1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA Centers for Disease Control (CDC) news (including ME/CFS Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Calls) - next event 6 May 2024

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Sasha, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect it's not limited to liability concerns. Naturally there may be related concerns in play - for instance, insurance lobbies - but I imagine, because we're speaking the US, entrenched worries may run a little deeper.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Ariel and cfsandmore like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sean, cfsandmore, Milo and 3 others like this.
  4. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the CDC trying to cover up last week’s debacle?

Lilas likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Speaker at CDC Event Promotes CBT and “Very Gradual” GET

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a long history of missteps when it comes to the illness or cluster of illnesses currently called ME/CFS—as anyone who has read Osler’s Web knows. In the more recent past—2017–the agency dropped its unfortunate endorsement of the discredited GET/CBT treatment approach but made no public comment about the move until I asked about it. The agency argued that people misunderstood or were confused about what it meant by the terms GET and CBT. This explanation was laughable. No one misunderstood anything. After all, the agency had been citing the PACE trial.

Since then, the CDC has steadfastly refused to acknowledge that its previous reliance on PACE and related research was a serious mistake. This is the country’s leading public health agency. It is disgraceful that no one in leadership has taken responsibility and apologized for spending years citing a trial that qualifies–in my opinion as a public health professional–as a case of serious research misconduct.

This hedging attitude might help explain why the CDC recently hosted a speaker who recommended CBT and GET—albeit “very gradual” GET–as possible treatments. The speaker, Stephen Gluckman, is an infectious disease physician at the University of Pennsylvania. His online talk during the agency’s May Stakeholder Engagement and Communication call was called “The Management Options (yes, there are options) for People with ME/CFS.”

https://www.virology.ws/2022/05/23/...-cdc-event-promotes-cbt-and-very-gradual-get/

Wonko, ahimsa, cfsandmore and 6 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

10 steps forward, 9 steps back.

Every. Damn. Time. :grumpy:

Wonko, alktipping, Lou B Lou and 6 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Laurie P, Dolphin, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sympathetic but pretty bland stuff.
    I suppose the odd person might not like the suggestion that people might have been under physical or mental stress before their illness.
    I don't think she was strong enough on highlighting the epidemiological evidence showing it can often follow an infection.
    But then she quoted very little research.

10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Crosspost:
    It was going so well until about the 8 minute mark:
    "We have not yet identified any one cause, and it’s possible M-E-C-F-S has more than one cause. Some patients report they had a common infection like the flu and then just never fully recovered, and instead developed more long-term symptoms of M-E-C-F-S. An infection could trigger ongoing immune damage or an immune system that is weakened. Physical or emotional stress sometimes precedes M-E-C-F-S symptoms. A stressful event can impact the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis which can result in an imbalance in the body’s main stress hormone, which then leads to changes in the person’s body chemistry. Sometimes we find several members of one family develop M-E-C-F-S, so it’s possible there may be a genetic component or a shared environmental exposure."

Arghh. Maybe the HPA axis is involved but where's the decent evidence for that? Really disappointing to see the CDC spreading unevidenced information, especially when they actually got a lot right in this podcast.

bobbler, alktipping, Lilas and 8 others like this.
  11. Hutan

I guess that makes me an odd person :)
    It's not so much the suggestion that I or others were under stress before the illness, although I don't think I was, certainly not compared to other times in my life when I was more stressed and didn't get the illness.
    It's that unevidenced statements can result in research funds and time being wasted on dead ends, when some careful looking at the research that has been done would avoid that waste.

The HPA axis idea in particular so easily gives encouragement to the people on the 'mindfulness/positive thinking/change your faulty patterns of thinking' bandwagons, which harm patients and have been shown to not deliver any positive therapeutic outcomes.

bobbler, alktipping, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  12. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is completely surreal that there is no mention of the huge influx of people with Long COVID who now meet ME/CFS criteria or how that number greatly raises the total number of people now living with ME/CFS well beyond the 2.5 million that Unger states. :banghead:

alktipping, Wonko, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Welcome to the forum @Laurie P. Yes indeed. 'The elephant in the room' is a phrase that comes to mind. In the brief mention of the possibility of a triggering illness, it was flu that was mentioned.

alktipping, Lilas, cfsandmore and 5 others like this.
  14. Hutan

That would be the SEC calls where David Tuller noted that the guest speaker, Stephen Gluckman, was recommending CBT and GET (link in Andy's post above).

alktipping, Trish, Sean and 2 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't realised the stakeholder calls were only twice a year. That makes it even worse that they waste everyone's time in those calls on inviting ignorant clinicians to spread misinformation.

Ron, alktipping, Sean and 7 others like this.
  16. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Hutan and Laurie P like this.
  17. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A webinar recording Featuring a presentation titled, “Myalgic Encephalomyelitits/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Management Options,” by Dr. Stephen Gluckman, Professor of Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA and updates from Elizabeth Unger, Ph.D., MD, Branch Chief of Center for Disease Control’s Chronic Viral Disease Branch, and a question and answer with Dr. Gluckman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3hQ_rpO3No

transcript first 20 minutes

Hutan, MeSci, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  19. Tom Kindlon

Sean, Hutan and Wilhelmina Jenkins like this.
  20. Tom Kindlon