---------------

The PDF files for ICD-9 Tabular and Index are here:

http://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/40492

http://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/39473

For ICD-9, the CDC document [1] says:

"...The term “benign myalgic encephalomyelitis” appears in the alphabetic index and references code 323.9, Encephalitis of unspecified cause. The code 323.9 did not include reference to postviral syndrome. The term “postviral syndrome” was classified to code 780.7, Malaise and fatigue, in Chapter 16, Symptoms, signs and ill-defined conditions."

1 A Summary of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Its Classification in the International Classification of Diseases Prepared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Office of the Center Director, Data Policy and Standards March 2001
    https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/icd_code-cdc-march-2001.pdf

Edited to add, for completeness:

ICD-9 Tabular List (1975) Page 217:

Again, no specific entry for "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis" in the ICD-9 Tabular List. But BME is included in the ICD-9 Index, indexed to 323.9 Unspecified cause, which tallies with the information in the CDC document on the indexing of BME in the ICD-9 Index.

[​IMG]

ICD-9 Index Page 182:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Hutan, Sly Saint, Sean and 9 others like this.
  13. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Steadily working my way through. I've now reached the chapter by Susan E. Abbey entitled "Somatization, illness attribution and the sociocultural psychiatry of chronic fatigue syndrome".

I wondered what others would make of this:
    This is used as a justification for use of CBT to correct these misattributions. However, it seems at odds with what they say on the previous page with regard to somatization:

She then goes on to say that the downside of this is "learned helplessness", which is what hampers rehabilitation. That, somehow, attribution to a viral cause leads to loss of all control and self-efficacy, and perpetuates avoidance and disability.

But what struck me is that in psychiatry they are often trying to do the opposite. To provide relief from psychiatric symptoms, they try to externalise the condition - to blame it all on something in the past (childhood trauma or whatever). To them, both are essentially memories of past trauma (childhood trauma/viral trauma) - so why is one seen as useful and the other not? It seems that, in CFS, they seem to want patients to internalise, and blame themselves. If externalising is so useful, why are they so keen to abandon it?

There seems to be a strong element of cakeism about much of this material!

Hutan, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  14. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I find interesting is that they suggest that the sufferer is to blame for his disease. Since the sufferer doesn't want this blame and guilt (which are right) he "invents" the story of an infectious agent (which is wrong).

Edit: Sorry @Lucibee, I now understand that's what you said.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Snow Leopard and Wonko like this.
  15. Lucibee

That's one interpretation, but I don't think even they go quite that far. I think they are willing to accept that the viral infection happened (and was not invented as such), and Wessely is certainly prepared to accept that it may even be the trigger, but they attribute all subsequent illness to "maladaptive behaviours" and not to anything pathological persisting from the initial infection (and it may not be from the initial infection - it may be from something before that - but that doesn't really matter).

From talking to all of you (correct me if I'm wrong), I get the strong impression that the reason for your frustration with SW, PW & MS is that you've already been on their theoretical journey and tried and tested it endless times. The most natural assumption to make is that you just need to take things slow and gradually work your way out of it - but that does. not. work. - and they only way to know that, is to live it every single day. Once you get into the clinic with one of these guys, you do what you can to get out of there as quickly as possible, and if that requires "showing some progress", then that's what you do.

I wondered about those poor patients that Wessely saw in the in-patient ward. But I guess it's the same - they probably put on a Herculean effort to "show progress" (faking improvement) so that they could get out of that toxic environment as quickly as they could. But we'll never know.

Hutan, EzzieD, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

if they want to talk about maladaptive beliefs and behaviours this is what they should focus on - patients are having to either A consciously bend the truth to their medical professionals (as usually not doctors involved) just saying what they want to hear to get out of the system with least possible damage, or B are subconsciously adopting the belief that they are improving (in the absence of any objective evidence) because they are brainwashed into it which is when they are at most risk of harm.

the reason they dont like support groups is that anyone who comes into contact with a support group with informed people before taking part in the so called treatment will fall into category A (I was fortunate enough to be in this group and was able to apply damage limitation) but they want people to really succumb to the brainwashing and dont care about the risks of harm

Hutan, MEMarge, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  17. Lucibee

@JaimeS and @chrisb - I think I've tracked it back a bit further.

Wessely et al. (1989) [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1711569/] has this:

The conventional view
    You are ill with a poorly understood disease. Physical and mental
    activity should be limited in an effort to prevent further
    deterioration in your condition. Work, housework, childcare and
    physical exercise need to be avoided or approached with caution.
    An upsurge in symptoms should lead to further rest. This
    approach may help limit your symptoms until they resolve or
    a treatment becomes available. This is the 'conventional' view
    (ME Action Campaign factsheet, 1988).

and

"Many sufferers have been told that 'physical and mental exertion is to be avoided'
    (ME Action Campaign factsheet, 1988). This may be correct in some cases, but
    there is as yet no way that these cases can be identified."

Now I just need to find that factsheet... I suspect it is referring to the early days of the illness, which would be correct advice.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes @Lucibee I think that's the one. I found this in the book:

"…….The beneficial effect of rest and deleterious effect of activity is so much a part of the concept of ME that the person who did the most to advance the case for ME in the country wrote that "if some doctors get beneficial effects after exercise then the patients are not suffering from ME. (Ramsey).

What might happen if such advice is not heeded? A self-help book tells sufferers that they must only do "seventy five per cent of what you are capable of...unless you want to plummet down with another relapse soon, you really must follow the rule of doing less than you think you can". (Dawes and Downing)…..The original fact sheets produced by one of the self help groups for ME sufferers stated in bold type "For the majority of ME sufferers physical and mental exertion is to be avoided and adequate rest essential. Important if you have muscle fatigue do not exercise, this could cause a severe relapse" (ME Action Campaign1989) although it is a pleasure to record that the patients organisations them selves now regard such advice as simplistic."

It seems unreasonable to criticise patients groups for following what had effectively been standard advice since Acheson's 1959 paper, but I am not entirely sure that certain parties have read that.

ETA @p286 Coping behaviour

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    ukxmrv, MEMarge, Lucibee and 4 others like this.
  19. Lucibee

Which book?

MEMarge and Wonko like this.
  20. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chronic Fatigue and its Syndromes. Simon Wessely, Matthew Hotopf and Michael Sharpe. OUP 1998.

MEMarge, Sean, Lucibee and 1 other person like this.