USA: National Institutes of Health (NIH) intramural ME/CFS study

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simon M, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts

I have had access to the NIH intramural study report but it is embargoed until next week. We can have a full discussion then.

I think it may be useful to examine their attempts to analyse brain activity and the role of sympathetic drive. I am not convinced so far that they are not looking at an artefact of being a test subject in a study. That could be overcome with studies of a range of other conditions.

Another thing that struck me, which might also be of relevance to DecodeME, is that they gathered quite a big cohort of people who had been told they had ME but did not fit criteria in the end. For the NIH study it was much bigger than the studied cohort. I think there would be very valuable information in studying these 'not quite ME' subjects to see to what extent they are different from ME subjects. In other words rather than simply bemoaning the inconsistency of diagnostic criteria for studies we should exploit the grey area to find out what is specific and what is not.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2024
    sebaaa, Perrier, Ariel and 30 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"For the NIH study it was much bigger than the studied cohort." --- NIH study?
    EDIT - the Nath (NIH) study?

Thank you very much - I'll need to think about your reply (you're way ahead of me - great!). I think I noticed sleep studies - another option?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    alktipping, Solstice, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That sounds ominous. I hope they are not placing weight on the old HPA axis, sympathetic overaction, it's really just stress hypothesis beloved of some BPS people.

Perrier, Ariel, Robert 1973 and 17 others like this.
  4. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, @B_V

Ariel, Hutan, Comet and 10 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

We will no doubt debate it at length next week!

tmrw, Hutan, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  6. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like another nightmare about to hit us.

Perrier, Chezboo, V.R.T. and 6 others like this.
  7. FMMM1

I wonder if Nath found cases where it looked like ME but was "X" and "X" is treatable?

8. Jonathan Edwards

It doesn't have to be. Stress is by definition a response to a threat. If the autonomic nervous system is screwed up by something like dysregulated cholinesterase (a bit like the screwed up AChR in myasthenia) then the effects could stop people in their tracks in the absence of any current threat. And lymphocytes have ACh receptors.

sebaaa, Ariel, Ash and 17 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect I have postexertional sympathetic overactivation. I think it's just a consequence of exertion being somehow physically more stressful than normal, so it triggers these threat responses. Prolonged upright posture also triggers it. Maybe that is an important clue: a manifestation of suboptimal perfusion?

The psychosomatic theorists are detached from reality and so full of their ideas that they can't listen and observe what is really happening in this illness.

sebaaa, Ariel, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  10. FMMM1

Thank you very much for the insight.

OK my standard post (no need to reply!) would this be expected to have a genetic signature i.e. DecodeME or a rare genetic variant (whole genome sequence) study?

EDIT - "dysregulated cholinesterase" - "Gulf War" syndrome comes to mind!

Further EDIT(!) "lymphocytes" have they been shown to be relevant?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    RedFox, Kitty, jaded and 2 others like this.
  11. FMMM1

Don't know e.g. "dysregulated cholinesterase" (see Jonathan's comment) was raised re Gulf War syndrome ---

RedFox, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not clear from the comment if the NIH paper found anything in relation to cholinesterase or if this is just speculation based on the finding of sympathetic overactivation and what could be causing that.

RedFox, Kitty, FMMM1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Trish

I guess we'll just have to wait until publication day on Wednesday. Not much point speculating before that. I don't hold out high hopes on the grounds that they don't, from their previous papers on PEM, have a good grasp of what it is, so how did they manage to diagnose accurately, and the small sample size.

sebaaa, Ariel, Lou B Lou and 8 others like this.
  14. FMMM1

I agree.
    Interesting though (for me) that they struggled to find "true ME/CFS" i.e. many (/most?) didn't meet the criteria. I think Jonathan's comment, re this "grey" area being useful, is interesting.

15. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wasn't it. I'd assumed a good number of the exclusions could be due to comorbidities / medication / recent surgery / ongoing investigation / pregnancy or fertility treatment / etc, but it would be puzzling if that wasn't the case.

16. FMMM1

Interesting ---comorbidities --- cause or consequence or unrelated? If unrelated then presumably those with that [co-occurring] disease have the same incidence of ME/CFS as the rest of the population -- 0.4% or whatever?

I think the problem with PEM is that it's based on a questionnaire --- although maybe that's accurate?

Chezboo, Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  17. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perrier, Binkie4, John Mac and 8 others like this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People with co-morbidities might be excluded from some trials because they have diseases with overlapping symptoms, so it's not possible to say for certain which of them is causing Symptom X or Y. This could make the results of some studies unacceptably muddy.

I wasn't even sure I'd able to take part in DecodeME because I have psoriatic arthritis, which can cause severe fatigue during active phases. Also, my medication has side effects in some people that might be confused with ME symptoms. (In the end I was invited to submit a sample, but the disease might rule me out of some types of trial, specially if medication's involved.)

FMMM1, Ash, Simon M and 5 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. Trish

Kitty, Andy and Peter Trewhitt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.